• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USA Hockey team

Looked like the ladies need to give the men some pointers on penalty shots. Great win for the women!

Some thoughts after watching the replay tonight:

- 6 of the players plus the head coach are from Minnesota. Girls hockey in MN is a pretty big deal. The state championship tournament is going on right now in St. Paul.

- USA has won 7 of the last 8 world championships, so it isn't like this was unexpected. The announcers kept mentioning how it was the first gold for the U.S. in 20 years, which is true, but that has only encompassed 4 other Olympics.

- One of the Canadian players took off her silver medal as soon as it was put around her neck. See my point above. She should be used to losing to the U.S. by now.

- 6 of the players plus the head coach are from Minnesota. Girls hockey in MN is a pretty big deal. The state championship tournament is going on right now in St. Paul.

- USA has won 7 of the last 8 world championships, so it isn't like this was unexpected. The announcers kept mentioning how it was the first gold for the U.S. in 20 years, which is true, but that has only encompassed 4 other Olympics.

- One of the Canadian players took off her silver medal as soon as it was put around her neck. See my point above. She should be used to losing to the U.S. by now.
The Olympics takes the place of the world championships so in essence, Canada typically wins the world championships in Olympic years. The US and Canada own womens hockey in the modern age. The rest of the world plays for 3rd.

For some reason Canada rises up for the Olympics and usually wins...the US beat them this year. I think while it wasn't unexpected, its a huge win for the USWNT.

The Olympics takes the place of the world championships so in essence, Canada typically wins the world championships in Olympic years. The US and Canada own womens hockey in the modern age. The rest of the world plays for 3rd.

For some reason Canada rises up for the Olympics and usually wins...the US beat them this year. I think while it wasn't unexpected, its a huge win for the USWNT.
Oh, yeah, definitely a huge win. But some people who don't follow hockey may have been misled into thinking this was some kind of a huuuuuge upset.

Oh, yeah, definitely a huge win. But some people who don't follow hockey may have been misled into thinking this was some kind of a huuuuuge upset.
Definitely not a huge upset. Those teams are pretty even and far ahead of the rest of the world.

Great won for the USWNT

Man this thread blew up

It did take on a life of it's own...similar to other threads. I just didnt think to post during the game. Thanks for catching me up Husker Hot Sauce. Im most impressed how late folks here stayed up to complete the game. Should have known Husker fans dont quit and see things through. Now on to curling as the USA ended gold for another Canadian squad. No offense eh... GBR

shootouts are such a brutal way to decide a game of that magnitude, but i guess going to 4 overtimes like they sometimes do in stanley cup playoffs wouldn't make much sense to some hockey fans either.
some great moves in that shootout and that final goal was a thing of beauty.
tough loss for the canadian team. full marks to the american women. well played game.

I do feel for you. My dad, rest his soul, was born in Vancouver, BC, so I have an affinity toward Canada. But, my heart, of course, is with good old USA!! Hell of a game!! Both sides played their hearts out, for sure!

It did take on a life of it's own...similar to other threads. I just didnt think to post during the game. Thanks for catching me up Husker Hot Sauce. Im most impressed how late folks here stayed up to complete the game. Should have known Husker fans dont quit and see things through. Now on to curling as the USA ended gold for another Canadian squad. No offense eh... GBR

this may be less acceptable to some canadians than losing the hockey game. playing for gold in curling is almost expected up here and both the men's and women's teams played pretty terrible all week long. the women didn't even make the playoffs. it's hard not to like that american skip though. he seems like a pretty down to earth dude.

Taking that medal off is not only immature, but it is disrespectful to the game. Unless she thought they were robbed, she should have worn it until out of sight.

this may be less acceptable to some canadians than losing the hockey game. playing for gold in curling is almost expected up here and both the men's and women's teams played pretty terrible all week long. the women didn't even make the playoffs. it's hard not to like that american skip though. he seems like a pretty down to earth dude.

I agree, down to earth and already has a Munson, negative connotation with his name to over come. "Skuddered or Skudering". He is relishing his opportunity to get over the hump of the past 2 Olympics. Great rivalry with Canada. At least that one is in sports vice the political rivalry with our neighbors to the south.

Taking that medal off is not only immature, but it is disrespectful to the game. Unless she thought they were robbed, she should have worn it until out of sight.
Not at alL
I sy that because i have been to many hockey tournaments in my day. If a team didnt win they would lay the 2nd place ribbon, trophy on the ice. We did not play for 2nd place. Its the hockey mindset.

Last edited:

Gold always come to those from Mn. You dont live in that state and not play hockey

shootouts are such a brutal way to decide a game of that magnitude, but i guess going to 4 overtimes like they sometimes do in stanley cup playoffs wouldn't make much sense to some hockey fans either.
some great moves in that shootout and that final goal was a thing of beauty.
tough loss for the canadian team. full marks to the american women. well played game.
This

Now, the USA winning gold in Curling, that IS a HUGE upset as canadianhusker pointed out. I really am thrilled for the skip and the team. Figured I would put this here vice start a new thread. I dont have much success when I do that. GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back