• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Philipp

1. Mark Phillip should never work again. Turrble coach.

2. Boyd Epley is infallible.

3. I hope the coaches are getting accurate bicep measurements on visits.

D. Are you guys really comparing arm sizes of current players against a guy with his own trophy? Oh sweet baby Jesus.
Sure he has his own trophy but he played 35 years ago. Uber advances in S&C and nutrition. And consider this, in today’s BIG, DR would be undersized when compared to Wisky’s OL.

knights-offensive-lineman-wyatt-miller-wait-at-the-line-of-scrimmage-picture-id619111950
Sure he has his own trophy but he played 35 years ago. Uber advances in S&C and nutrition. And consider this, in today’s BIG, DR would be undersized when compared to Wisky’s OL.
OK, you got me. This guys arms need to be much bigger or they won't win many games. It's all about the arms.

Last edited:

1. Mark Phillip should never work again. Turrble coach.

2. Boyd Epley is infallible.

3. I hope the coaches are getting accurate bicep measurements on visits.

D. Are you guys really comparing arm sizes of current players against a guy with his own trophy? Oh sweet baby Jesus.

There are some things that can be explained and then there is this thread...unfreakingunbelievable, but yet not, just because, you know.
:Facepalm:

Is this an age thing with you and Epley? Or, are you ticked that he basically created CFB S&C and then capitalized on his creation? I'm just curious, because you keep slamming him without evidence. I thought it was telling that 2 years ago BE reported high level information about the players performance index scores and basically gave MP a pass on good results. I figured that MP's results were bad since no follow-up was made on the next year's performance index scoring. Somehow you have contorted reality and decide to blame BE for this, and the poor condition of our players, even though BE is simply in an oversight role (of ALL Sports, not just football). Philipps is to blame as he had direct responsibility for football S&C. If he didn't like his boss (again no evidence of it) then he should have found a way to work around him...in 3 long years.
Certainly not an age thing with BE. I also am not blaming BE for much at all. I said MP was handcuffed, some of that was with BE (who to hire and certain workouts to perform) and some of that was with the staff (who could sit out and who could do the full workouts they were doing), handcuffed doesn't mean there is no way you can do your job.

Goodness. Go read ***'s post #15. The entire lengthy first paragraph was blaming Bo's staff for not having players lift from the floor. The entire second paragraph implies Epley was a problem. While I've never been shy about blaming Bo, it is ridiculous to blame his staff for the poor conditioning of the team 3 years later. That is idiotic. And, there has been nothing that supports the argument that BE, the greatest S&C coach in history, is the cause either. Study up.
Who is blaming Bo's staff for bad S&C year 3? Who is saying BE is the cause? For probably the dozenth time in this thread, BE was part of the dysfunction, this current staff was part of the dysfunction, the previous staff never lifting from the floor set us back when MP took over. Nothing is the singular cause, MP didn't get the results even he wanted. SOME of that was his fault, SOME of that were other things.

Silliness. Nothing *** posted should have been an obstacle to producing a well conditioned team. Honestly, I don't think even *** believes it. And, implying the BE was a big part of the problem is ridiculous, and basically a harmful rumor...why hasn't Moos canned him? I don't get why nearly every other coach on MR's staff gets lambasted in thread after thread, but the guy responsible for S&C is getting a free pass, when there were issues in his area three years after he took over.
Who is giving him a free pass? I am giving reasons that it wasn't entirely what he pictured, guys like Duvall and Turley had total autonomy. Who knows, without Epley's help and without coaches saying to hold guys out, maybe things would get worse than what was going on?

My entire point, again, is that I struggle to get too mad at Riley when he was talked into Diaco and other things, so what our football team looked like this year is not anything close to what Riley envisioned. Same thing with MP. Not letting them off the hook, I don't want Riley or MP back.

Who is blaming Bo's staff for bad S&C year 3? Who is saying BE is the cause? For probably the dozenth time in this thread, BE was part of the dysfunction, this current staff was part of the dysfunction, the previous staff never lifting from the floor set us back when MP took over. Nothing is the singular cause, MP didn't get the results even he wanted. SOME of that was his fault, SOME of that were other things.
Trying to hold a conversation with GFOA:

upload_2018-1-10_8-52-59.jpeg

Trying to hold a conversation with GFOA:

View attachment 14336
It just gets frustrating because I give reasons why things might not totally be someones fault. For example, if I tell you Tanner Lee wasn't totally at fault because he was handcuffed by our OLs inability to keep him upright, that doesn't mean I am shifting total blame to them. But that's how things are being perceived in this thread.

Who is giving him a free pass? I am giving reasons that it wasn't entirely what he pictured, guys like Duvall and Turley had total autonomy. Who knows, without Epley's help and without coaches saying to hold guys out, maybe things would get worse than what was going on?

My entire point, again, is that I struggle to get too mad at Riley when he was talked into Diaco and other things, so what our football team looked like this year is not anything close to what Riley envisioned. Same thing with MP. Not letting them off the hook, I don't want Riley or MP back.

All of the things discussed in this thread paint a very clear picture of needing to clean house and start with a clean slate at NU. I have zero issues with HCSF bringing his whole staff to Lincoln. There were entirely too many chefs in the kitchen in Mike Riley's house.

Sorry if this has been explained but what are "lifts from the floor"? I'm fairly well versed in oly lifts and I've never heard the term.

If it means what I think it means I find it mind blowing that 18-22 yo kids coursing with hormones and selected for athletic ability can only lift 135 in any manner.

New guy Duval is a BE disciple right?

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_49cf9c50-529f-5412-9fe4-38643d4fac39.html

Epley says Duval uses the core tenants of his own Husker Power system, a pioneering program in the world of college athletics when Epley began working at NU in 1969, and has built in his own ideas as well.

“He basically grew up on Husker Power, and that’s what he’s used basically wherever he’s been,” Epley said. “I am excited to see Zach coming back to Nebraska because some of the things that have been missing the past three years are what Zach’s bringing.”

The families are so close that Duval trained Epley’s son, Jay Robert, to be a strength coach. Gibbie was in J.R.’s wedding and has been a sounding board for years.

“Gibbie is a guy who’s used our philosophies for years and we bounce ideas off of each other,” Epley said. “He’s in the private sector, but he’s sort of like an extension of us at the same time.”

Epley said he recommended Zach Duval for the job three years ago, but former coach Mike Riley instead hired Mark Philipp.

“Coach Riley had a guy that he wanted to work with,” he added. “(Philipp) didn’t have the Husker Power background, so it wasn’t quite the same. I think what you’ll see now is Zach … it’s going to be an exciting time. We haven’t had a lot of conversations yet (since Duval was hired), but there’s a tremendous amount of trust.”

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back