• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I did ribs this last week

husker6

Huskers Rising
10 Year Member
IMG_20180702_172807.jpg

I think they turned out pretty good.

8 pounds of pork spare ribs and 4 pounds of beef ribs. Rub was salt, paprika, granulated onion and garlic and brown sugar (pork ribs only).

Anyone have a good tip for removing the membrane from baby backs? I've probably tried 10 methods and more often than not, it's a struggle.

Anyone have a good tip for removing the membrane from baby backs? I've probably tried 10 methods and more often than not, it's a struggle.

Leave them on. It keeps the moisture in and usually if they cook long enough, it cooks out the membranes and you don't get that chewy texture.

Take a butter knife and push the tip along the bottom of the last rib to get under the membrane to tear it, then use a paper towel to peel it, think of skinning a catfish.

Take a butter knife and push the tip along the bottom of the last rib to get under the membrane to tear it, then use a paper towel to peel it, think of skinning a catfish.
I've tried that so many times! I'm probably just an idiot or too impatient! Thanks for the tip, I'll try it again next time.

This is the method I use. Sometimes I go to the second to the last rib, then work the knife in and backwards to get the first rib. Then you have something to hang on to when you pull it the rest of the way off.

So gas or coals? How long on your grill?
Had to do it in the oven. Uncovered at 250 for about two hours, covered at 225 for about an hour and then maybe 20 or 30 minutes on my grill to finish with the sauce.

Yeah, yeah. I know... Oven. It's what I got for now. On the bright side they were eaten rather quickly.

I've tried that so many times! I'm probably just an idiot or too impatient! Thanks for the tip, I'll try it again next time.

Keep trying. I've found this to be the best method, as well. I've found that if the paper towel is slightly moistened, it grabs onto that membrane a little better. Pull it slowly so as to keep it in one piece, the best you can and it will come right off.

Keep trying. I've found this to be the best method, as well. I've found that if the paper towel is slightly moistened, it grabs onto that membrane a little better. Pull it slowly so as to keep it in one piece, the best you can and it will come right off.
Thanks.

Anytime. Do yourself a favor though, don't ever follow @goodnterribles advice. On anything. Ever.
I do a decent number of ribs a year and sometimes I can get it right off and otherwise I struggle forever to get the little bastards off.

Duly noted on GnT's advice. Can I just follow him around though recording everything?

I do a decent number of ribs a year and sometimes I can get it right off and otherwise I struggle forever to get the little bastards off.

Duly noted on GnT's advice. Can I just follow him around though recording everything?

Yeah, I do too but I just keep at those things until they're gone. For some reason, they kinda gross me out like gristle does.

Oh, for sure. He's great entertainment, just don't get too close when he's building a fire.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back