• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pet Projects

CrabHusker

S&C Coordinator-Sponsored by DBol
10 Year Member
I've been working on an office buildout in the attic of my detached two car garage for almost three years now. Between traveling and temporary relocations for work, I rarely get to do anything with it, but have picked up steam of late. I'm sure others on the site have similar stories or projects they've tried to carve time out of their busy schedules to complete and discussing them might be a more interesting way to pass the time during the off season than arguing which inexperienced, unproven, untested kid is going to beat out the other inexperienced, unproven, untested kid for playing time and burn his name into the annuls of Husker history.

To start with, I bought the house in 2012, at least in part because of the detached two car with the unfinished attic space. The house has an attached two car and enough concrete driveway to park far more vehicles than I'd ever want to own, so the idea was turn the garage into a shop and the roughly 400 square foot attic into an office. Great idea and something I'd always wanted to do, limited time for execution.

Started framing the office space in late 2012...then got too busy to continue. Finished framing in summer 2013..then shipped off to Savannah for a year. Roughed in the electrical over a weekend in 2015 between the Savannah project and another temporary relocation to Charleston and there it sat until January of this year. My typical work week includes travel to our various project sites, satellite and home offices, but I'm usually home late Friday so I've been able to get back at it. To this point I've hung and finished all the drywall and have only minor point up to do prior to starting paint, installing a ductless mini split for heating and cooling, built in bookshelves and trim and tackling the hardwood floor. I'll start posting pictures to show the process moving forward, but don't think I've got any of the raw, unframed space. Poor planning on my part.

Hopefully some of y'all have similar stories and projects to contribute.

I'm teaching them life skills. I will soon unleash my army of arthropods upon society to take control of the world, so I can sit back and watch the sun rise over what I have created.

A simple man with simple aspirations.

I like it.

My only request is that when the spiders rule, I’d like a lifetime pass for squishing them. If that’s ok.

A simple man with simple aspirations.

I like it.

My only request is that when the spiders rule, I’d like a lifetime pass for squishing them. If that’s ok.
of course

that's pretty much how my wife explained to me how we will share ownership of my collection:

the spiders that are in their cages are mine

and the ones out of their cages are dead

I've had hundreds of projects over the years and most rarely go to fruition however, bout 17 years ago when my son was about 2 I decided he needed a cork gun. I remember all the hours I speent as a child learning marksmenship with my cork gun and the resulting frustrations of not being able to find enough corks to keep me happy.
Well, low and behold, our freak'n PC society decided that my child would not be able to share in my fond memories...... NOT!
I spent a couple days designing and developing a spring powered cork pistol. Never say never

Last edited:
Jeeps, I got some jeeps I been wanting to finish, lack of time, grand kids, and I get tired in the evenings,

I just turned over 240,000 in my Grand Cherokee
My suburban made it to 269,000 miles,
Transfercase went out, went to scrape yard
I'm passing thru Lubbock right now, and my suburban just turned over 279k

Woot!

I also just misjudged a turn, drove wrong way down divided highway for a bit and had to jump curbed median/island to get on right side :Biggrin:

Last edited:

My suburban made it to 269,000 miles,
Transfercase went out, went to scrape yard

339k on my 99 3/4 Ton 4x4GMC suburban with a 454. I did the math on its lifetime fuel spend at around 250k and never did that again. It was running strong when I traded it in on a 1/2 ton Silverado that has more horsepower and rows my boat better while getting 20+ on the highway. I still might as that beast.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back