• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bacon grease and steak?

FLAinCALI

Amazingly Humble
10 Year Member
As I have said earlier I save my fat trimmings and use them to control flame ups while grilling meat. I also save my bacon grease to use while cooking (like pan frying pork chops).

I don't put fat on my steaks when I am grilling. I know some people will use butter or olive oil but I was thinking hey I have bacon grease. I wonder what that would do.

Anyone ever use bacon grease as an extra fat on their steaks when grilling?

(When I make hamburger I usually use 2/3 lean ground beef (80%) and 1/3 ground pork. I've thought about adding chopped up bacon but can't decide cooked or uncooked...I am leaning cooked but not well done)

As I have said earlier I save my fat trimmings and use them to control flame ups while grilling meat. I also save my bacon grease to use while cooking (like pan frying pork chops).

I don't put fat on my steaks when I am grilling. I know some people will use butter or olive oil but I was thinking hey I have bacon grease. I wonder what that would do.

Anyone ever use bacon grease as an extra fat on their steaks when grilling? You might try and use some of the bacon fat if refrigerated and in a solid form to insert it inside the burger as a pocket filler much as you would stuff a burger with cheese.

(When I make hamburger I usually use 2/3 lean ground beef (80%) and 1/3 ground pork. I've thought about adding chopped up bacon but can't decide cooked or uncooked...I am leaning cooked but not well done)

I would think it would depend on how well done you cook your burgers. I would lean to cooked for that reason.

Last edited:
I would think it would depend on how well done you cook your burgers. I would lean to cooked for that reason.

I had a friend that wrapped his burger paddies with a strip of bacon. That worked pretty well. I want to infuse the meat with a little smokie bacon flavor.

I had a friend that wrapped his burger paddies with a strip of bacon. That worked pretty well. I want to infuse the meat with a little smokie bacon flavor.

do you have a smoker? if so smoke some bacon, catch the bacon grease for later use and chop the smoked bacon to mix with your burger.

Here is a question I asked before, but I don't recall getting an answer. How long will bacon grease stay good in the fridge? A month, 6 months, a year?

I have yet to perfect the bacon in the burger thing. If anyone does, please let us know.

As for bacon fat on a steak? Blasphemy.

People like the ground pork mix. Isn't bacon...I wonder if i ground par cooked bacon in with my ground beef. Hmmmm.

I am not sure about the bacon fat on the steak. I just want to give it a try and see if it does anything. I usually just salt and pepper my steak. Let the meat talk. Not a butter or olive oil guy either. Just thought bacon fat might be a flavoriful alternative.

People like the ground pork mix. Isn't bacon...I wonder if i ground par cooked bacon in with my ground beef. Hmmmm.

I am not sure about the bacon fat on the steak. I just want to give it a try and see if it does anything. I usually just salt and pepper my steak. Let the meat talk. Not a butter or olive oil guy either. Just thought bacon fat might be a flavoriful alternative.

Absolutely, I use a 50/50 mix of pork and beef for my burgers. I have always wanted to incorporate bacon but it just comes out chewy, every time.

I'm with you on the steak, little salt and a little pepper.

Just knock the horns off of it, wipe it's nasty ass and throw it on the plate.

Bacon grease on a steak is a sin. I use Lawry's, and garlic granules with pepper added when off the grill. Pepper burns easily and i found that adding it later actually improves the steak.
also for my burgers i have a grinder and use chuck or chuck and short ribs.

Bacon grease on a steak is a sin. I use Lawry's, and garlic granules with pepper added when off the grill. Pepper burns easily and i found that adding it later actually improves the steak.
also for my burgers i have a grinder and use chuck or chuck and short ribs.

Lowry's on a steak is a sin ;)

I season my steak 30+ minutes prior to grilling. Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. As the steak warms to room temp it draws in the flavors. Never had a problem with the pepper burning. Same process for pork chops.

The only reason I brought up bacon grease is because others use fats like butter and olive oil. Just wondering if others had used bacon as a fat source like that.

Burgers are all about the mix of meat and fat. Good meats and good fact at the right proportions make stellar burgers.

I season my steak 30+ minutes prior to grilling. Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. As the steak warms to room temp it draws in the flavors. Never had a problem with the pepper burning. Same process for pork chops.

The only reason I brought up bacon grease is because others use fats like butter and olive oil. Just wondering if others had used bacon as a fat source like that.

Burgers are all about the mix of meat and fat. Good meats and good fact at the right proportions make stellar burgers.
Nothing like good meats and good fact......:Biggrin::Lol:

Salt and pepper them a day in advance and leave in the fridge. You'll get an amazing crust on the outside when you cook.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back