• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pro Cricket is coming to America

FLAinCALI

Amazingly Humble
10 Year Member
Does anyone here understand Cricket? I can see it being a draw for immigrant populations.

Jay Pandya is the chairman of Global Sports Ventures, a sports development company with a lofty goal: Help make Americans fall in love with cricket. New sports have attempted to get a foothold in America in the past, but the announcement of a $2.4 billion investment and the creation of 17,000 new jobs makes cricket the biggest new-sport initiative since the launch of Major League Soccer.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/1/14725986/jay-pandya-interview-cricket-usa-2-billion-investment

My mother was English and I lived in England for I years as a kid thus watching and even playing the game a bit

It's already played a bit here as they had a rec league when I lived in the Salt Lake area.

Best analogy for me is its bit like Chess thus a game that will have some interest in the USA but do too the length etc I don't see making huge in roads in America.

I like the game and the strategy etc but I could understand those that would not

With that being said soccer is the #1 sport in the world and engulfs cricket in England and grown in leaps n bounds in the USA

Last edited:
I actually love cricket. I got curious when ESPN3 started carrying it a few years back and dug in to study the rules. Sort of a second cousin of baseball...you need LOTS of patience to sit through even the "short" form of the game, and the traditional multi-day matches must have been designed for people with independent incomes to follow. Regardless it's got as much strategy and stats behind it as baseball. In the USA, though, it'll probably be mostly South Asian immigrants that jump in...can't see it getting any traction whatsoever for many years. It'll probably sit down near lacrosse in the hierarchy of niche sports.

I've never seen it live, let alone played it. It could be interesting to watch, sort of like women's NBA, it's interesting, but I can't take it seriously.

I still have my own cricket bat that I got as a 12 year old.

I love the sport because I played and understand it.

I actually love cricket. I got curious when ESPN3 started carrying it a few years back and dug in to study the rules. Sort of a second cousin of baseball...you need LOTS of patience to sit through even the "short" form of the game, and the traditional multi-day matches must have been designed for people with independent incomes to follow. Regardless it's got as much strategy and stats behind it as baseball. In the USA, though, it'll probably be mostly South Asian immigrants that jump in...can't see it getting any traction whatsoever for many years. It'll probably sit down near lacrosse in the hierarchy of niche sports.

Rounders which they play in grammer school is much like baseball. Cricket a little bit.

I agree a lot of strategy.

My mom when she was mad at us used to tell us she was going to knock us for six. :Biggrin:

I agree that it will never really take off in the United States, but I played the game several times with some Nepalese and Indian immigrants. I've played easily over a thousand baseball and softball games so I probably have okay hand/eye coordination. It was super hard to hit, at least really far anyway. I squared a few up though and that was fun.

The only thing I like about cricket is that it gave us the phrase, "At the close of play." :Thumbsup:

You can't watch cricket without doing this...

OkOhFBO.gif

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back