• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Back to the Core & the Contrarian Principle

1HSKRFN

Recruit
10 Year Member
Long time infrequent poster and longtime lurker. Been around and seen a lot of good posters leave (Rojo comes to mind). My 2 cents. Forgive me, it's long.

I hate what we're going through right now as Husker fans, and I hate corporate buzzwords like "Core Values" but it's needed in a search for a new coach, which I think will be happening soon. Moos HAS to get us back to the core of who we are.

Husker Football is the identity of Nebraska. More so than any other State in the US. We value hard work, consistency, fair play, simplicity, discipline, learning, passion for success, and over achieving, Common traits for many Midwestern and US States where agriculture and farming make up a large part of the history and identity of the State but I've seen and been around a lot of other States and these values just mean more in Nebraska. It is a special place.

Understanding this and the fanbase is the key to success IMO when looking for a new coach and should "drive the strategy." (I know, very corporate like)

Some Key thoughts I went through when pondering this that led me to what seems to be in my humble view the obvious choice for our next coach.

1) Don't sell out. Know who you are and stick to it. Match the core values of the State with your choice for the next coach and their plan for a team identity.
2) On Offense: Be contrarian - don't try and be Ohio State, Alabama, USC, etc. those teams get consistent top talent at all positions throughout the country. Don't run what they do, run something different that they'll have to prepare for one week out of the year.
3) Start with the Line. Both sides of the ball. Not NFL dudes, I'm talking road graders, huge, powerful, and lot's of depth. The kind on offense that run block first. Defensive line, get the best that are out there. Forget about the new NFL style OT's that are 6'9 and look like basketball players, get the maulers that like to smash defenders into the turf. Get back into Texas and SEC States for D Lineman. Bring back O lineman like Fonoti.
4) Hire the best Defensive coordinator money can buy. Break the bank and sell out for the best defenders in the nation on the defensive side of the ball. Get into Florida and the Southeast for Corners, Safety and Linebackers. Hire only the best assistants to coach defense and special teams. Brent Venables? why not, throw out the money, go for it. Bring back pride on defense, consistency...see core values.
5) Focus on winning the division first. Find a way to consistently start beating Wisconsin. Understand you won't beat them at their own game. They are good at what they do. So do something different they'll have to prepare for.
6) Get the best mobile QB in the nation. Not Dual threat, but run first, pass second. Go after the ones being overlooked because they run first pass second...that won't make the NFL as a QB. Have a stable of running backs and bring back the fullback position with Nebraska kids, walkons.
7) Hire the absolute best S&Conditioning coach money can buy...someone proven that fits what your trying to do.
8) Forget about the spread, west coast, zone read, offense as a primary threat. Evey one runs it, they prepare for it all year. Be different. Don't try and out recruit and beat the powerhouse teams at their own game. Be contrarian, be who you are and be better than everyone else at it.
9) Develop the walk on Program. Make it the best it's ever been and talk about it a lot.

Now, who out there currently coaches a contrarian offense, that is run first and consistent (you know what your getting on 3rd & 1), surrounded by disciplined young men that overachieve, minimal to no character issues on the teams he's coached, players play football because they love football and more than likely will not make the NFL? What coach is out there that has a lot of energy, who can recruit Samoans for the offensive and defensive line, linebacker, and QB? A coach that would shake up the Big Ten West division? Hire him and the best D coordinator we can get and let's get back to Nebraska football!

Long time infrequent poster and longtime lurker. Been around and seen a lot of good posters leave (Rojo comes to mind). My 2 cents. Forgive me, it's long.

I hate what we're going through right now as Husker fans, and I hate corporate buzzwords like "Core Values" but it's needed in a search for a new coach, which I think will be happening soon. Moos HAS to get us back to the core of who we are.

Husker Football is the identity of Nebraska. More so than any other State in the US. We value hard work, consistency, fair play, simplicity, discipline, learning, passion for success, and over achieving, Common traits for many Midwestern and US States where agriculture and farming make up a large part of the history and identity of the State but I've seen and been around a lot of other States and these values just mean more in Nebraska. It is a special place.

Understanding this and the fanbase is the key to success IMO when looking for a new coach and should "drive the strategy." (I know, very corporate like)

Some Key thoughts I went through when pondering this that led me to what seems to be in my humble view the obvious choice for our next coach.

1) Don't sell out. Know who you are and stick to it. Match the core values of the State with your choice for the next coach and their plan for a team identity.
2) On Offense: Be contrarian - don't try and be Ohio State, Alabama, USC, etc. those teams get consistent top talent at all positions throughout the country. Don't run what they do, run something different that they'll have to prepare for one week out of the year.
3) Start with the Line. Both sides of the ball. Not NFL dudes, I'm talking road graders, huge, powerful, and lot's of depth. The kind on offense that run block first. Defensive line, get the best that are out there. Forget about the new NFL style OT's that are 6'9 and look like basketball players, get the maulers that like to smash defenders into the turf. Get back into Texas and SEC States for D Lineman. Bring back O lineman like Fonoti.
4) Hire the best Defensive coordinator money can buy. Break the bank and sell out for the best defenders in the nation on the defensive side of the ball. Get into Florida and the Southeast for Corners, Safety and Linebackers. Hire only the best assistants to coach defense and special teams. Brent Venables? why not, throw out the money, go for it. Bring back pride on defense, consistency...see core values.
5) Focus on winning the division first. Find a way to consistently start beating Wisconsin. Understand you won't beat them at their own game. They are good at what they do. So do something different they'll have to prepare for.
6) Get the best mobile QB in the nation. Not Dual threat, but run first, pass second. Go after the ones being overlooked because they run first pass second...that won't make the NFL as a QB. Have a stable of running backs and bring back the fullback position with Nebraska kids, walkons.
7) Hire the absolute best S&Conditioning coach money can buy...someone proven that fits what your trying to do.
8) Forget about the spread, west coast, zone read, offense as a primary threat. Evey one runs it, they prepare for it all year. Be different. Don't try and out recruit and beat the powerhouse teams at their own game. Be contrarian, be who you are and be better than everyone else at it.
9) Develop the walk on Program. Make it the best it's ever been and talk about it a lot.

Now, who out there currently coaches a contrarian offense, that is run first and consistent (you know what your getting on 3rd & 1), surrounded by disciplined young men that overachieve, minimal to no character issues on the teams he's coached, players play football because they love football and more than likely will not make the NFL? What coach is out there that has a lot of energy, who can recruit Samoans for the offensive and defensive line, linebacker, and QB? A coach that would shake up the Big Ten West division? Hire him and the best D coordinator we can get and let's get back to Nebraska football!

You're idea of a "contrarian offense" is something I've been thinking about since FS took over. One of the pieces this program has been missing is an innovator, a tinkerer, a chess player, someone who thinks outside the box. This year, in particular, we seem to have a pretty good first series (that is, until disaster happens) because the it's scripted. Once off the script, the O seems to flounder. I'm far from an X's and O's guy but when is the last time we were talking about what a great game plan we had installed for a game? I believe it's a major reason we haven't been relevant for 15 years.

No problem with your thinking but I only know of two coaches that still run the ball predominately with the option. You still need speed and that rarely comes from home. Without it we cannot get to the outside and on defense they run by us (see OSU). Do your thoughts mean we don't waste our time recruiting Nebraska kids with NFL aspirations? And what do we do when we get behind with little time left? Takes time for three yards and a cloud of dust to go 80 yds with no mistakes. I am not against your thoughts but they create other issues. Nebr has a lot of passing qb in its storied past. We won a lot with a few running qb who were rare talents. Frazier, Crouch, Frost. What do we do when that one is injured or we do not get the stud to play the position. Not gloom and doom but just thinking what that limited philosophy would cost us.

Some interesting points you make, thanks for sharing them. I personally haven't given much thought as to who our next coach should be if it comes to that and I'm not all that sure that a change is imminent. There is no doubt that problems exist in many areas for the HUSKERS but it's not going to be a quick fix no matter what direction the powers to be decide to go in. I have been a MR supporter ever since he took the job but the Ohio State debacle has altered my thinking. While I do believe a change needs to be made sooner than later, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another year to right the ship.

your D-Coordinator should be KEVIN STEELE. Former Husker coach under TO who Peter Principled himself as Head Coach at Baylor.

has done extremely well as D-coordintor where he is now at Auburn. Last two jobs LSU and Alabama.

Let's get back to Nebraska/Samoan football? What have we had 3 of them? We won't ever get many. None played in our NC heyday either.

whats this "contrarian" offense you'd like to see?
Flexbone. I watched Georgia Tech run up and down the field against Miami who has superior talent. Only weakness was GT's defense, which is why I'm saying we absolutely have to have a great defense. Can't afford to get behind by a lot running this offense. And no I'm not promoting UNL hiring Paul Johnson. But watch Navy vs. UCF today and the guy coaching across from Scott Frost is the guy I'm saying would be a good fit.

your D-Coordinator should be KEVIN STEELE. Former Husker coach under TO who Peter Principled himself as Head Coach at Baylor.

has done extremely well as D-coordintor where he is now at Auburn. Last two jobs LSU and Alabama.
Perfect. With ties to the SEC for recruiting speed on defense

Let's get back to Nebraska/Samoan football? What have we had 3 of them? We won't ever get many. None played in our NC heyday either.[/QUOTS
We'll get more Samoan football players with a Samoan coach. Samoans are excellent football players especially in the Oline, Dline, and Linebacker positions. The point was let's get back to a run game on offense, with a different style of play, that has a consistent identity, instead of what 90% of the rest of the Nation and the BIG West runs (multiple zone read/spread). Doing so requires going after O-lineman that fit a run heavy offense, not your prototype NFL bound pocket pass protectors but instead, huge, strong, road grader types....Samoans are an excellent demographic to recruit for this type of an offensive line.

Now, who currently coaches a contrarian offense, that is run first and consistent (you know what your getting on 3rd & 1), surrounded by disciplined young men that overachieve, minimal to no character issues on the teams he's coached, players play football because they love football and more than likely will not make the NFL...has a lot of energy, who can recruit Samoans for the offensive and defensive line, linebacker, and QB?

Easier said than done:rolleyes:

You need to consider a unique offense to help make up for Nebraska's lack of population and thus D1 talent. That unique offense can be Flexbone, Pistol, Air Raid, whatever, it just can't be the standard thing that everyone else in the Power 5 conferences are running. It has to be something that is hard for them to prepare for the week they play DONU.

This is a corollary to the walk on program and long term development of talent that is not ready at 17 and is ready at 20.

Defense is more about talent as TO and Charlie McBride found out in the early 90's.
Hence the switch to the 4-3, the emphasis on speed over size. Our linebackers of that era were what previously had been strongly safety size! But we learned that E=MC2. Velocity triumphs over mass :).

Kevin Steele's track record as a D-coordintor and SeC ties do look intriguing.

Last edited by a moderator:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back