• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Miles gets a year extension?

Because no one thinks it’s a wise one. Miles can earn a long term with a strong season. Flounder, and he needs to go. The funny thing is, it still doesn’t give him a contract through a new recruit’s career. It’s lipstick on a pig, but if it makes some warm and fuzzy, enjoy.

Will do! I cuddled up with my cat and a glass of Merlot last night to celebrate. :Biggrin:

Probably the least consistent NU basketball coach in my lifetime.

Yeah, Miles is a strange case study. On one hand, he’s had 2 pretty good years by Nebraska’s standard. His lows have been really low though. I’d have to look into it more but it’s felt like Miles has played a more challenging schedule than Collier or Doc did, those guys played nobody in the non-con.

I think Miles is the closest NU hoops coach to putting it all together since Nee. The talent has been an issue at times, but he undeniably has better talent that Doc or Collier. He has had 2 better seasons than all of them. Just average coaching at times and seasons when the bottom falls out is why he’s a .500 coach.

Yeah, Miles is a strange case study. On one hand, he’s had 2 pretty good years by Nebraska’s standard. His lows have been really low though. I’d have to look into it more but it’s felt like Miles has played a more challenging schedule than Collier or Doc did, those guys played nobody in the non-con.

I think Miles is the closest NU hoops coach to putting it all together since Nee. The talent has been an issue at times, but he undeniably has better talent that Doc or Collier. He has had 2 better seasons than all of them. Just average coaching at times and seasons when the bottom falls out is why he’s a .500 coach.

I can't argue the idea that Miles is the best since Nee. Granted, Collier and Sadler sucked. And Nee really wasn't any better than an average coach -- with a ton of talent.

I can't argue the idea that Miles is the best since Nee. Granted, Collier and Sadler sucked. And Nee really wasn't any better than an average coach -- with a ton of talent.
Average coach with a ton of talent...I think this could have been a Miles assessment as well.

I have a hard time looking at his second season as quite the success some do. Yes, we played great in conference, or should I say Petteway was out of his mind, propelling us on a 10-2 run starting with Minnesota, and we made the dance. But that season was so much about one guy Miles stumbles into, who is a notoriously steaky shooter, and the guy shockingly doesn’t have a cold streak for almost half a year. The notion Miles ‘coached him’ to that point is kind of negated the following season when Miles can’t control him, even when he reverts back to Captain Streaky.

I totally agree with you he’s the best coach since Née. He can recruit, he’s a fun guy, he’s good with fans and the media. He has so many of the qualities he needs to be really successful. What he personally lacks, he could easily add with the right coaches on the bench. Unfortunately, he either fails to recognize what he’s lacking, or fails to hire the coach that can fill that need, or he fails to keep them. It drives me crazy because we are really close, extremely close to having really strong teams. But instead of grabbing the reigns, he reverts back to smiley, slap-happy Tim and we breakdown. He just doesn’t give me the vibe of being a leader.

Last edited:
Average coach with a ton of talent...I think this could have been a Miles assessment as well.

Except for the ton of talent part. Sorry, Miles has not recruited the level of talent Nee had to work with. (and by sorry, i mean i and most NU fans are sorry)

Except for the ton of talent part. Sorry, Miles has not recruited the level of talent Nee had to work with. (and by sorry, i mean i and most NU fans are sorry)

Miles has actually done pretty well. Probably not to the level that Nee did, but he's pulled in some guys who could be very good if they just had a little better coaching. Part of his failure is his inability to keep and develop players. We haven't had guys turn into a Brandon Ubel under Miles. One of the things I thought made him successful at CSU was he got the most out of the talent he pulled in, and quite often, that wasn't exactly top notch.

Good Assessment. I am still left with this gut feeling that Miles will be fired at the end of the season. So how do we measure the value of this decision to extend 1 year? Husker fans deserve better than Miles and better than Nee. Did the extension improve recruiting? Did it improve Miles' ability to scheme and motivate his players? Did it have any affect on players leaving or staying? Did it have any affect on getting a better coach after Miles?

I believe it mostly did nothing about anything. We are still waiting and wondering if Moos has a guy ready to go for 2019-20. He's gonna need to pay a lot more and get a guy who has a great network of assistants and players lined up.

2018-19 will be what it is regardless of Miles' situation. Those players may all leave, but I think they will stay and they may mature, gel, and break through, and win a game at the dance. It wont matter one bit. Miles is gone and we need a home run hitter to replace him.

Moos should have acted quickly and boldly, extending Miles to the max with a decent raise, based on having the best regular season in husker history. Not saying it was the best, but Moos should have been acting as if it was the best, to promote the program.

Last edited:
Good Assessment. I am still left with this gut feeling that Miles will be fired at the end of the season. So how do we measure the value of this decision to extend 1 year? Husker fans deserve better than Miles and better than Nee. Did the extension improve recruiting? Did it improve Miles' ability to scheme and motivate his players? Did it have any affect on players leaving or staying? Did it have any affect on getting a better coach after Miles?

I believe it mostly did nothing about anything. We are still waiting and wondering if Moos has a guy ready to go for 2019-20. He's gonna need to pay a lot more and get a guy who has a great network of assistants and players lined up.

2018-19 will be what it is regardless of Miles' situation. Those players may all leave, but I think they will stay and they may mature, gel, and break through, and win a game at the dance. It wont matter one bit. Miles is gone and we need a home run hitter to replace him.

Moos should have acted quickly and boldly, extending Miles to the max with a decent raise, based on having the best regular season in husker history. Not saying it was the best, but Moos should have been acting as if it was the best, to promote the program.
Next to last paragraph....he won't be fired if they win a game in the dance.

Last paragraph....that would have been idiotic.

Do we deserve better? Heck, this basketball forum (and bilsker and I have been participating here for a looong time) is mostly quiet. Sure, NU wins a big game, and a bunch of people will show up that wouldn't otherwise. But there's never really been more than 8-10 posters here that strongly care about the basketball program. Anyhow, I don't think Nebraska fans deserve anything. For any sport. But I do think if we had a very successful basketball coach, the fan base would respond to an extreme.

As bilsker said, IF (big if) we win a game in the NCAA Tournament, there is no way Miles will be (unless it's by his choice). In fact, he'd have his contract extended 3-4 years at that point. That would be the single biggest win in the history of the hoops program.

It definitely was not the best regular season in Husker history. Relatively very good, though.

So the first paragraph says Miles isn't anything special and we deserve a better coach. Then you say the extension did nothing, so in essence we just burned 2 million, plus, again by your assessment, we will need to spend on a new, much more expensive coach. Then we have a prediction of the Huskers dancing...and then firing Miles, again suggesting the need for a homerun hitter. Finally you top it off with admonishment for Moos for not giving Miles as much as possible, which would be best for the program, but likely accomplish little or nothing.

I'm just confused at this point, but if you want to explain, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Because no one thinks it’s a wise one. Miles can earn a long term with a strong season. Flounder, and he needs to go. The funny thing is, it still doesn’t give him a contract through a new recruit’s career. It’s lipstick on a pig, but if it makes some warm and fuzzy, enjoy.
Lars, you are impossible to disagree with. That is both a criticism and a compliment as your word count these past few days has been extraordinary.

Clearly I feel differently about this issue and think this “extension” (extension is in quotes because its not really an extension, but really just gives miles enough room to hire an assistant) could have gotten done a while ago. I think you can admit, had it gotten done a while ago, it would have saved us all the time we have spent bickering.

You know what this team needs? A trip. Aren’t we due for an offseason basketball trip to italy or spain or something.... let’s go somewhere where we can bring a 6’8”, 260 lb point forward with post game and unlimited range back. Defense and rebounds would be nice too

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back