• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker's Thoughts on Firing

You were brought up in a fashion wherein you are only able to conduct honest discourse when you are face to face?
I've been terminated over the phone, and frankly it was far better than flying 5+ hours from Tahoe to the east coast just to get my walking papers. Having Banker pulled off the road wasn't going to make it easier and having him keep his scheduled visit and then terminate when he got back would have been embarrassing for Banker, the school and likely screwed any shot at the recruit.

Don't buy that for a second. This is a guy that's been a friend and loyal employee for 20+ years. Riley could of jumped on one the private planes and met him in Denver. This wasn't Riley's sole call, he's got more class than that (I think). Diaco hired two days later? This screams of a lot of activity going on behind the scenes and the word quickly coming down of a change.
Oh yes, it's all Shawn' s fault! That's so funny!

I'm sure Eichorst had Riley evaluate his coaches, and tell his boss, the AD, what his plans were to improve the deficiencies, but the notion Riley sits cowering to the whim of SE is laughable.

You were brought up in a fashion wherein you are only able to conduct honest discourse when you are face to face?
What are you talking about? I conduct myself with honest discourse, period. I was brought up to treat people with integrity, honesty and respect. I find it astonishing that you even ask such a question? And, I am being honest, here.

Last edited:
From my perspective there's nothing wrong with firing a staff member over the phone when the good of the business rides in the balance, friendship or not. How do we know that Riley didn't tell Banker over the phone that he wished he could have done this in person, but seeing how Banker was on vacation and wasn't due back in Lincoln for days, it just wasn't in the cards. Banker has been in coaching long enough to know how decisions oftentimes come down the pipe at a moments notice.
He's obviously just a bit butt-hurt over getting canned.

When you are running a business, the business side needs to come first. Friendships are secondary.

My gut tells me Banker had to have known he was on thin ice with no mention of his contract being renewed at the last staff meeting that he just attended. After ranking near dead last in defense a year ago, and then having your system falling flat on it's face the last few game of 2016, anyone with half a brain would have to be worrying about their future.

Banker got plenty of bonus years with Riley the way it was. His defense was horrid at OSU.

He's lucky Riley gave him a nearly one million dollar payday by bringing him to NU for 2 years in the first place.

Last edited:

What are you talking about? I conduct myself with honest discourse, period. I was brought up to treat people with integrity, honesty and respect. I find it astonishing that you even ask such a question? And, I am being honest, here.

Then why is there a difference between telephonic communication and in person communication?

Whether anyone likes the way Banker was fired, or not, its done. There's no un-doing it. Lets move on and focus on the recruiting and coaching of Diaco. I'm sure some will find new opportunities to complain. Whatever floats your boat.

I have a question.

You're Riley, you've made your decision. Banker his about to get on a plane to see a recruit. You have to stop him, because just think how embarrassing it would be to Banker to let him visit the recruit and then fire him afterwards.

You call him on the phone and tell him not to get on the plane and come back to Lincoln instead. Logic tells us Banker will ask why.

So if you're Riley, do you now lie to your friend of 20 years, or tell him the truth, no matter how hard that may be?

I'm surprised there is so much sympathy for a guy that many didn't want at NU in the first place; or, maybe it's yet another opportunity to bash Riley? Pretty sure in a perfect world Riley would have met Banker face-to-face. When things are flying around and big money is involved sometimes you have to act quickly, even if that means taking a route you'd rather not take.

Last edited:

Have you ever read your posts?

I'm surprised there is so much sympathy for a guy that many didn't want at NU in the first place; or, maybe it's just yet another opportunity to bash Riley? Pretty sure in a perfect world Riley would have met Banker face-to-face. When things are flying around and big money is involved sometimes you have to act quickly, even if that means taking a route you'd rather not take.
Exactly...the guy was more "Cosgrovian" or "Elmoesqe" than McBride.

We fired someone over the phone because that was the most efficient way to do it heading into a time where we need roughly 10 commits in 3 weeks. Hank Hughes' feelings were hurt when Riley fired him fact to face, Banker's feelings were hurt when Riley fired him over the phone, at this point anything short of flying them to Vegas and paying for a hooker to give them the news while Riley waits outside the room is going to be looked at negatively.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back