• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2017 Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

ColoREDo

REDo posts matter!!!
10 Year Member
Playoffs started tonight and the Rangers win on the road 2-0. I don't give my Rangers much shot this year because of their poor defense and a very average season by Lundqvist but magically in game 1 the defense was very solid and the King was fantastic. This is how they will have to play to win games. I am not going to count on this lasting but tonight was fun to watch. They easily could have had two more goals.

Last edited:
Penguins the only home team in the five games tonight to win.

Pittsburgh is my pick, only because I blindly follow my favorite teams and ignore all complete reason why they won't. I had a function for my daughter last night and started watching in the 3rd period. They said Fleury made a save and I had to rewind and listen again. Finally heard them say Murray was hurt in warm up. How does one get hurt in warm up? I know it happens but dang. Malkin back helps, he should be fresh.

Pittsburgh is my pick, only because I blindly follow my favorite teams and ignore all complete reason why they won't. I had a function for my daughter last night and started watching in the 3rd period. They said Fleury made a save and I had to rewind and listen again. Finally heard them say Murray was hurt in warm up. How does one get hurt in warm up? I know it happens but dang. Malkin back helps, he should be fresh.
Pittsburgh is the one team I know the Rangers can't beat. The Pens have owned the Rangers this year when it has counted.

An interesting first night. Pens looked good after the 1st period, but CBus may give them all they can handle with their heavy play in a series. Glad to see the Rangers beat the Habs. Blues game didn't surprise me. B's Sens.....meh. Oil vs Beards didn't disappoint. I love the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

An interesting first night. Pens looked good after the 1st period, but CBus may give them all they can handle with their heavy play in a series. Glad to see the Rangers beat the Habs. Blues game didn't surprise me. B's Sens.....meh. Oil vs Beards didn't disappoint. I love the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Gotta admit. It's odd having a playoffs without the Red Wings in it.:Bananalazy:

The Rangers played one of their better games of the season. I think depth and as good a four lines as any team has give them a chance to go deep in the playoffs

As usual I had Center Ice again this year thus was able to watch nearly every Ranger game.

Team had some ups n downs in the season but when they are on their game they are hard to beat.

Lundquist is a big game/series player so I am optimistic in him having a good run.

Hopeful as ever that maybe they can go all the way this season. We shall see.

Last edited:

Not having Letang is going to hurt Pittsburgh in the long run. Puck mover extraordinaire. Injuries are going to hurt them eventually too. They have some big time fire power with Crosby, Malkin and Kessel but depth is going to be an issue too

Have always loved Detroit. I actually think the play off run ending at this point in time maybe the best thing that happened to them for all the obvious reasons. Let the rebuild begin.

Watching the Predators v. Blackhawks game, and with my somewhat small knowledge of Hockey, I would say that the Blackhawks looks like the better team, although it's still really early on and they trail 1 - 0 to Nashville.

Some one with more hockey knowledge please explain a couple of things to me. Just finished the Nashville v Blackhawks game and on several different occasions, the Blackhawks had the puck and would skate backwards towards their own goal, even when they had Nashville down a man in the penalty box, which brings me to my second thing. Why, with Nashville down a man, would they not attack the goal, but the backed off at least :45 seconds to 1 full minute in the 3rd period and unless I am mistaken, they only goat one shot on goal at that time. I've never played the game, so I can't figure that strategy out.

Some one with more hockey knowledge please explain a couple of things to me. Just finished the Nashville v Blackhawks game and on several different occasions, the Blackhawks had the puck and would skate backwards towards their own goal, even when they had Nashville down a man in the penalty box, which brings me to my second thing. Why, with Nashville down a man, would they not attack the goal, but the backed off at least :45 seconds to 1 full minute in the 3rd period and unless I am mistaken, they only goat one shot on goal at that time. I've never played the game, so I can't figure that strategy out.
Pretty sure you saw that wrong. When you are a man up(on the power play) you attack the offensive zone. Teams do take it back behind the goal to set up their offense but only when the other team sends the puck down the ice since they don't have to worry about icing when they are down a man.

Pretty sure you saw that wrong. When you are a man up(on the power play) you attack the offensive zone. Teams do take it back behind the goal to set up their offense but only when the other team sends the puck down the ice since they don't have to worry about icing when they are down a man.
I know what you're saying, but Chicago had the puck for most of that 2 minutes, and they weren't chasing it behind their goal, also, they only took the one shot on goal. I thought they were the better team overall, but alas, they didn't win.

I know what you're saying, but Chicago had the puck for most of that 2 minutes, and they weren't chasing it behind their goal, also, they only took the one shot on goal. I thought they were the better team overall, but alas, they didn't win.
I have seen power plays where the other team has more shots than the team with the power play. But even with a one goal lead, no team is going to 'sit on the puck' on a power play. They are going to try and capitalize on their advantage. Chicago was a goal down so I know they would want to attack as much as possible.

And Chicago is the better team but this is the NHL playoffs. Most series are a dogfight.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back