• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Playing Freshman: Why not?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4942
  • Start date
Discoverer27
Okay, first Illinois played 10 freshman when we played them so yes 10 weeks is enough time for them to be able to learn to participate and use their talent.

Second, no not all 14, as you can clearly see I have not mentioned any of the other O-linemen or D-linemen as they are the ones who commonly need S&C as you have mentioned, with only five O-linemen having started at DONU in the last what 40 years.

I remember Tommie Frazer playing as true Freshman, Ahman Green as true Freshman, Ralph Brown as true freshman, I think Grant Wistrom played as true freshman. All were Difference makers; that's what I'm hoping Coach Riley can find on our roster.
Ahman Green was the third or fourth RB playing due to injury or suspension.

The rest were just exceptional players.

Last edited:

Discoverer27
Okay, first Illinois played 10 freshman when we played them so yes 10 weeks is enough time for them to be able to learn to participate and use their talent.

Second, no not all 14, as you can clearly see I have not mentioned any of the other O-linemen or D-linemen as they are the ones who commonly need S&C as you have mentioned, with only five O-linemen having started at DONU in the last what 40 years.

I remember Tommie Frazer playing as true Freshman, Ahman Green as true Freshman, Ralph Brown as true freshman, I think Grant Wistrom played as true freshman. All were Difference makers; that's what I'm hoping Coach Riley can find on our roster.

Illinois looked like a high school team. That's one of the worst Power 5 teams I've seen. We couldn't outclass Arkansas State and we completely outclassed Illinois. I'm guessing Lovie wishes he had a better cast of upperclassmen.

Understood. 3 of the 4 guys you named had successful NFL careers and the other should have won the Heisman and is considered the best QB in NU history. You probably couldn't come up with any more because there haven't been a lot due to the superior depth NU had in those eras. Virtually everyone redshirted. We lack upper classmen depth at most positions.

Calling for Freshman to play is an admission that our upperclassmen aren't cutting it. Or I think some people get wrapped up in recruiting and want freshmen to play because they are the new shiny toy.

:nod: If any of the Freshman could be "difference makers", I trust that Riley and company will put them on the field.

Understood. 3 of the 4 guys you named had successful NFL careers and the other should have won the Heisman and is considered the best QB in NU history. You probably couldn't come up with any more because there haven't been a lot due to the superior depth NU had in those eras. Virtually everyone redshirted. We lack upper classmen depth at most positions.
Yep exactly. Are we thin? Sure we are but there are certain freshmen that would play anyway. DPE was a perfect example.

I agree that freshman players at skill positions should play if capable, but I would caution against playing freshmen offensive linemen unless absolutely necessary (as has happened this year.) Their bodies, while big, have not matured and their technique has not been refined. They are therefore more prone to leg injuries which can then plague them the rest of their career.
JMHO

husker6
Exactly, before his injury DPE was a Difference maker!

Since his injury he has been a very, very, very good player but not the difference maker he was that first year where he could change the complexion of the game all by himself.

Again, some of you are missing my point so I apologize for my poor ability to express it. I'm not looking for a lot of freshman to play but for the hope that there is a Junior Miller sitting on the bench and maybe a Lavonte David that would enable this team to turn things around after OSU and win out from there.

Discoverer27
I couldn't come up with any more because i'm 64 and my memory runs slow. Give me another day and a chance to look at my Husker media guides (they go back to 1960) and maybe I could do better :)

Last edited by a moderator:
husker6
Exactly, before his injury DPE was a Difference maker!

Since his injury he has been a very, very, very good player but not the difference maker he was that first year where he could change the complexion of the game all by himself.

Again, some of you are missing my point so I apologize for my poor ability to express it. I'm not looking for a lot of freshman to play but for the hope that there is a Junior Miller sitting on the bench and maybe a Lavonte David that would enable this team to turn things around after OSU and win out from there.

I hear you. I wish there were 2 Suhs, a Terrell Farley, 3 Randy Mosses, and 4 Will Shields on the bench. I don't think there are.

RFr Boe Wilson should be seeing playing time / rotating in... oh, that's right, Cav doesn't believe in rotating :Banghead:

hope to see more minutes from the RFr pass rushers... QA, Pernell Jefferson & Colin Miller??

Last edited:
I'm not looking for a lot of freshman to play but for the hope that there is a Junior Miller sitting on the bench and maybe a Lavonte David
I think there have been except this year's start has really exposed the depth. Also Miller never played as a frosh and David was a Juco.

Look at the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes. Only 2 OT Knievel and Gates. Knievel was a project and hasn't worked out very well. how in the world do you take our weakest position for years and only fill the cupboard with one player.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back