• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The big question....

HuskerDB

Junior Varsity
10 Year Member
Should Erstad and company be back next year? I'm clearly frustrated and by all appearances the team has given up for this year. However, let's try to be positive. Give me some reasons why we should retain him and why he will lead us back to respectable -- and by that I mean competing for Big Ten titles on a regular basis.

He's gone! Can't recruit, can't coach, LOTS of injuries under his reign...it's an embarrassment

Should Erstad and company be back next year? I'm clearly frustrated and by all appearances the team has given up for this year. However, let's try to be positive. Give me some reasons why we should retain him and why he will lead us back to respectable -- and by that I mean competing for Big Ten titles on a regular basis.
Because it's not about one season, and for the exact same reason we didn’t give him a 20 year extension after winning a conference title and coach of the year last year is why we won’t fire him after this year. It's about consistency and making the NCAA tournament. 3 of the last 4 years we've gone to a regional and we won a conference title last year, also have been 2nd or better in the conference 3 of the last 4 years. Seasons like this happen. The 2017 B1G coach of the year will be back for the 2018-2019 season. Probably needs to shake some things up tho.

Last edited:
Short Side, very reasoned response. We have seen, with the football team, what happens with frequent changes, tough to find that gold nugget in the slag heap. I think Moos will make all of our programs better if we abide with him. Cook is our best coach, I hope Moos uses him to teach the others. IMO Cook,s skills traverse all sports.

So I'm hearing consistency is the reason to keep him. I wish we had something better to hang our hat on. With that reasoning Callahan would still be coaching here too.

As far as winning the big ten last year, I'm more inclined to give credit to Meyers and Schlepp for that than the coaching staff. If it was truely great coaching the team wouldn't have quit this year and be the absolute joke it has become.

As far as consistently being good in conference I could almost buy that but one out of soon to be 14 titles (tourney and reg season) doesn't impress me much, especially with all the post season turds we've laid -- like two and out as big ten champs with the coach of the year. I'm not asking for national championships but I think we have the location, recruits and facilities to win the big ten OFTEN.

The recruiting limitations are issues and I get that, but we just loss to Omaha!!! Last year we got beat by Holy Cross -- and they don't even give scholarships!!! I've heard enough of the issues -- especially when you don't even go after players in your hometown who walk on elsewhere and win.

I wanted Erstad to win more than anybody. However if 7 years in our only reason for keeping him is stability we have major issues.

I think the team is speaking, and their request is 'make a change'.

Because it's not about one season, and for the exact same reason we didn’t give him a 20 year extension after winning a conference title and coach of the year last year is why we won’t fire him after this year. It's about consistency and making the NCAA tournament. 3 of the last 4 years we've gone to a regional and we won a conference title last year, also have been 2nd or better in the conference 3 of the last 4 years. Seasons like this happen. The 2017 B1G coach of the year will be back for the 2018-2019 season. Probably needs to shake some things up tho.
Agree, starting with a new pitching coach

Agreed. I am always amazed that as soon as something goes south, changing coaches will make everything better. Yes, sometimes coaching changes are necessary, but there are other reasons teams struggle. And I am sure that having three pitchers out for the season with Tommy John surgery has at least a little something to do with our mediocre effort this season.

Sure, I have some coaching concerns. I am not pleased with our recruiting. I feel that both Creighton and Omaha have more talent than we do, and that is inexcusable. However, I think winning the conference last year bought Coach Erstad a little equity, and I am fine with another year as head coach. But we definitely need an upgrade in talent, and soon.

Agreed. I am always amazed that as soon as something goes south, changing coaches will make everything better. Yes, sometimes coaching changes are necessary, but there are other reasons teams struggle. And I am sure that having three pitchers out for the season with Tommy John surgery has at least a little something to do with our mediocre effort this season.

Sure, I have some coaching concerns. I am not pleased with our recruiting. I feel that both Creighton and Omaha have more talent than we do, and that is inexcusable. However, I think winning the conference last year bought Coach Erstad a little equity, and I am fine with another year as head coach. But we definitely need an upgrade in talent, and soon.

Again......................find a pitching coach who is not long in the tooth! Silva, you suck!!!! Today proved that, once again. The man is an idiot! Said, he promised he would not use Jake, so as to rest him? Really? Dump him, quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess we'll have to see what Erstad will do with Silva after this season.....I really would like to see our BASEBALL program get back to the way it was when we could win in the NCAA tournaments [Van Horn and Anderson].

http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5464656.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=100

By the Stats, Erstad is 4th in that category.

Today, once again, shows why we need to find a better pitching coach. Sorry, but Silva has not done enough for me! Sure, we have had injuries, but many teams have the same problem; they manage to bring others around, and show progress in young arms. Silva does not show he can do that. Plus, his judgment is either bad or his decisions to make changes take too long.

Today, once again, shows why we need to find a better pitching coach. Sorry, but Silva has not done enough for me! Sure, we have had injuries, but many teams have the same problem; they manage to bring others around, and show progress in young arms. Silva does not show he can do that. Plus, his judgment is either bad or his decisions to make changes take too long.
Silva is not our problem unless you are talking injuries. We have been a top 20% ERA team in the nation 2 of the last 3 years. Silva has also developed multiple pitchers.

You are spouting off injuries there. Re-read my post.

***, I didn't miss that! I blame Silva for those injuries. You must take care of your pitchers, so they don't injure their arm! I don't care what you think, but Silva is the blame! Think about it!!!
Three Tommy Johns? The blame is on him!!! Show me a staff where there are 3 Tommy Johns!! Silva is inept! Case closed! Nothing you can say to change that, so I don't want to hear where it is not Silva's fault; he did not take care of his kids, period! :(

Look, ***, we may have gone to 3 of the last regionals, but we how well did we do??? Zip! :(

Also, tired of going nowhere, after finishing on the top, or near it! You can settle, but most of us cannot! Sorry, not enough! :(

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back