• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chip Kelly turns down Nebraska & Tennessee.

The expectations were ridiculous and pretty much impossible. I hope we are more grounded now in reality. We’ve certainly, as fans, consumed a large dose of it.
Here's the problem IMO. When we hire a new HC lets say we're paying him 5 million a year. That would put our coach in what the Top 10 coaches in college football are making. Would it be to much to expect then more often then not we finish in the Top 10 to 15? If not why would we pay our coach Top 10 money yet have much lower expectations then programs say paying FAR LESS?

I just can't see paying top dollar for filet mignon then get served hamburger while someone says just be happy with your hamburger?

Last edited:

The expectations were ridiculous and pretty much impossible. I hope we are more grounded now in reality. We’ve certainly, as fans, consumed a large dose of it.

Wish I could share your optimism but I'm not convinced we've hit bottom yet. Still a lot of heavy breathing for a Hipster of the Heartland offense. My only hope is that ADBM being a seasoned AD...AND a former D1 offensive lineman makes the right hire. I was ready to move on from Pelini, primarily due to his underperforming defenses in big games at the end of his tenure.... and wasn't enamored with his version of the spread either.

We're not WSU...we don't need the "Leach the Entertainer" type hire to fill seats and AD coffers...brilliant for WSU, but not NU.

Last edited:
Here's the problem IMO. When we hire a new HC lets say we're paying him 5 million a year. That would put our coach in what the Top 10 coaches in college football are making. Would it be to much to expect then more often then not we finish in the Top 10 to 15? If not why would we pay our coach Top 10 money yet have much lower expectations then programs say paying FAR LESS?

I just can't see paying top dollar for filet mignon then get served hamburger while someone says just be happy with your hamburger?

The expectations are going to be high, and I agree that’s reasonable. However, when Solich was hired, his immediate predecessor had just gone 60-3 over 5 years. A significant and vocal fraction (or faction, if you will) of the fan base absolutely expected him to maintain a level of success that was close to that. It just wasn’t going to happen. He did manage to go 58-19. Looking through the lens of that time from the perspective of having enjoyed the final years of Osborne’s tenure, that just wasn’t good enough for some people.

Fast-forward to now. 58-19 looks pretty darn good. The way I look at it, it’s really unlikely that we’ll ever have another 60-3 run; it was that special and that rare. Lots of fortunate things happened that allowed that all to come together. But 58-19 seems, well, doable. In fact, there are a number of coaches out there who could likely achieve that sort of record at Nebraska. Of course, I still think that the goal ought to be to win championships, otherwise why even play? But to think we’re going to be consistently in that 60-3 range is just plain foolish. So the expectations ought to be high, but let’s not put the same onus on the next coach that we did on Solich, or even Pelini, for that matter. The steps are: teach good fundamental football, play good solid football (block and tackle well), win most of your games, win a division “title” or two, figure out how to maybe compete for the Big 10 Championship and then move on from there.

Not surprising. Your crystal ball predictions over the last 15 years have gotten us to the point we find ourselves today.
Haven’t followed ct’s posts enough to know his long term position but the performance of our program on the field, under BC and MR has been soulless.

Last edited:

Not surprising. Your crystal ball predictions over the last 15 years have gotten us to the point we find ourselves today.
15 years? Really? No idea where you get that idea but whatever floats your boat Spud....

Last edited:

Maybe not quite, but Pelini got close twice in the Big 12, Solich did win and Callahan came close too. 2 of the 4 where nine win a year coaches, and all were disliked by at least half the fans during their runs.
I don't think that's true of Solich at all, and it was only true of Pelini after he was fired and audio of his private meeting was released.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back