• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers have four commits, including three from Nebraska, on the Butkus Award high school watch list

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Always great and tell-tale to see this kind of thing.

More at the link.

York senior Garrett Snodgrass was selected to the 2018 Butkus Award high school watch list.

The 6-foot-3, 217-pound Snodgrass is one of three linebackers from Nebraska selected to the list along with Omaha Burke’s Nick Henrich and Scottsbluff’s Garrett Nelson. All three are Nebraska football commits for the 2019 class.

The three linebackers are also the most ever nominated from the state. A fourth Husker commit, Montgomery Bell Academy (Tenn.) ‘backer Jackson Hannah, is also on the watch list.

I cringe everytime someone says that Nebraska shouldn't be the "first job" for assistant coaches or that we shouldn't promote GA's, like there's some drawback to giving young coaches with fire and potential a shot at the 'big time.' It's provincial and stupid, IMO. You need a mix of experience, age, and other demographics on a football staff.

Here's one example of hiring a position coach without "experience" at Nebraska is a huge positive move. Ekeler and Papuchis, IMO, were also excellent hires, especially with more seasoned assistants on defense. The energy, the connection with players...very positive.

Ruud is flat killing it in recruiting.

I cringe everytime someone says that Nebraska shouldn't be the "first job" for assistant coaches or that we shouldn't promote GA's, like there's some drawback to giving young coaches with fire and potential a shot at the 'big time.' It's provincial and stupid, IMO. You need a mix of experience, age, and other demographics on a football staff.

Here's one example of hiring a position coach without "experience" at Nebraska is a huge positive move. Ekeler and Papuchis, IMO, were also excellent hires, especially with more seasoned assistants on defense. The energy, the connection with players...very positive.

Ruud is flat killing it in recruiting.
Papuchis?? At first I thought good, until we saw the results. Pelini's coordinator hires, although noble, probably helped to bring on his demise.

Papuchis was, I think, a pretty good hire as an assistant. It was the decision to promote him to DC when Carl Pelini left that was highly questionable.

You can certainly question the promotion, but I don't think there is any question he was a solid, if not spectacular, assistant hire. He was a great recruiter and the DL was salty as heck.

Losing Sanders, Ekeler, and then Carl took a huge toll. None of the hires after those three measured up to their predecessor(s).

Last edited:
Papuchis?? At first I thought good, until we saw the results. Pelini's coordinator hires, although noble, probably helped to bring on his demise.

I thought Tim Beck’s first two years were promising, but his failure to gameplan and adjust to defenses (see: McNeese St) did him in. There’s a reason Urban cut him loose.

It’s hard to say how much control Papuchis really has over the defense. His DL work was good early on.

You can certainly question the promotion, but I don't think there is any question he was a solid, if not spectacular, assistant hire. He was a great recruiter and the DL was salty as heck.

Losing Sanders, Ekeler, and then Carl took a huge toll. None of the hires after those three measured up to their predecessor(s).

I agree. Bo's initial staff on defense was really good. He just didn't seem to have a good succession plan for the turnover that occurred. Bo kind of gets lumped in with Callahan and Riley but I think he was on track to do well at NU until he had to revamp his defensive staff and his relationship with Perlman tanked.

I thought Tim Beck’s first two years were promising, but his failure to gameplan and adjust to defenses (see: McNeese St) did him in. There’s a reason Urban cut him loose.

It’s hard to say how much control Papuchis really has over the defense. His DL work was good early on.

I liked Beck's creativity, but he lacked the "chess" game, IMO, that our current HC/OC has. Beck's offense wasn't coherent/focused enough. I also feel, and it was pretty obvious in that last bowl game, that he was shackled to a fair degree in what he could do.

Pretty much none and he wasn't able to tell Bo what to do/where to go like brother Carl could. ;)

I'm still trying to figure out why Urban hired him in the first place.

D definitely went south when that happened.

Home state of the 51 on the list:
Florida - 20%
Georgia - 10%
Nebraska and Texas - 6%

That's amazingly impressive given the population size of each state.

Florida: 21 million
Georgia: 10.5 million
Texas: 28 million
Nebraska: 1.9 Million

Percent of U.S. population by state:

Florida: 6.5%
Georgia: 3.21%
Texas: 8.75%
Nebraska: 0.59%

Percentage wise, Florida and Georgia exceeded at a rate of 3x, Texas is under by .69x, and Nebraska exceeded by 10x!
Wowzers!!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back