• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

BTN to become first college sports network to produce live football game in virtual reality

BTN to become first college sports network to produce live football game in virtual reality
Network offers VR experience for Minnesota at No. 19 Nebraska Saturday

CHICAGO, Ill. – Saturday, BTN will become the first college sports network to produce a live football game in virtual reality. The network has partnered with VOKE, one of the world’s leading virtual reality (VR) providers, to bring fans an immersive view of the Minnesota at No. 19 Nebraska football game. In addition to VOKE’s VR experience, the battle between the Gophers and the Huskers will be shown on BTN in primetime at 7:30 p.m. ET.

“We’re always exploring ways to integrate new technology into the Big Ten fan experience,” said Michael Calderon, BTN Vice President of Digital Media and Programming. “We see virtual reality and our partnership with VOKE as an opportunity to provide Big Ten fans a unique way to watch their favorite team from a whole new perspective.”

VOKE’s TrueVR platform will utilize four 180-degree HD cameras to bring fans onto the field and into the action no matter where they are. Augmented graphics and live audio stream will allow fans to stay informed throughout the game. Fans will be able to access the TrueVR experience by downloading VOKE’s GearVR app from the Oculus Store and using a Gear VR headset and Samsung mobile phone. The game will be available on the BTN channel within the VOKE GearVR app. There will also be "live" highlights posted in the app in near real time throughout the game, a first for a live VR broadcast. Additionally, VOKE will provide several headsets in the press box to sample the experience for media.

“We are excited to partner with the Big Ten Network to create the first-ever live VR broadcast of a football game by a collegiate sports network,” VOKE Chief Commercial Officer Jeff Jonas said. “The history, tradition and passion in the Big Ten is incredible and this partnership will introduce live VR to a rabid fan base, while allowing BTN to provide their audience with a fully immersive experience no matter where they are.”

I've always thought no way will I ever get one of those headsets. Now I might have to reconsider. But it still seems like a strange way to watch a game. Maybe if I'm watching at home alone and know exactly where my beer is ... :)

Last edited:
I've always thought no way will I ever get one of those headsets. Now I might have to reconsider. But it still seems like a strange way to watch a game. Maybe if I'm watching at home alone and know exactly where my beer is ... :)
Need to combine your Oculus Rift with a Beer Helmet and then you are set.

If I had more than two days notice, I might have jumped on this as well. Not enough time for upgrades + VR + shipping.

Where can you buy this? I looked online and couldn't find anything. I am curious the cost, setup, etc.

So, other than the head set, what other amenities does one need?
Pretty sure that the Gear-VR requires a Samsung S5 through S7 phone to power it, but I haven't done a lot of research.

Oculus Rift runs about $600 plus you need a newish video card on your desktop computer which starts around $99.

I know this is a test run for BTN to see how well this will work, but how many people out there have these devices now? It might be cool, but something in my head is telling me not to run out and buy the needed equipment to partake.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back