• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rib Challenge

68hskr

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
Guys, I need your help. I have answered a challenge from my wife. She thinks she can smoke better ribs then me. She is using a Treager grill. I am using an electric smoker. I need ideas on marinating, rub and wood to smoke with. I am leaning toward a KC barbeque sauce to finish them with. We will be doing both dry and wet ribs. Any and all help is appreciated.

Guys, I need your help. I have answered a challenge from my wife. She thinks she can smoke better ribs then me. She is using a Treager grill. I am using an electric smoker. I need ideas on marinating, rub and wood to smoke with. I am leaning toward a KC barbeque sauce to finish them with. We will be doing both dry and wet ribs. Any and all help is appreciated.
Heat? If you like it, add some Cayenne pepper(light dusting) or, if you can find it, Kinder's Extra Hot BBQ Sauce. A dry rub I like to use, salt(small amount), cracked black pepper(a nice amount), white pepper(light dusting), garlic(either fresh chopped or in a garlic salt form, although, for a dry rub dry works better for me)and don't be afraid to go a little heavy on the garlic salt.

Last edited:
Oh, I almost forgot, here's to her, kicking your
images
:Cheers:

Last edited:

1. Make your own BBQ sauce.
2. Lay down some squeezable butter when you wrap them
3. And most important, buy better quality ribs than your wife.
4. All the other factors are completely dependent how you like your ribs. I like mine to fall off the bone. So does my wife, so I make them that way. But that's a no-no for most people. We don't like a ton of BBQ sauce on ours, so I only put a minimal about in the foil and then paint a little more on when out of the foil during the last hour. We use a combination of apple, hickory and cherry. Again, depends how much smoke you like and how much bite you want out of it. Same with the rub....all about taste and texture there.

I have never found a better way than the tried and true 3-2-1 method or something very similar.

Last edited:
1. Make your own BBQ sauce.
2. Lay down some squeezable butter when you wrap them
3. And most important, buy better quality ribs than your wife.
4. All the other factors are completely dependent how you like your ribs. I like mine to fall off the bone. So does my wife, so I make them that way. But that's a no-no for most people. We don't like a ton of BBQ sauce on ours, so I only put a minimal about in the foil and then paint a little more on when out of the foil during the last hour. We use a combination of apple, hickory and cherry. Again, depends how much smoke you like and how much bite you want out of it. Same with the rub....all about taste and texture there.

I have never found a better way than the tried and true 3-2-1 method or something very similar.
I appreciate all the suggestions. I also do a 3-2-1 method.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I also do a 3-2-1 method.

I posted a recipe in the other thread on ribs that you might check out. When you place the ribs in the smoker push together the ribs from end to end. the tighter the ribs the better as they will plump up. also you a tooth pick to check when they are done. the tooth pick should go thru like softened butter.

You're probably going to lose. All else being equal, BBQ just tastes better when there's a real fire.
You may be right, but both grills are technically electric. My difference will come from the rub, the wood(apple and cherry mix) and the sauce.

Actually, someone changed the group from 12 people to over 30 people. The day before. We scrambled to cook 10 racks of ribs. The marinate for all was the same. Brown sugar the night before. Wrapped in plastic wrap. We used the same rub. Three different kinds of BBQ sauce. Kansas City classic, Carolina tangy, and a homemade version. All the Carolina tangy ( mustard based, but sweet) went early, but most liked the Kansas City classic. The pure electric smoker seemed to do the best job with tenderness but still keeping them together. The Treager seemed to make them fall apart more. I still like the pure electric smoker.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back