• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fall Practice (8/8/18) Tons Of Photos And Video

We can have a discussion, that's what this place is for. You can project TG into the NFL before he's played a college game if you want. I just think it's premature to do that.

You can peg him as a me-first, if I don't start, I'm taking my ball and leaving type of kid, and I see him as more of a team player - one who values, works, and contributes at the role he has. The reality is that none of us know how this season (and the next, and the next) will play out.

The competitors hang in there, keep developing, keep scrapping to win the coaches confidence and increase their role - we see that all the time in other teams. Look at the QB situations at Ohio State, Alabama, and many others. Highly recruited, highly talented backup quarterbacks are vying for or have won starting jobs. Joe Burrow hung in there until he graduated and decided to move on and try to play a year, but that was after three years of trying to break through and start at OSU. It's the coaches jobs to manage that situation and build unity, and I think Frost and Verduzco have the talent to do just that. At least at this point in time, TG agrees https://247sports.com/college/nebra...-Andrew-Bunch-Scott-Frost-decision-120495619/

I'm glad we are having this discussion because it means there is FINALLY enough depth at a key position to give us fodder for it. GBR
Frost transferred to a place where he had a better shot at playing time at QB.

Frost transferred to a place where he had a better shot at playing time at QB.

He did at that. And I would say it worked out all right for him.

At this point, about the only truly accurate statement that can be made about our quarterback situation is that it’s a close race, and everyone is working hard to do their best. Anything else is nothing but conjecture, and preseason banter.

Last edited:

Exactly. Just as transferring might work out for Gebbia or anyone else who think they have a better shot at more playing time. It doesn't make them any less of a team player.

At this point, about the only truly accurate statement that can be made about our quarterback situation is that it’s a close race, and everyone is working hard to do their best. Anything else is nothing but conjecture, and preseason banter.
Correct

If you think TG does not want to play in the NFL if he has that level of talent then you are fooling yourself. In regards to his dad, Rich was a mediocre TE who played in 7 games one season. Their situations are vastly different and not comparable.

I get it, I am on an island with one respected poster on this board. I just chose to voice my opinion but I am not going to go back and forth with people who disagree with me.

Sorry to derail the thread.

C
I usually do not disagree with ***. However this is one of those situations where experience and knowledge of football are not all that come in to play. BTW this has been a good and respectful debate. I do think it has run it's course. Especially since none of us know what is in the young man's head.

Here's my take: The 'QB race' discussions are fun and all, but anyone who thinks Martinez doesn't have the inside track to the starting job is living in a fantasy land. If Martinez is the leader at the end of camp, it's obviously his job. If all three are even at the end of camp, it's still Martinez's job. The only thing that will keep AM out of the driver's seat this fall is an unfortunate injury, or him becoming a turnover machine.

All of the "3 way race" talk from the staff is just coach-speak to calm the masses.

As Frost, you don't make multiple cross-country flights in the middle of the night to personally visit Martinez, all while still coaching a completely different undefeated team, just to give the guy a 'chance'. He's the dude Frost wants running the show. Contacting Martinez was literally the first thing Frost did upon deciding to take the NU gig. Priority #1. Frost want his pieces in place in year one.

Here's my take: The 'QB race' discussions are fun and all, but anyone who thinks Martinez doesn't have the inside track to the starting job is living in a fantasy land. If Martinez is the leader at the end of camp, it's obviously his job. If all three are even at the end of camp, it's still Martinez's job. The only thing that will keep AM out of the driver's seat this fall is an unfortunate injury, or him becoming a turnover machine.

All of the "3 way race" talk from the staff is just coach-speak to calm the masses.

As Frost, you don't make multiple cross-country flights in the middle of the night to personally visit Martinez, all while still coaching a completely different undefeated team, just to give the guy a 'chance'. He's the dude Frost wants running the show. Contacting Martinez was literally the first thing Frost did upon deciding to take the NU gig. Priority #1. Frost want his pieces in place in year one.
That's not how Frost works.

The best QB will play. Period.

1st bolded--Link?
2nd bolded--Link?
3rd bolded--Did Frost say Gebbia is not now one of his pieces? If so, Link?

You said AM would be playing for a whole lot of reasons EXCEPT for him being the best.

He doesn't need to be the best. Just needs to be at least as good as the other two.
Everything we've heard from their coaches is all three are dead even. In that case Martinez wins hands-down imho.

If the last week of camp Gebbia is throwing darts and Martinez is throwing picks and fumbling the snap, obviously Martinez sits. That goes without saying. I'm simply analyzing the situation as it's been reported to us all through spring and fall camps, that it's a close race and all guys are fairly equal. In that case I believe Martinez gets the job.

Last edited:

1st bolded--Link?
2nd bolded--Link?
3rd bolded--Did Frost say Gebbia is not now one of his pieces? If so, Link?

You might have noticed I began my post with "Here's my take"...I'll alter those words for clarification: "Here's my personal opinion on the whole scenario".

No link needed for my personal opinion. ;)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back