• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Premier League 2017-18

jikastew

15 Year Member
Another year.

And Chelsea starts the year with, like, 13 guys on their first team. Way to go, Roman and friends. Sold off most of our young club who could have eaten minutes this year. And the management response is......Danny Drinkwater? I loved Morata. He's the guy I wanted. But after that, I have no idea what Chelsea is doing. Why sell Matic, and why sell to ManU? Granted 40M was nice, but that's the price for a guy of his quality these days. Replaced with no one. What a cluster____.

Any hoo. Fun first weekend. Some great games.

Hopefully this is the year QPR gets back to the top flight. Hardest division in football worldwide to get promoted out of.

We have a young team and an owner with money however, this time around they are building it the right way. Best of all we have QPR legend Ian "Ollie" Holloway back. As my other country would say we are chuffed to have him in charge again. :)

Have 4 points in the first three matches and sit 11th in the table currently.

Last edited:
Have to admit....ManU might have assembled a thoroughbred this year. Freaking Matic looked better than ever. Can't say I'm surprised. Even over the past year, when he's been less than stellar and certainly not at 2015 levels, he literally could contain the game by himself. And then he'll crap the bed for 4 games. This type of change happens all the time in sports. A guy gets lazy and then steps into a new team and returns to previous form.

So, I've made predictions regarding transfers in previous years for Chelsea and am never close. So here's how I'd do this: Pay attention, Roman.

We NEED a winger, a fullback and a central mid. Those are the absolutes.

1. Draxler is wanting out. Get him. Loan Batshuayi immediately - he's not first team quality currently. Transfer fee expected to be 50M? Done and done. Who cares if we don't require his position. For that fee, he's well worth it, especially with Hazard needing time.

2. Ox-Chamberlain. 30-35M. Done and done if #3 doesn't happen and probably done and done even if it does. He can cover both wings and that's the largest need. He covers the English quota.

3. Sergi Roberto. 40M out-clause. Done and done. Why hasn't he been snatched up by.......EVERYONE/ANYONE? He fits needs all over the field. He can easily step in at fullback, either side. He can play central mid. He can play wing if needed. Apparently I rate him higher than everyone else. And I watch every Barca league game. He's the solution to the central mid issue and he's far and away the best option. I'm not even sure there is a viable candidate in the world for the same price. Beside, who has Chelsea been linked to besides freaking Drinkwater?

4. Sandro. 73M? Maybe. Can play wing. He can also play fullback easily in a back 3; and signing one player instead of two makes financial sense, even at 73M. Unless he gets injured.

5. Fullback. Got to have one. ManU wanting to part with oft-injured Shaw? Yes, if the price is right and no other good options are available. He won't be 1st choice and can be coddled. Rose for 50M? Yes. Big fan. Alot of money for him, but he fills the English quota and, well, he's good. Sergi Roberto - a wildcard because I think he wants to play midfield. But he provides the depth necessary at fullback and that's all that's needed. Cedric? I think I'd be fine with him if all else fails.

The rumored guys:

1. Van Dijk. Solid no. He's damn good, but so is Christensen and with another fullback signing along the back 3, that's wasted money. Azpi, Luiz, Cahill, Rudiger, Christensen and fullback to be named. No reason to sign him. We have first team quality rotation X2 already.

2. Belloti. Same deal as with Draxler. If you can get him......you grab him. The rumors won't go away. Minimal chance it happens. Oh, how I would love to see him in blue.

3. Drinkwater. Whatever word you want to put in front of no, as in "____ no", would suffice. Are we really considering Drinkwater when Roberto can be had for the same amount? Really? Really?

4. Cancelo. He can play fullback or wing. But he's not the quality we're looking for yet. And we need immediate impact.

Other notes:

1. Screw Diego Costa. Yes, I named my dog after him. But screw him. Let him rot in Brazil and keep his wages.
2. Conte. Great coach. Horrible personal skills apparently. He made 1/2 this mess. Shut up and coach. Roman's track record speaks for itself. I love you coaching Chelsea (currently) but get real about who you can attract and quit bitching when the board can't attract a player that isn't interested or available.
3. Roman and the Board. This is 3 years straight you've been behind in the market. Get your S together. You put the entire team in disarray 2 years straight. You've lucked out with Diego/Fabs and then with Luiz/Alonso. And yes, you lucked out that Athleti did you a solid and got flat-out, straight lucky with the Luiz/Alonso. No one expected the latter to play the way they did and that includes you. Admit it. But you've managed to get it together when it mattered. So, it's a wash.
4. Why do I have the grave suspicion that Matic is 2017's Kante? A stupid short-sighted transfer than gave a team the ammo to win the league. It'll be interesting to see if Matic plays to form all year.

If Chelsea only had to worry about the EPL, then the current roster is fine. But you can't play all the cups + the EPL with this squad. They'll be dead by January. And they sold all the players who could have filled in admirably on the first team while keeping quality on the field.

Last edited:
Damn it pains me to say it......but ManU looks soooooo good. Hell, they're even fun to watch.

I feel dirty.

My English uncle thinks United may win it all this year. With the amount of $$$ that Jose spent they better or he and the Glaziers will get run out of town.

Two trophies last year (League Cup and EUROPA League Cup) more than likely saved Jose's job and took some of the pressure off. However, Sir Alex still sits up in the Directors Box and wields a lot of influence.

Oh and pathetic start to the season for Chelsea. Need to get a win tomorrow sitting at 0 points in the table. Will not be easy vs Spurs.

Big win for the R's today over Hull City 2-1 and they now sit on 7 points in 4 games and are up to 6th in the table which puts them in a play-off spot for the moment. Long way to go with 42 more games on the horizon.

Hopeful of a promotion run this season with Ollie back in charge.

Last edited:
God help me. Why do I root for Arsenal? Same crap, different year. The most dysfunctional group of talent in professional football. Wenger would have been fired 12 times anywhere else. Hell, Ranieri and Mourinho were sacked the year after the EPL title. Arsenal is now at the point of a dysfunctional joke and they have been for years. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Transfer deadline fast approaching. And Chelsea, in desperate need of a FB, CM and winger (and probably a 2nd striker as well because Bats sucks) have signed no one since Morata. And to make matters worse, Drinkwater is still in play. Here's praying the smoke regarding Zappacosta are true. That's one down, hopefully. Smoke regarding Mahrez.......doubt that happens as Zappa can play wing and FB. But it doesn't solve the numbers problem. I think the Board has decided to either cede everything except CL and EPL games, or.......plan on running guys into the ground. And since we sold most of our young talent, we have a bunch of nothing on the bench. Add to that, I'm not sold on Bakayoko, either.

Listen, I don't mind Drinkwater. But not for 40M. Are you freaking kidding me? We gave Matic to a rival for 40M and are thinking of replacing him with Drinkwater. {shaking head}. We sold a cog in midfield with no replacement plan.

Llorente could have been had 3 months ago for 13M. But after watching Bats plunder around for a year, we didn't know he wasn't up to EPL standards? Really? Really.

At least we aren't Arsenal. So, we've got that going for us; which is nice.

QPR are up to sixth (play off spot) on 12 points after a 2-1 win over Ipswich

Starting to get excited about this team

Last edited:
Chelsea with a nice solid win, and suddenly the team is back into the top 3 just a point behind first place. Kind of pissed about the new NBC setup for EPL matches. Putting the Chelsea/LC match behind their new pay wall.

6 for the good guys today in the CL opener. Man that first goal by Pedro was clinical and that second from Zappacosta was ridiculous. I like that guy, think he is going to be able to provide some splendid cover in multiple positions.

Managed to draw vs. Arsenal. Flat game overall. Luiz with a straight red out 3 games. Last year that would have been really bad news. This year, just put in Christensen and we will be fine. Ah, depth along the back line is a wonderful thing.

And yes, I had to pay $50 for NBC gold this year. What a joke.

Time to unleash Hazard back onto the league. {Giddy}

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back