• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Off The Wall Hobbies

CrabHusker

S&C Coordinator-Sponsored by DBol
10 Year Member
Thought we could all post pictures and stories of atypical hobbies we might have. Something a little different or unique to the individuals. I'm sure some have the potential to be quite interesting.

At the request of another Huskermax member, I'm posting a picture of a Japanese Maple bonsai in my collection. I don't have my external drive where the bulk of my personal pictures are stored, so this is just an average quality picture of a specimen that is between 'training' styles. I've been growing, collecting and training various species for over 20 years and this particular bonsai is one of my last remaining from the original group. When I bought this tree, it was a dead looking, limbless stick, thinner than a pencil and about six inches long. That was in the late 90's and the 'tree' was about a year old. At one point I had over 50 specimens of various species and lost a good many of them to a failure of an automated irrigation system I used while traveling. I'm down to a handful now and don't spend nearly as much time on them as I used to, primarily due to work and travel commitments, but it's still something I do that's relaxing and really helps me work on my patience. NOTHING, other than dying, happens quickly when it comes to bonsai.

I'll post more when I get home next week and have access to the external drive.

Japanese Maple.JPG

I'm a backyard breeder / spider wholesaler

Latrodectus mactans - Black Widow
Latrodectus hesperus - Western Black Widow
Latrodectus geometricus - Brown Widow
Latrodectus bishopi - Red Widow
Latrodectus hasseltii - Australian Redback Spider
Phidippus regius - Regal Jumping Spider

spidercups_zpsc5f28fad.jpg

spiderbox_zps9dce2bf1.jpg

And I have a variety of other arachnids, myriapods, and reptiles i don't breed but just keep imprisoned (too many to list), plus a few warm-blooded critters: hedgehogs, sugar gliders, and just recently added a flying blue unicorn.

nibblersmall_zpsiexjqvn5.jpg
giphy.gif

Last edited:

And I have a variety of other arachnids, myriapods, and reptiles I keep imprisoned (too many to list), plus a few warm-blooded critters: hedgehogs, sugar gliders, and just recently added a flying blue unicorn.

giphy.gif
Can any of them be dried, crushed up and smoked?

And I have a variety of other arachnids, myriapods, and reptiles i don't breed but just keep imprisoned (too many to list), plus a few warm-blooded critters: hedgehogs, sugar gliders, and just recently added a flying blue unicorn.

giphy.gif

Do you wear your horsehead when you do it?

In my spare time, I suck farts out of used furniture.

And I have a variety of other arachnids, myriapods, and reptiles i don't breed but just keep imprisoned (too many to list)
I honestly don't know whether to believe this or not. It's RDR so it could be true.....:confused:

This has the potential to be a good thread. I hope others participate (beyond the expected jokes).

I don't really have any hobbies outside of the usual things....exercising, outdoor activities, reading, listening to music, etc. When I was a kid I was into rock and mineral collecting and lapidary. If I had the time I think I would still enjoy that. Maybe when I retire..........

giphy.gif

Regardless of the legitimacy of this post, this is what my nightmares are made of. Kudos to you for making me sleep with the light on tonight. :Biggrin::Biggrin:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back