• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Perception Isn't Always Reality

I remember that game. That game was about UCLA going into another gear in the 2nd half. IMO, it was about UCLA being too good for us, not about us giving up.
I remember it as well and once they went up you could just see the life sucked out of the team

Not "soft," just more laid back and low key than other teams in the conference for the last two seasons.

So, are Riley's team Charmin soft, or is he gonna pull out a can of Mr. Ass Whipple now that he has some horses?

P.S. You young folks probably won't get the inside joke here.

Last edited:
Bo's team were not soft. However they did mail it in against WI for some reason. The refusal to make any adjustment, in game, was most of the issue in the beat down's year after year.

Riley's team practiced laid back because of depth in 2015. With the changeover and attrition we couldn't afford to get hurt in practice. Once again in the Iowa game the team mailed it in, I was there live and probably the most frustrating, embarrassing game I have ever attended as a fan. Riley's issues have been late clock management in 2015 causing three unnecessary losses and poor decisions against Purdue, passing into the wind with a backup QB. That's not soft, just poor coaching choices.

I am hoping with his guys now in place and a kick butt DC we exert our will on other teams as in the past again.

I agree Bo's teams weren't soft. They were just mentally fragile from the way he ran his program. Once things started to go south in a game panic and fear would set in, but I never got the feeling they weren't trying.

I agree Bo's teams weren't soft. They were just mentally fragile from the way he ran his program. Once things started to go south in a game panic and fear would set in, but I never got the feeling they weren't trying.
You do realize that the highlighted is kind of the definition of soft. Meaning as soon as things get tough they fold. That is what soft is.

Soft, hard, shmard. You cannot win consistently against good opponents with our kind of QBing, not any more. Defense throws in it when QB mistakes happen over and over. As for quitting, think TT, Wis Gordon game, 70-31 Wis game, etc. Ugh. Those weren't Riley, and they were absolutely the worst (other than maybe the Colorado game when we then played Miami and stunk up the place two games in a row). As for the Iowa and Purdue games, someone that didn't like what happened must explain what a coach was to do about the absence of a real QB. Yell? Yeah, that really works (Wisconsin -- there goes Gordon!).

I played college b-ball, and sometimes you just don't have it, and it's not a question of hard and soft. It really isn't. I believe in effort, and sometimes it just isn't there when the offense deflates you time and again.

Last year I thought UNL looked mentally tough against Oregon, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Minnesota, but no so versus tOSU, Iowa, and Tennessee. It was kind of a mixed bag. The toughness was not consistent.

What is the common factor in the 3 not so mentally tough games? It seems pretty simple to explain why we didn't play those with the heart one would hope, but not having the key player either on the field at all, or in a position to play close to his potential because of injury can suck the life out of a squad, especially when they don't have faith in the guy backing him up.

I'd hope to see better mental toughness going forward, but I'd also hope to have enough depth to have backups who teammates have some confidence in.

Really? 38 straight better? That's called mailing it in.

Yep, UCLA got on a roll and we were not going to stop them no matter how hard we tried. Their QB played lights out. I give UCLA full credit for that one. They played a great game.

So which one is it? Are Riley's teams really soft or is it just a byproduct of being the Purdue of the Pac-12 from a talent perspective? Sure, the easy answer is it's a little bit of both, but many seem to be certain that his teams are soft and others are dead certain it's just a talent issue. Sling away...

The poor guy is snake bit. He really hasn't had much talent to work with over his entire career. As a result, he's had to handle the little bit of talent he's had with kid gloves. He doesn't want to alienate those few talented players and end up with a team full of scrubs.

Yep, UCLA got on a roll and we were not going to stop them no matter how hard we tried. Their QB played lights out. I give UCLA full credit for that one. They played a great game.

They were not 38 straight points better, not even close. That was quitting at it's finest. Back in the day when we were rolling over teams by 5 or 6 touchdowns, do we really believe they were scrapping to the end like they had in the first quarter of games? Hardly. Nice of you to be positive toward UCLA, but a 10-3, 6-3 team in the Pac 10 wasn't some incredible juggernaut.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back