• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Christian Pulisic...how good can he be?

Dotsee

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
Is it possible that the US finally has it's first REAL international soccer star. Yes we have had successful players here, and good goalies in the premier, but no real attackers in the major leagues...until now?

As a Bayern fan seeing Pulisic deftly time the steal, fly in behind the defense and slotting home the goal made me grin and think, man this kid might be that good.

Then he does this vs Wolfsburg in the opener, now keep in mind Dembele has taken his ball and went home so Dortmund aren't supposed to be as good...maybe this opens the door for Pulisic to shine

The above goal is a thing of beauty as in an instant he takes advantage of a lapse in defense and makes Wolfsburg pay...I know Wolfsburg isn't a top tier team, but the above highlight is as much a highlight of Pulisic, as it is Dortmund.

How good can this kid be? Oh wait, did I mention...ahem, he is 18 yrs old. I am not ready to crown him anything YET, but he is the first one I have thought has a chance, and yes that includes Adu, and Donovan, I thought Holden had a chance to be a quality MF, but injuries took him down.
It's too early to tell about Pulisic, but I would not be surprised if the absence of Dembele gave him a chance to really shine, and on an even bigger stage than vs Wolfsburg. Here's hoping it's NOT against my beloved Bayern Munich

Adu never had a chance with his attitude. Donovan was Euro quality, no doubt. Maybe the greatest example of anti-American bias in European soccer.

Can you imagine Pulisic's value right now if he were British?

Adu never had a chance with his attitude. Donovan was Euro quality, no doubt. Maybe the greatest example of anti-American bias in European soccer.

Can you imagine Pulisic's value right now if he were British?

I watched Adu when he was at RSL and yeah attitude was a real issue. We knew several of the players pretty well and there was no love what so ever for him. Honestly though after watching him up close the talent nowhere near matched the hype. He would have a moment or two of brilliance but frankly was an average player whose attitude and ego compounded his lack of the super star tag that the media and MLS put on him.

Donovan could have played anywhere as he proved with Everton.

The stigma of being an American player still exists especially in England. Right or wrong its what it is and is not going away anytime soon. Donvan they had a great deal of respect for his skill and play making ability. Dempsey for his tenacity and in your face attitude when an English defender would try to take him out. He earned the respect for that and scoring big goals for an average at best Fulham.

This kid may be the best of the bunch because unlike Donovan he craves the competition in Europe. I think talent wise at a similar age they are pretty close.

As far as what the think who cares? Although I had a lot of fun when we won the Group over them in the 2010 WC rubbing friends and families noses in it. Some of their newspaper headlines were hilarious we won the Group.

As for his value if he puts up the numbers his club will not give him away or buy into the he is an American milarickey. At least not a German club. Now MLS has to often given away players for well under their value but that is slowly changing too.

Last edited:
Yes, I know Donovan and Dempsey both played in the EPL, but I don't believe that outside of their local fans, and here in the US, they ever attained soccer stardom. What I am noticing when I see Pulisic play is has become an expectation that he will perform this well. Also, like I said he is 18, and if you list the top 20 clubs in the world, it would be hard pressed to keep Borussia Dortmund out of the top 15, even the top 10, excluding Dembele...AND a big part of it is due to Pulisic

I am suggesting that he could be a superstar, a kid that VERY soon starts to get the kind of notice from those clubs that his peer Dembele is getting from Barca. I'll be honest, I would not be surprised if Bayern offered him a large sum, I also would not be surprised if he turns them down

Yes, I know Donovan and Dempsey both played in the EPL, but I don't believe that outside of their local fans, and here in the US, they ever attained soccer stardom. What I am noticing when I see Pulisic play is has become an expectation that he will perform this well. Also, like I said he is 18, and if you list the top 20 clubs in the world, it would be hard pressed to keep Borussia Dortmund out of the top 15, even the top 10, excluding Dembele...AND a big part of it is due to Pulisic

I am suggesting that he could be a superstar, a kid that VERY soon starts to get the kind of notice from those clubs that his peer Dembele is getting from Barca. I'll be honest, I would not be surprised if Bayern offered him a large sum, I also would not be surprised if he turns them down

I will tell you talking to English family and friends they thought very highly of Donovan and Dempsey. Interestingly enough the American who sits the highest is Claudio Rena (one of my all-time favorites). Captained two clubs in Scotland and England and made the All-EPL 11 twice. His problem was staying healthy in such a physical league.

I agree that Pulisic appears at this point in time to be the real deal

The next 3 to 4 years will tell the tale of Pulisic but his future appears to be very, very bright.

Last edited:
Pulisic is going to be outstanding. My only worry is how sleight his frame is. Still just a kid, so while he may not grow any taller, he still has time to fill out a little bit. If he keeps on his current trajectory, he'll become a target for defenders, especially in CONCACAF play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back