• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Holiday Drinks?

Yep

Not as pretty as Kevin Kugler
5 Year Member
I was enjoying a White Russian last weekend. Anyone want to share a good holiday drink recipe they enjoy? I'm a bourbon drinker (on the rocks), so I usually like my alcohol with my alcohol but around the holiday time I enjoy different drinks. I'm assuming most people know a White Russian recipe but here it is:

White Russian
2 shots vodka
1 shot Kahlua
3/4 to 1 shot cream (I like heavy whipping cream but half and half works too)

my-advice-to-qvv5y7.jpg

The stuff is hard to find. Spendy too.
My father-in-law is really good friends with the owner of a couple of liquor stores. He hooks me up. Will get this years stash for Christmas again.

My father-in-law is really good friends with the owner of a couple of liquor stores. He hooks me up. Will get this years stash for Christmas again.

Had a really good friend who's dad owned a liquor store. All I got was free ice and $10 cases of Bud. Of course that was in Goodland Kansas...so there's that.

Reactions: Yep
Pappy Van....if I can find it.

Come on by, I'm just finishing a bottle and have one on the way.

Did you guys know that they have someone else distill it for them? They provide the recipe, have someone else distill it, choose the barrels they want, have it bottled, labeled and shipped. Kind of a sham if you ask me, considering what they ask for a bottle. The entire brand is built upon urban legend but good on them for capitalizing.

Did you guys know that they have someone else distill it for them? They provide the recipe, have someone else distill it, choose the barrels they want, have it bottled, labeled and shipped. Kind of a sham if you ask me, considering what they ask for a bottle. The entire brand is built upon urban legend but good on them for capitalizing.

It's one of many 'high end' bourbon's distilled that way. I'm not a fan of anything over about $50 a bottle because I drink too damned much and honestly I guess my taste buds aren't sophisticated enough to pick up on the nuances that make it worth the money they're asking. I'll drink it when offered though. No question.

That isn't accurate. Buffalo Trace uses the same mash bill for nearly all of their bourbons and they distill it themselves. The barrel and floor it is aged on is really the only difference. I think Pappy is on one of the middle floors.
Many bourbons do what you are saying but Buffalo Trace has it's own distillery.

That isn't accurate. Buffalo Trace uses the same mash bill for nearly all of their bourbons and they distill it themselves. The barrel and floor it is aged on is really the only difference. I think Pappy is on one of the middle floors.
Many bourbons do what you are saying but Buffalo Trace has it's own distillery.
I'm just relaying how it was explained to my by someone in the industry, here in Louisville. Buffalo Trace does distill it but then representatives from the brand (PVW) choose which barrels they want which are then bottled and distributed. So really, its just Buffalo Trace with a PVW label and stupid steep price tag.

I'm just relaying how it was explained to my by someone in the industry, here in Louisville. Buffalo Trace does distill it but then representatives from the brand (PVW) choose which barrels they want which are then bottled and distributed. So really, its just Buffalo Trace with a PVW label and stupid steep price tag.
I get what you're saying but it isn't entirely accurate. You are correct it is a brand of Buffalo Trace and the mash bill is almost identical to Buffalo Trace. The difference between Buffalo Trace and PVW is the barrel and what floor it is stored in at the barrel house. It's not just a sticker. That is similar to saying Ford makes an F-150 and then some guy come over and slaps a King Ranch sticker on it.

The barrel, length of storage and storage conditions are what gives all bourbon its flavor. It's basically a clear grain alcohol when it is initially distilled and they all taste about the same when they leave the pot still.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back