• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chris Cornell dead

Yeah, the fact he could maintain that grit and control was something.

Between Kim Thayil's drop D riffing and Cornell's voice, Soundgarden was a pre-game/workout staple. They got the adrenaline surging.

Actually so was Audioslave....

I always thought Cochise would be a killer tunnel walk song if Nebraska would ever retire Sirius.

As good as Cornell's voice was, the Thayill riffs were what I liked best about Soundgarden. He was one of the guys who really put drop tunings on the map.

I accidently quoted the wrong post so it came out wrong. Saw Smashing Pumpkins at the Ranch Bowl. Never got to see Soundgarden.
that would also be a good show. What album were they touring?

As far as pure voice, I'd go with Freddie or Jeff Buckley but Cornell is in the conversation.
I saw something a while ago, and I'm too lazy to look it up now, that supposedly measured rock singers ranges accurately. Freddy was up there. Mike Patton was up there. And the one that surprised me was axl rose was really high up the list.

I'm by no means a musical whiz, but wasn't Black Sabbath one of the first to do that.
They did the D and C# standard thing where you tune all the strings down the same number of steps. Drop tuning involves tuning your low E a whole step down in relation to the rest of the strings. There have been plenty of folks who have used drop tuning through the years (Neil Young, Jimmy Page, etc) but Thayill and Morello used it almost exclusively and really pioneered the chugging rhythms.

Last edited:
They did the D and C# standard thing where you tune all the strings down the same number of steps. Drop tuning involves tuning your low E a whole step down in relation to the rest of the strings. There have been plenty of folks who have used drop tuning through the years (Neil Young, Jimmy Page, etc) but Thayill and Morello used it almost exclusively and really pioneered the chugging rhythms.
The cool thing about drop D, especially for a teenage grunge fan trying to learn guitar in the '90s, is that you can play root/5 power chords with one finger (that and the Page Moby Dick riff). The cool thing about C# standard (Iommi tuning) is that riffs sound heavy as hell and string bending is way easier.

Last edited:
Drop d tuning provided hours of entertainment to the teenage me. Playing one finger riffs like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bummer for sure. I had business in a town quite a distance from where I live, and on the way back, a local station was playing a tribute to Chris, including playing comments that he had made on some recorded show about this song, or that band mate or some tour. The first thing that went through my mind was, "Oh crap!" Chris is dead. Reading through these posts, I had no idea it was suicide, that really sucks. The last time I found out about an artist I liked, was SRV when he died. A local radio station from Tulsa played some 5 tunes in a row and at the end, the DJ said something like, "This is a tribute to the late, great, Stevie Ray Vaughan." Shocking indeed.

RIP Chris Cornell.

The cool thing about drop D, especially for a teenage grunge fan trying to learn guitar in the '90s, is that you can play root/5 power chords with one finger (that and the Page Moby Dick riff). The cool thing about C# standard (Iommi tuning) is that riffs sound heavy as hell and string bending is way easier.

Good stuff right there. Thanks!

I've been sitting here tonight trying to figure out why this has affected me so much. I never knew Chris Cornell and its been years since I've seen Soundgarden live. I think its a few things. 1) He always seemed like the most well adjusted rock star from that era, and him dying this young when he had so much music left sucks. 2) A decade of great memories with great friends is directly tied to his music, and that makes happy and sad. 3) This is a horrible reminder of mortality and how old I'm getting. Lollapalooza seems like yesterday, but yesterday was 25 years ago.

I've been sitting here tonight trying to figure out why this has affected me so much. I never knew Chris Cornell and its been years since I've seen Soundgarden live. I think its a few things. 1) He always seemed like the most well adjusted rock star from that era, and him dying this young when he had so much music left sucks. 2) A decade of great memories with great friends is directly tied to his music, and that makes happy and sad. 3) This is a horrible reminder of mortality and how old I'm getting. Lollapalooza seems like yesterday, but yesterday was 25 years ago.

I didn't know much about him or read/see a lot of interviews or anything so maybe I'm wrong but, yeah, he seemed to smile a lot and give off a happy vibe.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back