• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 C Brady Heiman, 6-11, 200 lbs, Platteview is 'N' (enters Transfer Portal > So. Dakota)

Recruiting report: Colleges taking notice as Platteview's Brady Heiman adds to his game
The 6-foot-11 center from Platteview — the state's No. 2 prospect for 2018 — can dunk on just about anyone, but he's also stepping out and draining 3-pointers.
Creighton, Minnesota and Nebraska have been in contact since before this past week.

Heiman has unofficially visited Creighton, Drake, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota and UNO.

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/rec...cle_7e0b83e4-6cd1-11e7-ae3b-4f7eb766573e.html

You offer this kid 100 times out of 100 on his unofficial visit. Nebraska can slow play local guards in order to watch their development because there are plenty of good guards out there. A 6'11" kid though, those don't grow on trees. They have seen him play against good competition now, no reason not to offer.

I like his game, I think his ceiling is a little higher than Elliott Eliason's. He's going to need a year to gain more strength and get used to the level of competition. Wonder if his parents have considered trying to get him to a bigger school like Papillion South.

Wonder if his parents have considered trying to get him to a bigger school like Papillion South.

I am not sure what the NSAA rules are, but I assume they are similar to the UIL rules in Texas. It's not that easy to "get him" to a bigger school. In Texas, if it is determined that an athlete transfers to another school for athletic reasons, he/she loses a year of eligibility at the varsity level. And from personal experience, it is very difficult to convince the UIL that a transfer is not for athletic reasons.

I am not sure what the NSAA rules are, but I assume they are similar to the UIL rules in Texas. It's not that easy to "get him" to a bigger school. In Texas, if it is determined that an athlete transfers to another school for athletic reasons, he/she loses a year of eligibility at the varsity level. And from personal experience, it is very difficult to convince the UIL that a transfer is not for athletic reasons.
NSAA is a joke and it would be very easy. One kid played at 3 schools last year starting at Omaha Westside, heading to Omaha South, then ending up at Omaha Burke.

You offer this kid 100 times out of 100 on his unofficial visit. Nebraska can slow play local guards in order to watch their development because there are plenty of good guards out there. A 6'11" kid though, those don't grow on trees. They have seen him play against good competition now, no reason not to offer.

I like his game, I think his ceiling is a little higher than Elliott Eliason's. He's going to need a year to gain more strength and get used to the level of competition. Wonder if his parents have considered trying to get him to a bigger school like Papillion South.
I do wonder what we are waiting for... I don't mean this condescendingly but does Miles know he doesn't have the time to develop a guy like this?

Just sent a text out wondering what the possible hold up is with Heiman (as I have seen him play zero times) and the response back from someone who is at all the AAU and summer stuff was "they have watched him a ton this summer, they must not be sold yet".

NSAA is a joke and it would be very easy. One kid played at 3 schools last year starting at Omaha Westside, heading to Omaha South, then ending up at Omaha Burke.
That is interesting. The UIL in Texas is very powerful, and they rule with an iron fist. I have never known them to lose a court case.

A basketball coach I know was ejected from two basketball games one season due to technical fouls. He was ordered to go to Austin for a "conference". When he arrived, he was immediately told that he would not be allowed to speak, and that one more ejection would lead to a one year suspension. He headed back to the Dallas area without having the chance to say one word.

I do wonder what we are waiting for... I don't mean this condescendingly but does Miles know he doesn't have the time to develop a guy like this?

I don't think that's it. Huskers just offered two 2020 recruits. :eek:

Brady Heiman has offers from Drake, UNO, So Dakota, Rice, Bucknell, and most recently Denver & Davidson, so far as I know. More likely you're correct that the coaches haven't been sold yet he can be successful playing High level Div I. ;)

Last edited:
Just sent a text out wondering what the possible hold up is with Heiman (as I have seen him play zero times) and the response back from someone who is at all the AAU and summer stuff was "they have watched him a ton this summer, they must not be sold yet".

I know they had several 'swings and misses', so there is probably an urge to jump on him...but not too fast. The thing I like about him is he has some range, so even if he doesn't develop the muscle to be a 5, you can still use him for a matchup problem by using him more outside. If they have watched that much, and they know the feeling about ignoring local talent, then they must have real concerns about his heart and passion for the game. That's really the only reason I can imagine for the hesitation. If a kid can give you some non-starter minutes as a 5 and a 4, as well as having some range, that's worth it. You don't just hope for some walkon to fill that role.

I know they had several 'swings and misses', so there is probably an urge to jump on him...but not too fast. The thing I like about him is he has some range, so even if he doesn't develop the muscle to be a 5, you can still use him for a matchup problem by using him more outside. If they have watched that much, and they know the feeling about ignoring local talent, then they must have real concerns about his heart and passion for the game. That's really the only reason I can imagine for the hesitation. If a kid can give you some non-starter minutes as a 5 and a 4, as well as having some range, that's worth it. You don't just hope for some walkon to fill that role.
I really don't know enough about him to have an opinion on it one way or the other. It seems the two best seniors this year are Shareef Mitchell who is way undersized and Brady Heiman who appears to be more of a project. Tough situation currently.

I've seen him a couple of times. When it comes to scoring in the paint, his size seems to be his toughest issue. He can't bang around in the middle and finish a lot of the time. He does have a decent short range jumper and a nice stroke from 3, though. I'm not saying offer him just because he's 6'11", but I think his rebounding and shot blocking ability out of H.S. make him worth the risk. If you can put some good weight on him and some offense builds along with it, great. I know it's only one year, but we used a scholarship on a grad transfer this year who will probably have similar production to what this kid could do as a freshman, and I don't think Miles is going to have a bunch of 6'10"+ dudes knocking down his door the next couple of years.

Well, he's got 5 scholarship openings for the 2018 class. He's pushed his chips in all in for this season, he'll either sink or swim. If he does have a good season, Eichorst's hand will be forced to extend his contract. Let's say we dance in year 6, I bet he'll be here 2 more years. Nebraska's athletic department is apathetic when it comes to the basketball program, no way they won't give a few more years to a coach who dances here twice.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that this year is all that matters. Win and he'll get enough time to maybe get a kid like this in the weight room a year. Just my opinion.

I've seen him a couple of times. When it comes to scoring in the paint, his size seems to be his toughest issue. He can't bang around in the middle and finish a lot of the time. He does have a decent short range jumper and a nice stroke from 3, though. I'm not saying offer him just because he's 6'11", but I think his rebounding and shot blocking ability out of H.S. make him worth the risk. If you can put some good weight on him and some offense builds along with it, great. I know it's only one year, but we used a scholarship on a grad transfer this year who will probably have similar production to what this kid could do as a freshman, and I don't think Miles is going to have a bunch of 6'10"+ dudes knocking down his door the next couple of years.

Thanks for posting this. I have seen him play twice. You really can't tell much against the competition he's playing against. There are two things I like though. He's got quick feat for a teenager with that size, he's not uncoordinated and on stilts, he's athletic. He also has some range, which is what I really like about him. Pick-n-rolls, pick-n-pops, I think he can provide some mismatches offensively.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back