• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kendrick Lamar

Maybe I missed something.....Did some of you guys misplace the remote during the Halftime show? You sure seem to know allot about something that "you did not like".

Trying to speak objectively, Lamar's music is massively popular, especially among young people and particularly the demographic of a huge number of top football players. It's certainly "art" because it's creative and is a real representation of the thinking and reality of his sub-culture. It's as much that as Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA", just from a different perspective that I can't say is invalid simply because I don't share it. Personally, I can respect his work as art even though I don't enjoy it as music.

But I will say it's noteworthy he was featured and got to perform the songs he did, because I don't think any performer at any of major televised event like this has ever come close to being as "traditionally offensive" as Lamar is in almost all his work, including in these songs. Presenting this to a broad, cross-over audience like this is pretty amazing.

I think it's entirely possible the lip syncing and poor sound quality was intentional, to make sure certain words were clipped and that there was no chance the broader audience might understand the lyrics generally. His stuff including these songs doesn't have just one or two "naughty" words in it. Objectively you could say they're highly provocative pretty much all the way through.

It's almost funny thinking about the difference between Lamar's and many of the players' outlook and expression and that of a large part of the viewing audience. It's definitely worth a chuckle. ;)

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something.....Did some of you guys misplace the remote during the Halftime show? You sure seem to know allot about something that "you did not like".

I watched the first minute. Saw him “singing” while the microphone was above his head. Then I left the room. Sorry, I get that music is subjective and that I don’t like things other people like. But that was bad. I was at the NC game last year and Usher performed the night before. Equally as bad. Dude just jumps around and doesn’t sing. I simply don’t get it and don’t think it’s entertaining. JMO of course.

Last edited:
I watched the first minute. Saw him “singing” while the microphone was above his head. Then I left the room. Sorry, I get that music is subjective and that I don’t like things other people like. But that was bad. I was at the NC game last year and Usjer performed the night before. Equally as bad. Dude just jumps around and doesn’t sing. I simply don’t get it and don’t think it’s entertaining. JMO of course.
I feel ya on that. I am not a big fan of "new music" myself. But..when you have that many people outside knowing the words, it must be something. But I get where you are coming from.

Halftime sucked and so did the guys singing the national anthem

Didn't watch the game (just another sec conference championship game) so I don't know about halftime; but I caught the National Anthem on the weather channel on a replay of sorts. :Thumbsdown2: :Puke:

The real version done at the Army/Navy game was awesome and beautiful and is the way it is supposed to be sung. :nod: :Salute: :Usflag:

I feel ya on that. I am not a big fan of "new music" myself. But..when you have that many people outside knowing the words, it must be something. But I get where you are coming from.

Too much duck hunting as a younger person left me with some hearing loss. I can't understand extremely rapid speech or some accented (e.g. British) speech. My wife said that many of the lyrics are really powerful stuff, but I just have to take her word for it ...the kids in the audience were having a great time, I'll say that...

Not a fan of the dude, but that performance was simply horrible. The production crew should be out of work permanently.

:Cheers:
Trying to speak objectively, Lamar's music is massively popular, especially among young people and particularly the demographic of a huge number of top football players. It's certainly "art" because it's creative and is a real representation of the thinking and reality of his sub-culture. It's as much that as Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA", just from a different perspective that I can't say is invalid simply because I don't share it. Personally, I can respect his work as art even though I don't enjoy it as music.

But I will say it's noteworthy he was featured and got to perform the songs he did, because I don't think any performer at any of major televised event like this has ever come close to being as "traditionally offensive" as Lamar is in almost all his work, including in these songs. Presenting this to a broad, cross-over audience like this is pretty amazing.

I think it's entirely possible the lip syncing and poor sound quality was intentional, to make sure certain words were clipped and that there was no chance the broader audience might understand the lyrics generally. His stuff including these songs doesn't have just one or two "naughty" words in it. Objectively you could say they're highly provocative pretty much all the way through.

It's almost funny thinking about the difference between Lamar's and many of the players' outlook and expression and that of a large part of the viewing audience. It's definitely worth a chuckle. ;)

Uhhhhh. THIS is one of the best written post I have ever seen on here. NICE!!!

Last edited:
Give me the 2 school bands at half. The only thing worse than KL would have been more time with the half time announcing crew.
So at least he gave us a break from those dolts.

In my house there was a clear trend.

The parents hated it.

The teenagers loved it.

That pretty much sums up a lot of things. :nod:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back