• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Saw this on another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as skunkman pointed out........all of these scenarios led to us getting SF. The only other thing that could have gotten us down this path would have been Bo winning a B1G championship or two that bought him a few more years. But at some point his explosive attitude would have ended up in a firing. Who knows if SF would have wanted to follow up in that scenario.
Frost made it very clear he would never have worked for Pederhorst.

If you can imagine some scenario where Bo started winning more and Eichorst decided to retire the same time as Bo . . . nah, it's too hard to come up with any scenario. We are here where we need to be again finally. It very well may not have happened at all if anything in the past had gone down differently.

I don't think this really says much. Out of a team with 130(?) guys, it's not hard to fathom that one would have been frustrated, no matter who the coach is.
Oh, I get that, and I was a Bo supporter, but so much was said about how the players loved Bo and had his back, it appeared that maybe not so much.

It's not as black and white as it may seem. Part of Pelini's responsibility to those players is to look out for their best interests. If the organization is tainted and crumbling, was he doing the players a favor by warning them? Sure, he didn't do Nebraska any favors, but I think his loyalty was to his players (right or wrong).

If the company/program I work on was a cesspool, I'd probably want to at least give my employees a heads-up about the reason for my departure.

As usual you equivicate and balance your remark better than a gymnist on the balance beam then bang, you shoot the administartion. Pelini was hired to represent the best interests of the university, the players are not paying his salary. You say IF, how can you say that organization was tainted and crumbling seeing as how Tom was his boss during the majority of his years there. Yes it needed some fixing but to use the language you are using is beyond the pale. Pelini had no problem using his vulgar side to complain instead of trying to fix the issues that needed fixing in a decent professional manner.

As usual you equivicate and balance your remark better than a gymnist on the balance beam then bang, you shoot the administartion. Pelini was hired to represent the best interests of the university, the players are not paying his salary. You say IF, how can you say that organization was tainted and crumbling seeing as how Tom was his boss during the majority of his years there. Yes it needed some fixing but to use the language you are using is beyond the pale. Pelini had no problem using his vulgar side to complain instead of trying to fix the issues that needed fixing in a decent professional manner.

And those sweatshirts!

Frost made it very clear he would never have worked for Pederhorst.

If you can imagine some scenario where Bo started winning more and Eichorst decided to retire the same time as Bo . . . nah, it's too hard to come up with any scenario. We are here where we need to be again finally. It very well may not have happened at all if anything in the past had gone down differently.
That's generally how I prefer to look at life. If I'm happy in a particular situation I don't usually worry too much about the past...if you had dated that one broad ONE more week you may not have met your wife. If you dated her one LESS week you may have met someone else who wasted even more of your time. Anytime before THIS time was probably too soon for Frost. Say SE was fired instead of Bo in 2014 I contend we'd still be where we were and looking at Frost in a Gator or Bruin shirt. What if Riley hadn't sucked quite so bad or if SE had hired a slightly better coach?

SF is really NU's one chance to nab the "it" guy. Everything worked out just fine. Now we get to find out if the "it" guy really has IT.

So does this mean we can't look back at BC, FS, TO or BD since they're in the past as well? :)

I think the BP situation and FS have been beaten to death. My best friend is a huge Bo supporter and revels in the fact he was right about MR. He would text me every time after MR lost or while we were losing. 20/20 hind site is the best. If Bo was so good, so intelligent, how is it that no one else has hired him? His speech to the players after the fact was proof he was the wrong guy. Winning 9 games now is like winning 8 games was when Osborne and Devaney coached. MR was also the wrong guy and SE was the wrong AD, they are both fired now and we have arguably the best possible coach we could have in SF. we'll see, but I am pretty confident we have finally got it right.

In regards to Bo not being on edge if we had better leadership, I think he had plenty of Unsportsman like penalties when TO was AD. I think Bo would have imploded regardless. We'll never know, but we do know that he was fired and mostly because of his deportment. SE wasn't the only one who couldn't stand his act.

I don't think there is much doubt that the organization was a mess due to poor administrative leadership. Perlman and Eichorst did a very, very poor job of running the athletics department, in particular the football program.

Saying that Pelini was hired to represent the best interests of the university is overly simplistic. Yes, that is part of it. But the head coach (whomever it may be) is also expected to be responsible for the players and their development (academic or otherwise). Families entrust their sons to attend Nebraska with the expectation that the coaches will look out for them.

While the kids aren't directly paying the head coach's contract, there is still a responsibility to them. The most rewarding thing in athletics - beyond all the money - are the relationships developed within the team.

So there is some conflict there. Should coach blindly follow orders from the administration? Should he be blindly committed only to his players and staff? This is why it's not simply black and white. There needs to be a balance, and Pelini went to one extreme. Interestingly enough, Mike Riley went to the other extreme. He bent over for the (awful) administration, and that ended up being just as, if not more, disastrous for the program.

There are a lot of things that need to work well for a program to be successful. Fortunately, it appears that we now have the right people in place from the top down.

Ahhh, but if better leadership had been in place, Bo may not have been on edge. Hard working with/for people you do not respect.

Pelini maximized what he could do at NU. I commend him for that. Let's remember that SE offered him the same support he gave MR for recruiting and staffing and Pelini rejected it. Hell, Bo might still be coaching here had he completely distanced himself from recruiting and let Beck handle it. Yes, his departure is multi-factorial, but there's no denying Pelini's ability to shut teams down if he had the athletes to do it. He couldn't get them here, but he could coach them.

For all the blame AD Eichorst gets in an effort to excuse Pelini's poor behavior, it's interesting to note that for most of Pelini's time at NU, the AD wasn't SE, it was Tom Osborne. Pelini's classless behavior didn't begin with ADSE. It didn't end with ADSE or Nebraska. It's part of who Bo is as a man.

If Bo was so good, so intelligent, how is it that no one else has hired him?

I can't believe so many keep making this lazy argument in a vacuum and completely ignore the man's core priorities. #1 is his his family. Nobody has hired him, because he isn't LOOKING. He took the job at YSU when it was available primarily so that his kids could finish high school in Youngstown. He certainly doesn't need to chase the money until NU's obligation ends.

He made the FCS championship game in 2016 ffs, people will be calling, whether it's FBS or NFL. Wait a couple more years....he might be the DC at tOSU.

For all the blame AD Eichorst gets in an effort to excuse Pelini's poor behavior, it's interesting to note that for most of Pelini's time at NU, the AD wasn't SE, it was Tom Osborne. Pelini's classless behavior didn't begin with ADSE. It didn't end with ADSE or Nebraska. It's part of who Bo is as a man.

Eichorst was certainly a factor. Not the only factor, but definitely was one.

Basically, he only got 2.5 years of support from the administration above T.O., if that. All this rancor began when TO was undermined by Perlman in 2010, after the A&M game. Perlman permanently poisoned the relationship by publically scolding Pelini, then waited until he could push T.O. out and hire a lackey hitman of his own choosing.

Edit:correct dates

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back