• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chili

Big Burruss

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
Getting a little nippy outside, that means chili!

Deer burger, grilled tomatoes, onions and peppers, beans, and as many types of chilis as I can find. Add a little cocoa powder and beer for complexity and simmer until you can eat it with a fork. Then I sear a steak, slice it into small pieces and add it to the pot just before I serve it. Add a little cheese and some Fritos or serve it over cornbread and it keeps the family happy.

What do y'all do?

Similar, but I'll char the tomatoes whole, then run them through a blender, no cocoa powder or beer and plenty of spice.

I know what I'll be making this weekend.

I have honestly never heard of putting cocoa powder in chili, but that sounds intriguing. As far as beer goes, I'm an IPA guy, however, a can of Guinness works wonderful in chili, and also, a shot of Guinness works well in a Bloody Mary. I'll have to give the cocoa powder a test drive soon. I love making Venison chili with cayenne pepper, white pepper, crushed black pepper and minced jalapeno's. Kumato tomatoes, heirlooms too, and red onions...... Now I'm hungry for a pot of chili.....

I have honestly never heard of putting cocoa powder in chili, but that sounds intriguing. As far as beer goes, I'm an IPA guy, however, a can of Guinness works wonderful in chili, and also, a shot of Guinness works well in a Bloody Mary. I'll have to give the cocoa powder a test drive soon. I love making Venison chili with cayenne pepper, white pepper, crushed black pepper and minced jalapeno's. Kumato tomatoes, heirlooms too, and red onions...... Now I'm hungry for a pot of chili.....

Ever had Cincinnati chili?

Got stuck in airport in Cincinnati trying to get home for Thanksgiving one year. Only place open was famous for it's 'Cincinnati' chili. What the hell. Ordered a bowl, put one spoonful in my mouth and spit it back out.

Me: 'What the hell is wrong with this chili?'
Waitress: 'You don't like it honey?'
Me: 'No. It just tastes off, like the meat was bad.'
Waitress: 'First time you've had Cincinnati chili?'
Me: 'And last.'
Waitress: 'It's the cinnamon. We put cinnamon in our chili.'

Good for you. Don't know what dumbass came up with that, but to me it just tasted like the meat went bad. Not something I'd recommend from a culinary standpoint.

Ever had Cincinnati chili?

Got stuck in airport in Cincinnati trying to get home for Thanksgiving one year. Only place open was famous for it's 'Cincinnati' chili. What the hell. Ordered a bowl, put one spoonful in my mouth and spit it back out.

Me: 'What the hell is wrong with this chili?'
Waitress: 'You don't like it honey?'
Me: 'No. It just tastes off, like the meat was bad.'
Waitress: 'First time you've had Cincinnati chili?'
Me: 'And last.'
Waitress: 'It's the cinnamon. We put cinnamon in our chili.'

Good for you. Don't know what dumbass came up with that, but to me it just tasted like the meat went bad. Not something I'd recommend from a culinary standpoint.

They probably got the recipe from Les at WKRP. Cinnamon in Chili is just wrong.

They probably got the recipe from Les at WKRP. Cinnamon in Chili is just wrong.

I think he used the leftover turkey from his Thanksgiving turkey drop for the chili. Another 'no-no' in my book. Beef, deer, elk, bison, hell I've even used dark meat from pheasant, but no freaking turkey.

As God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly just brings me to my knees in laughter every time.

Funny side note on this:

First pheasant hunting trip in Western Kansas with my former brother in law and one of his buddies from Colorado and we walked up on a tom turkey in a clump of bushes along a fence line. That thing takes off and the look on the kids face was one of utter shock.

He says: ''Turkey's can't fly!?!?'

I said: 'Says who?'

He says: 'WKRP.'

Darwin.

Funny side note on this:

First pheasant hunting trip in Western Kansas with my former brother in law and one of his buddies from Colorado and we walked up on a tom turkey in a clump of bushes along a fence line. That thing takes off and the look on the kids face was one of utter shock.

He says: ''Turkey's can't fly!?!?'

I said: 'Says who?'

He says: 'WKRP.'

Darwin.

Ah Bach!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back