• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What are you reading?

cactusboy

Husker Fan
10 Year Member
Just bought a bunch of books and this is the one I'm starting with. I've read about 5 pages of the intro and already love it.

Genghis-Khan-and-the-Making-of-the-Modern-World.jpg

Overview

The Mongol army led by Genghis Khan subjugated more lands and people in twenty-five years than the Romans did in four hundred. In nearly every country the Mongols conquered, they brought an unprecedented rise in cultural communication, expanded trade, and a blossoming of civilization. Vastly more progressive than his European or Asian counterparts, Genghis Khan abolished torture, granted universal religious freedom, and smashed feudal systems of aristocratic privilege. From the story of his rise through the tribal culture to the explosion of civilization that the Mongol Empire unleashed, this brilliant work of revisionist history is nothing less than the epic story of how the modern world was made.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gen...d-jack-weatherford/1100618220#productInfoTabs

Just bought a bunch of books and this is the one I'm starting with. I've read about 5 pages of the intro and already love it.

Genghis-Khan-and-the-Making-of-the-Modern-World.jpg

Overview

The Mongol army led by Genghis Khan subjugated more lands and people in twenty-five years than the Romans did in four hundred. In nearly every country the Mongols conquered, they brought an unprecedented rise in cultural communication, expanded trade, and a blossoming of civilization. Vastly more progressive than his European or Asian counterparts, Genghis Khan abolished torture, granted universal religious freedom, and smashed feudal systems of aristocratic privilege. From the story of his rise through the tribal culture to the explosion of civilization that the Mongol Empire unleashed, this brilliant work of revisionist history is nothing less than the epic story of how the modern world was made.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gen...d-jack-weatherford/1100618220#productInfoTabs
I've read that one. It's an incredible book for something that you would expect to be dry reading. It was most surprising for me that his empire was so accepting of multiple religions and peoples.

Just started this one:

51pZtiZBhHL.jpg

Here is the kaleidoscopic story of the quintessential, but mostly ignored, American murder—a “ghettoside” killing, one young black man slaying another—and a brilliant and driven cadre of detectives whose creed is to pursue justice for forgotten victims at all costs. Ghettoside is a fast-paced narrative of a devastating crime, an intimate portrait of detectives and a community bonded in tragedy, and a surprising new lens into the great subject of why murder happens in our cities—and how the epidemic of killings might yet be stopped.

51iDDUcomYL._AA300_.jpg
Just Finished
51CYdr82XvL._SY346_.jpg
Drops March 7th
C2qD_UlW8AAX4Tw.png
Currently in the middle of, should be done by March 7th!

After these..... Expeditionary Force Book 3 will drop by April I think. So that one for sure if book 2 is as good as book one. But after that, I have a list of about 75 right now, but new books in series I like keep coming out. So not real sure which ones are next after those......

This one will be one of the next ones for sure....
29939035._UY400_SS400_.jpg

Just started this one:

51pZtiZBhHL.jpg

Here is the kaleidoscopic story of the quintessential, but mostly ignored, American murder—a “ghettoside” killing, one young black man slaying another—and a brilliant and driven cadre of detectives whose creed is to pursue justice for forgotten victims at all costs. Ghettoside is a fast-paced narrative of a devastating crime, an intimate portrait of detectives and a community bonded in tragedy, and a surprising new lens into the great subject of why murder happens in our cities—and how the epidemic of killings might yet be stopped.
Can I recommend "Another Day In the Death of America" by Gary Younge. I just finished it and it was difficult to read because of the content but will stick with me for a long time. Author choose an average day November 23, 2013, and tells the the stories of the ten children and teens who were shot and killed on that day. That's all I'll say besides expect some tears if you do read it

Last edited:
I'm reading Canada by Richard Ford. Just a fiction story by a great living American stroryteller

Last edited:

Can I recommend "Another Day In the Death of America" by Gary Younge. I just finished it and it was hard to read but will stick with me for a long time. Author choose an average day November 23, 2013, and tells the the stories of the ten children and teens who were shot and killed on that day. That's all I'll say besides expect some tears if you do read it
That does sound as if it would stick with you. I'll check it out, thanks.

51swA%2BR7AQL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1862… the South wins the Civil War… America splits into two separate nations... 1942... Hitler wins World War II... the world powers as we knew them, are no more… 2019….the Nazis are worse than ever and out to conquer what’s left of the planet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back