• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will the Huskers break any season passing records this year?

What will be NU's pass completion % for the 2018 season?

• Higher than 80 percent

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • 75 to 80 percent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70 to 75 percent

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • 65 to 70 percent

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • 60 to 65 percent

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • 55 to 60 percent

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • 50 to 55 percent

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • less than 50 percent

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
IMO, right now we have more QB passing talent than at any time in Husker history...perhaps the best pool of QB talent we have ever had. All 3 of our QBs have quick releases, excellent passing strokes, and lots of accuracy. All three have had 8 months to prepare under the guidance of Mario, who is the best QB coach in the business. Surely at least 1 of the 3 will prove to be great at moving the team through the air. We also have a bevy of great play-makers to throw the ball to...at WR, TE, and at RB.

Here are the NU season passing records:

1. Pass completion percentage: 67.86% - Joe Ganz, 2008
2. Total passing yards - 3,568 - Joe Ganz, 2008
3. Yards per passing attempt - 9.75 - Gerry Gdowski, 1989
4. Pass efficiency rating - 177.3 - Gerry Gdowski, 1989

The Oregon-style offense has a history of remarkable passing numbers

2012 Oregon (RS Frosh M. Mariota) - 68.5% - 2,677 passing yards - 8.0 yards per pass attempt - 163.2 PER

2013 Oregon (RS Soph M. Mariota) - 63.5% - 3,665 passing yards - 9.5 yards per pass attempt - 167.7 PER

2014 Oregon (RS Junior M. Mariota) - 68.3% - 4,454 passing yards - 9.5 yards per pass attempt - 181.7 PER

2015 Oregon (SR Vernon Adams) - 64.9 % - 2,643 passing yards - 10.2 yards per pass attempt - 179.1 PER

2017 UCF - (RS Frosh M. Milton) - 67.1% - 4,037 Passing yards - 10.2 yards per pass attempt - 179.3 PER

In 2016 McKenzie Milton completed 57.7% of his passes, had only 1,983 total passing yards (just 9 games as a starter) 5.9 yards per passing attempt, and a PER of only 113. In 2016 Milton had a quick pass release, but he did not have a good passing stroke (he threw sidearm), and he was not an accurate passer. He did not have the advantage of 8 months to prepare under MV, he had a weak offensive line, and he only had a couple of fine play-makers to pass the ball to (WR Tre Quan Smith and TE Jordan Akins). Plus, the 2016 UCF coaching staff was not nearly as familiar with SF's offense as they are now. They could not teach it as well in 2016.

In terms of passing game potential, to compare NU 2018 with UCF 2016 would be a mistake, IMHO.

Poll Question - What will NU's 2018 season pass completion percentage be?

Last edited:

can I vote again?

You can change your vote.

Bunch has a beautiful passing stroke. He also has more college level experience than any of our QBs. Its also been reported that he starts his day at 6 am and finishes at 10 pm. Sounds like his work ethic and willingness to spend extra time in the film room can't be out-matched.

Unfortunately, Andrew's heavy work schedule will prevent him from doing much if any community service work.

;)

If the only thing SF wants this year is a QB who is a reliable ball distributor, Bunch might end up being the guy. During the spring game, Damen Benning spoke highly of AB's ability to manage an offense.

Last edited:

I'd be pretty surprised if we broke any passing records this season. I would guess our QBs will be somewhere near 60% completion.

I'm most interested in seeing efficiency. TD-to-INT ratio of better than 2-to-1 would be a great starting point. Yards per attempt (which @Paramus does have listed) and yards per completion will be important as well.

This year's team will break every Husker passing record, except for INTs thrown.

I'd be pretty surprised if we broke any passing records this season. I would guess our QBs will be somewhere near 60% completion.

I'm most interested in seeing efficiency. TD-to-INT ratio of better than 2-to-1 would be a great starting point. Yards per attempt (which @Paramus does have listed) and yards per completion will be important as well.

2012 Oregon (MM) - 37 TDs/6 picks

2013 Oregon (MM) - 31 TDs/4 picks

2014 Oregon (MM) - 42 TDS/4 picks

2015 Oregon (VA) - 26 TDs/6 picks

2016 UCF (Milton) - 10 TDs/7 picks

2017 UCF (Milton) - 37 TDs/9 picks

It's funny, Marcus Mariota and McKenzie Milton both have the same initials...MM. And now we have Matt Masker!!!

I changed my mind. I think Matt Masker (the newest MM) will be our starter!

:Lol:

Last edited:

2012 Oregon (MM) - 37 TDs/6 picks

2013 Oregon (MM) - 31 TDs/4 picks

2014 Oregon (MM) - 42 TDS/4 picks

2015 Oregon (VA) - 26 TDs/6 picks

2016 UCF (Milton) - 10 TDs/7 picks

2017 UCF (Milton) - 37 TDs/9 picks

It's funny, Marcus Mariota and McKenzie Milton both had the same initials...MM. And now we have Matt Masker!!!

I changed my mind. I think Matt Masker will be our starter!

:Lol:
Outside of 2016 at UCF, those are all very favorable ratios, better than we've had in quite some time.

It has been a long time since we had a QB that could run and pass. My guess would be Joe Ganz being the last one.

Yes, Ganz had good wheels. Zac Taylor could also run pretty well. In SF's offense I think it will be hard to sack our QB, which I think will count against the running yards per carry of our QBs. Most of the passes in SF's offense seem to be quick and short and the receivers are expected to turn them into big gains.

I think we will have lots (and lots) of players capable of turning short, quick pass receptions into large gains.

Short, quick passes = high completion percentage

Quick/fast/elusive pass receivers = many yards per completion, many yards per attempt, and lots of total passing yards.

:Koolaid2:

Last edited:
This year's team will break every Husker passing record, except for INTs thrown.

I think what you are saying is possible, even with the brutal schedule we have. With the QB and receiver talent we have, the potential is there.

I hope the new freshman TE (Jurgens?) gets healthy. Sounds like he is very athletic. He will add another receiving threat to the mix to go along with our superstar TE Jack Stoll. SF loves to throw short passes to his tight ends.

Last edited:

one a better passer, one a better runner. but the one who makes the best decisions will be the starter.

one a better passer, one a better runner. but the one who makes the best decisions will be the starter.

I think all 3 of our QBs are capable of 65% this season.

SF said that his offense will be designed to get passes off quickly. But he also said that pass plays will break down on occasion (blitzes will sometimes get through and sometimes all the receivers will be covered) and his QBs will sometimes need to buy time and make things happen with their feet. There is no doubt in my mind that AM has the best ability to do that. AM is cat-quick and cat-elusive. However, I do not know how much weight that specific ability will carry when deciding who becomes the starter...but it will certainly be one of the decision factors.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back