• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A NC coach, Hall of Famer & All Pro WR walk into a bar...

cactusboy

Husker Fan
10 Year Member
and decide where to send their sons to play college football...who to have coach them.

I'm taking the thoroughly thought through opinion of our HC & staff from the deep knowledgeable men of Les Miles, Curt Warner and Keyshawn Johnson over a bunch of arm chair QBs and Larry the Cable Guy. Just saying...

No disrespect the LTCG.

and decide where to send their sons to play college football...who to have coach them.

I'm taking the thoroughly thought through opinion of our HC & staff from the deep knowledgeable men of Les Miles, Curt Warner and Keyshawn Johnson over a bunch of arm chair QBs and Larry the Cable Guy. Just saying...

No disrespect the LTCG.
Your premise is all well and good, if it weren't for that small fact that coaching, as is many other professions, is a results based business.

I want my doctor to be a great guy, get me in to see him quickly and have a great bed side manner. But if he can't fix the problem, I'm going to look for another doctor. A corporate CEO might be the greatest guy in the world. A philanthropist who cares about his company and people. But if he/she allows the company to hemorrhage money, they'll be relieved of their duties in short order and a replacement will be found.

Coaching is the same way. It is ultimately a results based business.

I like MR. I want him to succeed here. He seems to embrace the culture and NU. It looks like he has a nice recruiting class coming in. But....if he can't get the job done, he'll be sent packing. Every coach in the business knows this.

Last edited:
Your premise is all well and good, if it weren't for that small fact that coaching, as is many other professions, is a results based business.

I want my doctor to be a great guy, get me in to see him quickly and have a great bed side manner. But if he can't fix the problem, I'm going to look for another doctor. A corporate CEO might be the greatest guy in the world. A philanthropist who cares about his company and people. But if he/she allows the company to hemorrhage money, they'll be relieved of their duties in short order and a replacement will be found.

Coaching is the same way. It is ultimately a results based business.

I like MR. I want him to succeed here. He seems to embrace the culture and NU. It looks like he has a nice recruiting class coming in. But....if he can't get the job done, he'll be sent packing. Every coach in the business knows this.

So...you think the NC coach, Hall of Famer and All Pro went with Riley because he is a nice guy and just ok coach?

Last edited:

So...you think the NC coach, Hall of Famer and All Pro went with Riley because he is a nice guy and just ok coach?
I don't believe they wanted their sons to play for MR because he is a nice guy. I don't believe MR is necessarily a bad coach either. I contend if your are a coaching at this level, you are a very good coach. That doesn't mean that you are immune to the expectations that are placed on a HC at a P5 school. Some great coaches have been fired from a job, including one of the men in your OP, Les Miles.

These guys (Miles/Johnson/Warner) have been at the top of their professions. They know that the odds of their sons ever playing past college are slim. So you want your child to go where they will be well taken care of, respected, and learn for the life in front of them. NU offers much in the way of this life learning, and by all accounts, MR is a great guy that you can trust to look out for your child.

I don't know how MR's tenure will end up here, but I do know he is at a results based school. He knows the consequences of not succeeding in Lincoln.

Last edited:

Maybe. Maybe they were intrigued by something academically. Maybe Warner liked the walk-on program. Maybe Miles didn't want to play for his dad (his next best offer was Michigan State). Maybe one is a legacy recruit who found cheap weed on a recruiting visit.

No disrespect the LTCG.

I like Riley, but a dad's decision is probably not based on wins and losses, instead what a coach may teach his son about other things such as character.

No disrespect the LTCG.
I don't get this joke...

A high school Athlete of the Year, a college Athlete of the Year, a college Hall of Famer, a former NFL receiver, a Congressman, an athletic director, and a multiple time national championship winning coach walk into a bar...

They're all named Tom Osborne, and they supported hundreds of young men choosing to play for Frank Solich and Bo Pelini.

And none of it means anything, really.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back