• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What's all the excitement about?

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
There is nothing Husker fans like more than being excited about their football team. Starting out 7-0 was exciting this year. The season did not end as well as it started, so we find other things to get excited about. How about recruiting? We have landed some 4-stars for 2017 and we have some 4-stars from the 2015 and 2016 classes that are ready to shine! How exciting!

But then there is that thing we have to face known as reality. Here is a 10-year summary of how our 4-star recruits have performed. How exciting is it?

The total number of 4-star recruits from 2002 through 2011 was 41.

13 of those 41 became 4-year lettermen (32%)

Only 2 of them became 1st team All Conference players (N. Suh & L. Asante) (5%)

Only 1 became an All American (N. Suh) (2%)

We have no idea how well Mike Riley can develop his 4-star recruits. Only time will tell. But based upon past Husker history, is there enough evidence that 4-star recruits are something we can get excited about?

Last edited:

There is nothing Husker fans like more than being excited about their football team. Starting out 7-0 was exciting this year. The season did not end as well as it started, so we find other things to get excited about. How about recruiting? We have landed some 4-stars for 2017 and we have some 4-stars from the 2015 and 2016 classes that are ready to shine! How exciting!

But then there is that thing we have to face known as reality. Here is a 10-year summary of how our 4-star recruits have performed. How exciting is it?

The total number of 4-star recruits from 2002 through 2011 was 41.

13 of those 41 became 4-year lettermen (32%)

Only 2 of them became 1st team All Conference players (N. Suh & L. Asante) (5%)

Only 1 became an All American (N. Suh) (2%)

We have no idea how well Mike Riley can develop his 4-star recruits. Only time will tell. But based upon past Husker history, is there enough evidence that 4-star recruits are something we can get excited about?

Last edited:
Dad gummit .You had me fooled with the first few lines. Thought you were gonna have a positive post. But you got me. Very good and informative post. Thanks.GBR!!!

Dad gummit .You had me fooled with the first few lines. Thought you were gonna have a positive post. But you got me. Very good and informative post. Thanks.GBR!!!

I did not include the 2012 and 2013 classes because the data is not in on how many received 4 letters. Other than Randy Gregory (2-year player), the 4-stars from the 2012 and 2013 classes have played for MR and none of them made All Conference or All American....but some of them may become 4-year Lettermen (TBD).

4-stars from the 2013 class include Randy Gregory, Terrell Newby, Adam Taylor, Josh Bandaras, and Johnny Stanton. From the 2012 class there was Paul Thurston, Greg McMullen, Imani Cross, Jordan Westerkamp, Michael Rose-Ivey, Tommy Armstrong, Jared Afalava, and Mohammed Seisay. Of those 15 players, we know that Westerkamp made 3-team All Big 10 under MR's tutelage...but that is as good as it gets.

We have two 4-star QBs on board with the Huskers right now. Our recent 4-star QBs include Curt Dukes (2002), Harrison Beck (2005), Zac Lee (2007), Cody Green (2009), Bubba Starling (2011), Tommy Armstrong (2012), and Johnny Stanton (2013).

We were all very excited when we recruited all of those 4-star QBs, but they did not bring the results we were hoping for. Hopefully MR's 4* QB recruits will do better.

The 3-star and walk-on players always out-number the 4-star guys. During the 10-year period I referenced, the large majority of our 4-year lettermen, All Americans, and All-Conference players were 3-stars and walk-ons.

For example, Adam Carriker was a 3* recruit in 2002. He became a 4-letterman and an All-Conference DE.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

There was a rumor going around that your membership had expired, but that obviously wasn't true...excitement abated.

Some coaches can teach lower talent to over-perform (Peterson, Patterson, Snyder, Cutcliffe, Herman, Whittingham) Some excel with top talent (Miles, Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Sweeny, Richt), while others, like Riley, coach with the level of talent, i.e. .500.

I think we had above average talent with our staters, backup's, not-so-much, which leads to how our record for this season shows. We were very good in the first third, competitive in the middle, and when injuries set in, a big drop. Much of this can be attributed to keeping some red shirts on, but that can only be to so much. Next year will be VERY telling, both in regards to first string and to their backups. We must have capable underclassmen to be able to succeed.

Some coaches can teach lower talent to over-perform (Peterson, Patterson, Snyder, Cutcliffe, Herman, Whittingham) Some excel with top talent (Miles, Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Sweeny, Richt), while others, like Riley, coach with the level of talent, i.e. .500.

I think we had above average talent with our staters, backup's, not-so-much, which leads to how our record for this season shows. We were very good in the first third, competitive in the middle, and when injuries set in, a big drop. Much of this can be attributed to keeping some red shirts on, but that can only be to so much. Next year will be VERY telling, both in regards to first string and to their backups. We must have capable underclassmen to be able to succeed.

As I said, from 2002 thru 2011 most of our All-Conference and 4-year letter winners came from the ranks of the 3* & 2* players. Odds favor that because there are many more of them. I imagine that trend will continue under MR.

From 2002 thru 2011:

1. 4-year letter winners. 13 were 4-star recruits and 52 were 3-star guys. Perhaps some walk-ons as well but I did not count them.

2. All Conference (1st team) players - 2 were 4-star guys and 20 were 3-star guys.

3. All Americans - One 4* guy (Suh) and two 3* guys (Prince Amukamara & LaVonte David).

I did not count the walk-ons but we had some who became All American (Alex Henry) and All Conference (Spencer long & Brett Maher). Walk-on Stewart Bradley went 3rd round in the NFL draft in 2003.

Last edited:
So to distill your argument, Paramus, it goes like this: You don't like Riley. You know this season ended with a thud but some people are still excited about recruiting, so you attack recruiting. You attack recruiting by saying Riley's best commits so far are 4 stars and 4 stars suck.

Seems a bit of a logical reach. It clearly implies that because some high potential players don't work out, we should recruit lower potential players. Sounds like a recipe for success to me. :Lol:

So to distill your argument, Paramus, it goes like this: You don't like Riley. You know this season ended with a thud but some people are still excited about recruiting, so you attack recruiting. You attack recruiting by saying Riley's best commits so far are 4 stars and 4 stars suck.

Seems a bit of a logical reach. It clearly implies that because some high potential players don't work out, we should recruit lower potential players. Sounds like a recipe for success to me. :Lol:

This is not about Riley. Every Husker class has 4-star recruits. Solich, Callahan, Pelini and Riley all have their fair share.

If you want to get excited about 4-star recruits, please be my guest. If you want to give others a good reason to be excited about them as well, then please have at it!

If truth threads aren't your cup of tea, then I hope you can find your Husker excitement somewhere else! There are always some Kool-Aid, future fantasy threads roaming around that you can latch onto.

Happy Hunting!

:Wave:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back