• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kirk Ferentz: Iowa, Nebraska renew Black Friday tradition in 2022

Personally, I’d rather have our Black Friday opponent be Wisconsin. Hopefully, that game will start to mean the West Division title in a year going forward. The game with Iowa....not so much.
+1, But Iowa will do. It's an easy drive for many fans to get to games.

iowa or wiskey, if it is a true rival play it on Turkey Day.

For better or worse, Iowa and Wisconsin ARE our rivals going forward. We can gripe about it or shut up, give them their whoopin and take home the trophy.

And I swear, if one more sour puss Husker fan whines about the Big Ten not being Oklahoma, my head will explode. The past was great - exquisite, even - but it's the past. Time to move on and embrace what the future can be.

For better or worse, Iowa and Wisconsin ARE our rivals going forward. We can gripe about it or shut up, give them their whoopin and take home the trophy.

And I swear, if one more sour puss Husker fan whines about the Big Ten not being Oklahoma, my head will explode. The past was great - exquisite, even - but it's the past. Time to move on and embrace what the future can be.
I was over the Big12 as soon as the Texas schools joined, making it the Big12 and splitting the Huskers/Okie so we didn’t even play them on Black Friday. The North Division was pretty bad most years IMO. The one thing the B12 had over the B1G is the travel to other school campuses. But overall, I’ll gladly take the B1G conference.

Unless the Dirtburglars want to go back to an annual tussle, I’d prefer we never play them again.

I was over the Big12 as soon as the Texas schools joined, making it the Big12 and splitting the Huskers/Okie so we didn’t even play them on Black Friday. The North Division was pretty bad most years IMO. The one thing the B12 had over the B1G is the travel to other school campuses. But overall, I’ll gladly take the B1G conference.
let’s not forget Oklahoma chose to not play us every year. They thought Texas was their major rival not DONU

I like this move. It's nice to have a rivalry where two neighboring states can go at it every year on the last day of the regular season. Much better than rotating teams around or ending up with Minnesota or someone else. I also like the Friday timeframe.

Id much prefer to see us squash them into eternal hopelessness

Yeah, will in order for us to do that, we need to get ourselves off the wrestling mat of eternal hopelessness that they’ve pretty much squashed us into in recent years. My Iowa fan friends have pretty much stopped talking smack to me. They pretty much just feel sorry for me at this point.

I know, I know.......steps have been taken to get out of our own “eternal hopelessness”, but lots not get ahead of ourselves.

Yeah, will in order for us to do that, we need to get ourselves off the wrestling mat of eternal hopelessness that they’ve pretty much squashed us into in recent years. My Iowa fan friends have pretty much stopped talking smack to me. They pretty much just feel sorry for me at this point.

I know, I know.......steps have been taken to get out of our own “eternal hopelessness”, but lots not get ahead of ourselves.
Iowa's success against us has been more a product of what we were doing than what Iowa was doing. Same goes for Wisconsin. Both of those programs are inferior to a Nebraska program firing on all cylinders. When Nebraska gets back to playing like Nebraska, those two schools will be playing for 2nd place in the division perennially.

Current state of NU vs Iowa

hqdefault.jpg

Future State of NU vs Iowa
hogan-slams-andre.jpg

Iowa's success against us has been more a product of what we were doing than what Iowa was doing. Same goes for Wisconsin. Both of those programs are inferior to a Nebraska program firing on all cylinders. When Nebraska gets back to playing like Nebraska, those two schools will be playing for 2nd place in the division perennially.

There’s no question that we’ve done less with more, in terms of production per dollar spent, than just about any P5 football program. I’m with you on the idea that the “less with more” thing is about to change. We’re on the right track, finally, and I too believe that things will change.

Wisconsin and Iowa, in the meantime, have been busily producing more with less. We’ve outspent them, and outrecruited them. We’ve sold more tickets than they have and done more to promote ourselves as a national brand. All the while, they’ve largely owned us on the field. They do what they do, and they’re good at it, both schools, though Wisconsin has been better and more consistent. I have high respect for both programs based on how they maximize their resources.

It’s been so long since we’ve been “a Nebraska program firing on all cylinders” that I’d just prefer personally to avoid smack talk until we actually get there. I’m hopeful that we’ll get to the point where we regularly compete with these schools in our division. If everything works out so that we become the juggernaut that we all hope we’ll become, then maybe I’ll allow myself to think of Iowa and Wisconsin as “inferiors”. As for now, my memory of the recent results on the field and a healthy respect for what Iowa and Wisconsin actually do prevents me from assuming that we’ll become automatically superior just because of who we are and who we were. Don’t think for a minute that Wisconsin isn’t doing everything they can do, every day to get better.

There’s a huge amount of work to do to get there. I think we’ve hired the right guy to get it done. But it’s going to take some time, and nothing will be handed to us.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back