• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Malaysian salt block

chicago husker

Da Bears
5 Year Member
I received one of these for my birthday awhile back and just getting around to using it. very impressed so far. has anyone else tried to use one?
himalayan-salt-plate-c.jpg

Last edited:

Interesting, thanks. Have you done a steak on it yet? I want to try one over coals vs. gas.

i haven't tried that yet but looking forward to it. The most important thing to do is season the block by placing it in the oven at warm for 30 minutes and increasing the temp. every 30 minutes be 50 degrees until you get to 500 and after 30 minutes at 500 just turn the oven off and let it cool. they say that keeps it from exploding when grilling on it. Also my gas grill scares me a bit as it gets to over 750 degrees which might be too much.

Last edited:

i haven't tried that yet but looking forward to it. The most important thing to do is season the block by placing it in the oven at warm for 30 minutes and increasing the temp. every 30 minutes be 50 degrees until you get to 500 and after 30 minutes at 500 just turn the oven off and let it cool. they say that keeps it from exploding when grilling on it. Also my gas grill scares me a bit as it gets to over 750 degrees which might be too much.
Please let us know how it turns out. I watch a lot of cooking shows and have seen them used on there but have never bought one. I may have to, now.

I wonder if it would feel like getting shot with rock salt out of a 12 Gauge if that thing explodes? ;) I wouldn't want to be around to find out.

Please let us know how it turns out. I watch a lot of cooking shows and have seen them used on there but have never bought one. I may have to, now.

I wonder if it would feel like getting shot with rock salt out of a 12 Gauge if that thing explodes? ;) I wouldn't want to be around to find out.

From what i understand correctly it is more like cracking into several pieces and not really much of an explosion but i would rather not find out.

Added to my list.

Anything to enhance my limited grilling time is a must and this looks very interesting.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back