• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Trinidad & Tobago (10/10/17) Update: Flooded Pitch

Yeah its all Bruce Arena's fault. ;)

No one is buying that...well maybe one or two people are.

Somewhere Jurgen Klinsmans is laughing as he counts his $6.2 M payout.

Gulati needs to go he started this mess back in 2011

Clean house from top to bottom
The article is referencing the loss to TT, and the decisions Arena made that led to that loss. The loss to TT is on Arena and the players.

Thankfully, Arena resigned, and wasn't fired.
Sean_connery_raction.gif

Could you add me to the PM also. Thanks. Getting ready for tournament this weekend in NE. Hopefully the rain stays away.

Thankfully, Arena resigned, and wasn't fired. So that's some money saved. Now the question is, what does the USMNT do to replace him, and how long does US Soccer wait to bring in a new coach? Article says the goal is to have someone chosen in the coming weeks, to get ready for November friendlies, but why the rush?

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states...as-united-states-manager-after-world-cup-miss

He did the honorable thing which is more than can be said about a few other people including Sunil Gulati.

With that being said Gulati should not be allowed to hire another coach. Sort of surprised no one has commented on that in this thread.

I will say it again somewhere Jugen Klinsman is laughing and counting that $ 6.2 M payout and many folks who were onboard with him through thick and thin are trying to make Arena the boogeyman now. It would be hilarious to watch if it were not so sad.

Time to clean house from top to bottom and fix the disaster begun by Sunil Gulati back in 2011. That's where we should be focused now.

I think Ives has been pretty fair in his criticism of both JK and Arena.

I've yet to see single person (on this board or even other boards), not blame JK for a large part of this. I also don't see people not blaming Gulati. I think everyone in this thread, at least, agrees that his time should come to an end now. Both JK and Gulati share a large portion of the blame for USMNT's embarrassing failure.

What I have seen, however, are posters bending over backwards to NOT give Arena his fair share of the blame. For dumb decisions like starting Gonzo over Cameron, or not even having FJ on the squad, you can't put that on JK. You can't put that on Gulati. You can, and should, put that squarely on Arena. Arena, JK and Gulati ALL share a large portion of the blame (as do many players), but for what we witnessed over the last few qualifiers, some of those boneheaded decisions have to be owned by Arena.

Last edited:
Arena needed to go and not one person disputed that in this thread. Kudos for doing it the honorable way.

Now its time for Gulati to do the same AND not be allowed to pick another coach

As for Klinsman it is what it is and I will leave it that. Folk on this forum know what I am talking about and what is what and that is a fact.

I agree time to move on

Clean house from top to bottom

Last edited:

Lets put it this way, I don't want to read about someone's success in MLS being a major reason for their inclusion in the USMNT going forward. They need to prove it against serious competition in club play, and as we're seeing, making your career in MLS is not proving yourself against serious competition. MLS is not at the level of play that cornerstone members of the USMNT need to be playing in when in their 20's. Guys like Dempsey and Howard at the end of their careers, sure. Like I said in the Panama thread, it's no surprise the best player on the USMNT right now isn't playing in MLS.
Agreed 100%.

The more young players we can send to Europe, the better off the USMNT will be. MLS has improved significantly since its beginning, but it's no where near any of the top leagues overseas. Its constant expansion also has diluted the talent.

Agreed 100%.

The more young players we can send to Europe, the better off the USMNT will be. MLS has improved significantly since its beginning, but it's no where near any of the top leagues overseas. Its constant expansion also has diluted the talent.

That's how I feel as well. MLS will serve it's purpose for filling up the "B" squad in off-year Gold Cups, camp cupcake, random friendlies. The "A" squad should be made up for mostly European-based club players. Guys like Jordan Morris need to get to Europe ASAP. He isn't getting better by playing MLS level soccer. It doesn't matter if these guys are going to bottom half of the table clubs that have to fight for relegation. At least they are fighting for something in club play. What are bottom of the table teams in MLS fighting for? Nothing, because they know they're still playing MLS next season.

So, I'm sitting here watching a Bundesliga game on FS2, and the commentator is none other than Steve Cherundolo, the Mayor of Hannover. It got me thinking, why aren't there more Cherundolo's in the USMNT bullpen? Guys that made a good career playing in Europe with middle of the table teams. No doubt, Cherundolo could have come to MLS in his early 30's, made more money, and been a star for some random MLS team. Instead, he stayed at Hannover, and became a cornerstone figure on the backline for close to a decade. When did that mindset change with USMNT players?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back