• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Former West. Mich. head coach and Texas DC Gary Darnell has joined NU as a defensive consultant

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
FYI

Good move in my opinion.

Former Western Michigan head coach and Texas defensive coordinator Gary Darnell has joined the Husker staff as a defensive consultant.

Nebraska defensive coordinator Bob Diaco worked under Darnell at Western Michigan in 2004 as a linebackers coach. Darnell served as head coach at Western Michigan from 1997-2004, before moving on to Texas A&M for 2006 and 2007. Darnell also coached at Texas, Florida, Kansas State and several other stops during his coaching career.

For a couple of million dollars, I would take it.

Back on topic, these consultants seem to be good hires, a lot of experience hopefully level headed thinking. We shall see, I assume his background is in the 3-4?
So far all I can find is at A & M he ran a 4-3 under. Also had back to back #1 defenses at Florida. I'd provide the link but I don't know how.

I would think this helps to at least patch part of the hole left by the loss of Coach Elliot. Obviously that void will not ever be completely filled as by all accounts he was an amazing person as well as possessing a great football mind. A great big WELCOME to Coach Darnell!

When I see consistent Blackshirt play again I may drop to my knees and squeal like a little girl on Christmas morning.

I would think this helps to at least patch part of the hole left by the loss of Coach Elliot. Obviously that void will not ever be completely filled as by all accounts he was an amazing person as well as possessing a great football mind. A great big WELCOME to Coach Darnell!

When I see consistent Blackshirt play again I may drop to my knees and squeal like a little girl on Christmas morning.

Agreed!

Love the "Californians" avatar!

Last edited:

really like. a couple three good ideas could pay big dividends in game plans each week

FYI

Good move in my opinion.

Former Western Michigan head coach and Texas defensive coordinator Gary Darnell has joined the Husker staff as a defensive consultant.

Nebraska defensive coordinator Bob Diaco worked under Darnell at Western Michigan in 2004 as a linebackers coach. Darnell served as head coach at Western Michigan from 1997-2004, before moving on to Texas A&M for 2006 and 2007. Darnell also coached at Texas, Florida, Kansas State and several other stops during his coaching career.

Was the deal with Diaco, you cant replace anyone on staff but you can bring in consultants? Also what's the rule for consultants on the sideline? I'd assume that's a no but I recall Jamrog on the sidelines with Pelini and he wasn't technically a coach so?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back