• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Martinez is the starter

What did you see that makes you think Mazour solidified himself? From what I see he had one long run; untouched, so I think Bell or Wilbon would have made a similar play. Other than that one run, he had 3.3 YPC. Bell had 54 yds on 8 carries for 6.75 YPC.
Bell, IMO, was the best back today.

You don't redshirt the true freshman that looks much the best, even if his arm is only 90%. The competition will continue but the others are playing from far behind right now. SF won't say too much until fall because he really doesn't want Gebbia to bail out (ala Sham in the Belmont).

Martinez= Secratariat

Gebbia, Bunch, Vedral, Masker = the field

Only 5 horses ran the preakness that year? Wow, alot harder to get the triple crown these days with up to 12 horses, I believe.

Martinez can scoot, no doubt about it. However, having just finished watching the first half, Gebbia looked really good also. Bunch looked pretty good too. I honestly don't know who the starter will be, but Gebbia looked very solid to me, and that first play, he was pure money(even though it got called back). Yes, it's nice to have a QB problem, where any one of the 3 could start.

Post game guys made a point that Martinez is much more "Frost's guy" than Gebbia. He will get every opportunity to take the job. If it's even it is his.

Post game guys made a point that Martinez is much more "Frost's guy" than Gebbia. He will get every opportunity to take the job. If it's even it is his.
I love Gebbia because he seems to be a leader and a hard worker but there is a quality in Martinez that is hard to describe...he seems to have a play-making ability that can't be taught.

Let the best man win. Both need a lot of polish but I think both will end up being very good. Hopefully it will be while wearing a Husker uniform.

I think Gebbia and Martinez are too close to call at this point. I think either could run this offense effectively. Bunch and Vedral both seem very capable as well. I don't think Vedrals waiver will go through, so he's probably sitting this year.

I don't think it's going to come down to "who is Frost's guy" type decision. They are all Frosts guys now. I believe it will come down to who grades out the best after Summer conditioning, 7v7 drills, and Fall camp. I don't believe Gebbia will transfer if he doesn't get the job. He was asked that very question about a week ago in an interview, he answered like it was a silly question, responding it isn't even a consideration for him, and that Nebraska is his home now.

This is an amazing situation for us to have. I haven't been this confident in our QB situation since Frazier, Berringer, and Turman were the guys. I believe at the minimum we will have a solid starter, and at least one backup who could take over at the drop of a hat if needed. GBR!

Only 5 horses ran the preakness that year? Wow, alot harder to get the triple crown these days with up to 12 horses, I believe.
When you have a horse that so destroys the competition, you don't get a lot of guys willing to take you on. Secretariat ran the fastest time ever run for all three of the triple crown races, without any other horse being good enough to push him to his best. Today's triple crown races are filled with pretenders for every open gate spot...lots of horses that aren't expected to be competitive, just there so that their owners/trainers can be mentioned in the media and the historic record books...virtual frauds. A different time alright, but the race clock doesn't lie.

Go to about the 2:30 mark, if you are not willing to give up a couple minutes of your time:
Secretariat would've beaten American Pharoah by about 18 length's.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back