• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thread '16-'17

Tough game, ran into a buzzsaw. Villy was taking home the title and nobody was stopping them. Probably played their best overall game of the year...

I'm taking the boy down to the selection show today, should be good time. He wants Pattton's autograph, lol

You still see these match-ups created, regardless of level of program. Note 3 years ago Creighton and Nebraska were one NU win away from facing Creighton in the round of 32

I did. "just a little kid from Omaha"

I think this video is a look into the mindset of JP: Right now he is having too much fun to leave. He's ballin' with his best friend in front of all his friends and family and 18,000 admirers.

The NBA is a job, a very serious one at that. In the end I think he decides the millions can wait and he comes back, and takes out a hefty insurance policy in case he gets hurt...

I just hope he realizes that this will probably be the most fun he has playing bball for at least the next several years. The D League would not be any fun whatsoever.

I don't think CU could have asked for more than what they got. 6 seed is pretty generous IMO.

As for the match up...I don't know much about URI although I did win some money on them today. But I didn't pay much attention to the game. Wish I would have now. Apparently they've been banged up all year but healthy and playing well now. Supposedly athletic guards. Not overly tall across the board. Best wins are Cincy and VCU a couple times. A few bad losses. RPI of 37. All in all I am not too upset with the match up. You're going to play a team with players unless you're a 1 or 2 seed. So be it.

I do like the potential Oregon match up. They are wounded without Boucher and it's not like the have a month to adjust. But obviously CU would be an underdog in that game and I'd put it at less than 40% for sure.

Just realized I didn't really assess the Nova game.

Without Mo, Nova is simply too much for CU. With him that game in Omaha was there for the taking until very late in the game. Nova is the #1 overall for a reason.

I'm really kind of pissed at Mac right now. The management of the PG spot has been a big fail all year. And did anyone see Ronnie Harrell last night? The guy ALWAYS plays with a lot of energy. Athletic as hell. Crashes the boards. The big knock on him...per Mac is practice and defense. Guess what...Iz and Clement may KNOW their assignments but can't execute them so what's the difference. Ronnie has PG skills at 6'8". There is value in that. He's the main reason CU didn't get pasted by 30 last night.

That said I was please that it DIDN'T get to be a total blow out. The jays just didn't have it last night. They were going to have to play a near perfect game. And basically nobody outside of Ronnie played worth a damn. They needed to hit probably 12 3s...didn't come close and had the looks. Such is life. Nova didn't exactly play great. Not a great % from the field or from 3. But Josh Hart made sure any big ideas early...he awesome. 29 points.

Nova will be my second favorite team now. Really like them and their coach. Just really nothing to dislike about any of them...class program.

Gotta say that CU lucked out with their draw. Granted they won 2 games in the Big East tournment but they seemed like they were more of a 7-8 seed. Rhode Island seems winnable as well as a banged up Oregon team. Even Michigan/Louisville winner isn't anything great. I could honestly see them losing against RI or making the sweet 16. If they're hitting 3's and Foster and Patton have their heads in the game they are a hell of a team to beat; on the other hand they can look like a JV squad sometimes.

"JV squad" is a little harsh. ;) Although Tyler Clement fits the bill!

To beat URI I don't think CU will have to play over their heads. But they need to play close to their ceiling. They can't go out and hit 4 of 20 3s and turn it over 17 times.

If they get by them they will have to play really well to beat Oregon...as you should to beat a 3 seed.

Thought I saw they were a 3 point favorite of RI which sounds about right. Would imagine they'd be a 6 or 7 point dog to Oregon.

They're definately going to have to get some decent pg play by someone...preferably not Zierden or Clement. Feel bad for Harrell; guy has some great energy and spark but for whatever reason seems to be in McDermotts doghouse. Unless McDermott can figure out a decent lineup that doesn't rely on a whole lot of Zierden, Hegner or Clement then they might do some damage; otherwise I could see them squeeking by RI and getting blown out by Oregon.

CU favored by 1...so basically a pick 'em game. Honestly, if I was being objective when I fill out my brackets I'd probably take URI. They've won 8 straight with a good VCU being in that streak twice. They are definitely feeling good about themselves. CU on the other hand is 7-8 without Mo and really pretty mediocre since then. The upside for CU is they beat two tourney teams in NYC so, despite the Nova game, they should also have a little confidence boost heading into the game.

Wouldn't surprise me if URI ends up favored by 1. They are going to be a "sexy" pick.

If somehow CU can catch lightning in a bottle next weekend they would play in K.C. With Kansas also being there that would end up being a very hot ticket.

Well, one way or another CU got a win this week. Got a commit from a 4* Center today. Jacob Epperson. 6'11 twig. Hopefully Justin sticks around another year so this kid can redshirt eat a lot of protein shakes.

That's 3 4* commits so far with a 5* still on the hook. Worth noting that Epperson is a teammate of Tugs Bowen at La Lumiere...I think it's one of those schools that draws kids from all over so it's not necessarily like they are BFFs.

Creighton's A game is better than URI's A game. If they play like they did in 2nd half of the Providence and X games in NYC they will win. Period. Play like the first half of those games...they lose.

Patton needs to stay out of early foul trouble. Same with Foster and Thomas. Need to not be forced to play Clement at point. That means Mintz has to play decent. Maybe even some Harrell at PG. Need to rebound well on defensive glass. Do those things and CU will win. If Zierden/Clement play half the game at point they will lose. And for the love of god....no Clement, Zierden and Hegner on the court at the same time. Please!

I hate saying this after the fact but I seriously told multiple people and meant to put it in that post...CU simply could NOT afford for Foster to have a 6-15 type game. He's their best scorer and he had to have a good game. If you told me before the game he was going to go 6-19/1-7 I would have put a lot of money on URI.

Mercifully, this season is over. Absolutely amazing 18-1 start. Just a heartbreaking and, ultimately, life ruining injury for Watson personally and season wrecking injury for CU. Such highs and lows in one season. This team, with Mo, was a threat to do major damage. He was that good. And he made everyone...EVERYONE so much better. He single handedly made Patton a few million dollars if he leaves now. If we weren't sure how good he was we are now.

The future is bright but I hate "next season". Patton should come back. Foster, as much as I don't like him, will be back. Thomas is a flat out stud and will be back. That's a good core. Hopefully either Mintz or the former 4* transfer from 'cuse can be a factor at the point. two of the 3 frosh should be ready to go out of the gate. Fortunately, Hegner will be the last MVC holdover. Mac simply can't be trusted to NOT lean on those guys.

Two things we need to know soon (well...want to know). Will Patton stay? And will Tugs Bowen say "YES"?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back