• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who was the best/your favorite FB?

Ben Gregory and Choo Choo Charlie Winters were pretty salty FB's back in the day. Solich played FB but was really a HB in disguise. Phil Bates wasn't too shabby either.

Doug Wilkening was my favorite. Just because he was a friend and I knew no one else would mention him.

At the time, he was the fastest fullback we had ever had - ran a 4.6 forty. He was the Chevrolet Player of the Game vs OU in 1982 after scoring two touchdowns. He quit prior to his senior year to hang out with his girlfriend, smoke pot, and ride his mountain bike.

That was 1983. He missed blocking for a Heisman winner and the rest of the Scoring Explosion in their record-setting year.

Such are the decisions we make when we are young. Like many people then, I didn't even know what a mountain bike was. I didn't care for his girlfriend either. Perhaps if he would have played that year, we would have beaten Miami and won the national championship.

But likely not. His leaving made way for some walkon named Mark Schellen who did okay.

Schellen ran a 4.5 forty.

Any love for Judd Davies? Sentimental choice for me as we went to high school together and he tore up high school defenses as a Mustang.
Not really, my only real memory of him was that he wore HUGE shoulder pads and when he was thrown a high pass he was physically unable to bring his hands close enough together to catch the ball...it was funny. Good blocker was it...

Last edited:

Not really, my only real memory of him was that he wore HUGE shoulder pads and when he was throw a high pass he was physically unable to bring his hands close enough together to catch the ball...it was funny. Good blocker was it...

Hahahahhahaha, truth:

Judd+Davies

He also went on to UN Med school and is now a urologist in Omaha. Perhaps there's a bit of irony there as the best Husker FBs are the guys who can knock the s**t out of you. Looks like Judd is still doing that.

:Rolf:

https://judd-davies.squarespace.com/aboutdrdavies/

It’s the Makovickas all the way for me. Loved watching both of them play, and it’s such a fun word to say! Makovicka.

Didn't Judd Davies block on the play that let EC into the endzone against Notre Dame? I was there in the nose bleeds back in 2000 but I seem to remember that. ND fans were a mix that day, nice vs asswholes.

Didn't Judd Davies block on the play that let EC into the endzone against Notre Dame? I was there in the nose bleeds back in 2000 but I seem to remember that. ND fans were a mix that day, nice vs asswholes.

I don't recall if he did. But 2000 was Judd's freshman year, so it's possible. I don't recall if he saw much action as a freshman.

I loved Bryan Carpenter for his "I was never down" screen against CU. That was a fun play, and he was clearly down.

Roger Craig in 1982 deciding to get on the field as a fullback has got to be up there with the biggest team moves I've ever heard of. He was clearly an all conference running back, but not the best on the team. Today he might have been tempted to transfer for his senior year, but back then he took the lemons and made a pretty good drink.

I think he'll get nominated into the NFL HOF in the next couple of years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back