• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mushroom and Pork Spaghetti

HUSKER HOT SAUCE

Be Yourself - Everyone Else Is Already Taken
10 Year Member
So, I experimented with both cubed pieces of pork, and sliced pieces of Portobello mushrooms. I added crushed red pepper, fresh garlic, black pepper, white pepper, tiny amount of Thyme, very small amount of pink salt, approximately 1 and a half shots of Tito's Vodka. More cracked pepper while in the bowl, and some Parmesan cheese. Bellissimo dish.

So, I experimented with both cubed pieces of pork, and sliced pieces of Portobello mushrooms. I added crushed red pepper, fresh garlic, black pepper, white pepper, tiny amount of Thyme, very small amount of pink salt, approximately 1 and a half shots of Tito's Vodka. More cracked pepper while in the bowl, and some Parmesan cheese. Bellissimo dish.

I assume you sauteed the pork and mushrooms in either some butter or EVOO. And why no tomato or marinara sauce

I assume you sauteed the pork and mushrooms in either some butter or EVOO. And why no tomato or marinara sauce

Sometimes you just dont need tomato sauce. My favorite has tomatoes in it, but not as a sauce.

Last edited:

Yes, EVOO. And thanks for asking the question. I typed in red crushed peppers, and I had it in my head that I also typed in I sauteed some two Kumato tomatoes, and one Heirloom tomato. Kumato's are freaking awesome tomatoes. They have them around here at least half of the year, and usually from November to like March or April I believe.

54f9306071fea_-_kumato.jpg

Yes, EVOO. And thanks for asking the question. I typed in red crushed peppers, and I had it in my head that I also typed in I sauteed some two Kumato tomatoes, and one Heirloom tomato. Kumato's are freaking awesome tomatoes. They have them around here at least half of the year, and usually from November to like March or April I believe.

54f9306071fea_-_kumato.jpg

Now it makes sense as it seemed a bit dry without some Kumato or sauce. How did the pork work with it?

Now it makes sense as it seemed a bit dry without some Kumato or sauce. How did the pork work with it?
It worked out surprisingly well actually. I've used chicken and turkey, usually ground, but I had this pork for a stew, and didn't have the ingredients for the stew, and I needed to cook the pork. I'll definitely make this dish again.

I have thought about starting a thread on my take. An interesting historical fact on Alfredo Sauce. It consisted only of butter, Parmesan cheese and - secret hidden ingredient - pasta water. Here is best report on this:

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/fettuccine-with-butter-and-cheese

Fettuccine Alfredo consists of four ingredients: Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, butter, fettuccine, and a pinch of salt. No cream. No eggs. Not even any black pepper. The cheese and butter should create a creamy sauce that thoroughly coats each strand of pasta. But this dish has been mucked up over the years with cream, thickeners, and worse. For our back-to-basics version, we limited our ingredient list to five ingredients (we added reserved pasta cooking water—a test kitchen favorite for creating a silky pasta sauce). After many tests, we found that the simplest method yielded the best results: Combine the pasta and sauce ingredients in the pot, stir, let rest, and then stir again before serving in warmed bowls.

I have yet to do a recipe this way. But through Plated I did a pasta dish that had the above cited elements and it worked very well. I think it is key to a good light "white" pasta sauce. Sounds like you may have hit elements of it inadvertently.

Last edited:

I have thought about starting a thread on my take. An interesting historical fact on Alfredo Sauce. It consisted only of butter, Parmesan cheese and - secret hidden ingredient - pasta water. Here is best report on this:

I have yet to do a recipe this way. But through Plated I did a pasta dish that had the above cited elements and it worked very well. I think it is key to a good light "white" pasta sauce. Sounds like you may have hit elements of it inadvertently.

Sounds promising. I will give it a go as well as i love a good fettuccine.

My favorite 'What do I do with this stuff?' pasta dish is pheasant meat sauce. Usually breast the bird and freeze the rest but had always struggled to make something everyone liked with the drums, thighs, back, etc. Tried using it in spaghetti sauce once and everyone was hooked. Still get asked to make it regularly, even though it's been 6 or 7 years since I've been back to pheasant hunt.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back