• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sounds like no one is stepping up at RB

If you could tell us which HC you would rather have at Nebraska...

tenor.gif
Paramus, baby, lighten up a little... my paraphrase of John Riggins talking to Sandra Day O'Conner at a dinner party...

I was trying to compliment you in that your lines at the end of your post immediately evoked John Lennon's "All You Need is Love"; a fairly decent paraphrase.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung
Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game

It's easy
Nothing you can make that can't be made
No one you can save that can't be saved
Nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time

It's easy
All you need is love, all you need is love
All you need is love, love, love is all you need
All you need is love
All you need is love, love, love is all you need
There's nothing you can know that isn't known
Nothing you can see that isn't shown
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
It's easy

No one but Frost for me...

Last edited:

Paramus, baby, lighten up a little... my paraphrase of John Riggins talking to Sandra Day O'Conner at a dinner party...

I was trying to compliment you in that your lines at the end of your post immediately evoked John Lennon's "All You Need is Love"; a fairly decent paraphrase.

No one but Frost for me...

"OK. I get it now. But next time you need to make yourself clearer. I almost added you to my watch list."

568402_015.jpg

Nearest I can tell the coaches seem to feel like the RB position, sans Bell and Bradley need improvement. That the DBs need improvement. And lastly that the QB situation is not ideal.

I wonder how much the summer will pay off if at all. Only 4 pics in practice so far seems like a lower than expected number for the Dbs.

Nearest I can tell the coaches seem to feel like the RB position, sans Bell and Bradley need improvement. That the DBs need improvement. And lastly that the QB situation is not ideal.

I wonder how much the summer will pay off if at all. Only 4 pics in practice so far seems like a lower than expected number for the Dbs.

Dbs are in press coverage now, a completely different tecnique. They are getting pbu's but it's going to take awhile for them to get the pics. Also, one of the highest priorities of our qb's is ball security (unlike last year).

Last edited:
I don't care about averaging 42 points per game...I care about winning championships. A great or very good RB, is important to winning championships and, even an important help to your key goal, and to me a secondary goal, scoring over 42 points per game. FYI, Alabama rarely averages over 40 in a season and generally isn't in the top 10 scoring teams, but they do usually have great RB's...points isn't the be all.
A great or very good O-line can make a pedestrian RB look good. It all starts up front.

A great or very good O-line can make a pedestrian RB look good. It all starts up front.
I know that this gets said over and over on this website and is considered a universal truth among all football fans. But, it is only marginally true and sometimes the OPPOSITE is true, a great RB will make a crappy line look decent. Yes, an RB needs guys to block for him and the better the blockers are, the better YPC the RB will have.

That said, I can't think of a single instance for Nebraska where the OL made a "pedestrian" RB look good...they may have marginally improved the YPC, but the mediocre backs we've had have looked pretty mediocre, while the great backs have looked great...and while his YPC wasn't as good as some RB's in the old option days, Ameer looked great in spite of the OL's he had. The only years I can think of where the OL might have made an RB look better than he was, was when Alexander and Buckhalter were here and some would argue that point. Moreover, we haven't had a championship type year without a, or more than one, great RB on our team. It is true that we used to have great OL's, but even then I don't believe they ever made a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Last edited:

I know that this gets said over and over on this website and is considered a universal truth among all football fans. But, it is only marginally true and sometimes the OPPOSITE is true, a great RB will make a crappy line look decent. Yes, an RB needs guys to block for him and the better the blockers are, the better YPC the RB will have.

That said, I can't think of a single instance for Nebraska where the OL made a "pedestrian" RB look good...they may have marginally improved the YPC, but the mediocre backs we've had have looked pretty mediocre, while the great backs have looked great...and while his YPC wasn't as good as some RB's in the old option days, Ameer looked great in spite of the OL's he had. The only years I can think of where the OL might have made an RB look better than he was, was when Alexander and Buckhalter were here and some would argue that point. Moreover, we haven't had a championship type year without a, or more than one, great RB on our team. It is true that we used to have great OL's, but even then I don't believe they ever made a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
I was thinking primarily of guys like Jarvis Redwine, I.M. Hipp and a host of others who had great careers at NU but didn't amount to much in the NFL. I went back and looked at the top 20 1,000+ yard rushers and half of them are from the post Osborne era where most would argue the O-line was in decline. While clearly not a comprehensive analysis, it does lend some credence to your point. If I had to choose, I think I'd still take a good line and an avg. RB over an average line and a good RB.
Buckhalter, btw, is 16th on the list of 1000+ yard rushers and had a lengthy, albiet injury-print, career in the NFL.

I was thinking primarily of guys like Jarvis Redwine, I.M. Hipp and a host of others who had great careers at NU but didn't amount to much in the NFL. I went back and looked at the top 20 1,000+ yard rushers and half of them are from the post Osborne era where most would argue the O-line was in decline. While clearly not a comprehensive analysis, it does lend some credence to your point. If I had to choose, I think I'd still take a good line and an avg. RB over an average line and a good RB.
Buckhalter, btw, is 16th on the list of 1000+ yard rushers and had a lengthy, albiet injury-print, career in the NFL.
I would whole-heartedly disagree with you that the OL's are what made Jarvis Redwine and IM Hipp very good backs...speed made them so. The were faster than others (their predecessors) and it was the same with Rick Berns, and later Keith Jones. I already made the point that some would argue about Buckhalter, but frankly I couldn't care less about NFL longevity/success when comparing Husker RB's, or players in general. Buckhalter's NFL credentials far exceed his ability/talent...he was likely in the right place, at the right time, for the right price, with just enough talent to keep him there. Buck was better than Alexander although he wasn't nearly as fast, but both were a step down from what we'd gotten used to.

BTW, though I don't take NFL credentials into account... you might be interested to note that Redwine went in the NFL 2nd round, Hipp and Buckhalter in the 4th. So your "after-their-NFL-career" judgement, doesn't stand up to how they were thought of at the time they playered for us, even with NFL guys.

Last edited:

Just because someone does not have a steller NFL career does not mean they were not a good college back.

Our OL made a lot of RBs look better than they were. Conversely, guys like Abdullah made our OL better than they were.
So did Rex. I've never seen two guys that so consistently maximized their yardage on every play. They both fought for every last inch every time they touched the ball.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back