• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Pelini interested in the Purdue job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt Snyder fits the category, but Mangino and his 50-48 record is kind of a stretch. Herman probably won't be at Houston long enough to make an assessment.

I guess I have heard the NU didn't have talent when BP was the coach, so not sure about the bolded either. I don't know how he would do at Purdue, but resurrecting that program won't be easy. Kind of like making NU a powerhouse in basketball.

Mangina stretches most clothing, but his 50-48 record is impressive - who's the last KU coach to finish with an overall winning record at the school?? Sauer?

MM also guided KU to their best single season EVER in 2007... finishing 12-1

don't want him anywhere near my program, but jabba knows his stuff.... & is the best HC the birdies have had in decades.

Last edited:
Mangina stretches most clothing, but his 50-48 record is impressive - who's the last KU coach to finish with an overall winning record at the school?? Sauer?

MM also guided KU to their best single season EVER in 2007... finishing 12-1

don't want him anywhere near my program, but jabba knows his stuff.... & is the best HC the birdies have had in decades.

And yet he couldn't build or sustain off that 12-1 season. More lightning in a bottle I'd say. Where is he coaching now?

And yet he couldn't build or sustain off that 12-1 season. More lightning in a bottle I'd say. Where is he coaching now?

The only thing sustained regarding KU football, is futility.

7 of MM's 8 seasons in Lawrence remain better than any single season by his four successors (Weiss & Gill each had 3-9 seasons as their jayhawk pinnacle). MM's out of coaching for reasons other than performance.

Purdue has quite a QB legacy, they need a HC/OC who will embrace that tradition once again & be an innovator (like Tiller was with the Spread). I like whoever suggested Bob Stitt, the guy is an offensive genius & could make PU unique. :Sign2cents:

Last edited:

7 of MM's 8 seasons in Lawrence remain better than any single season by his four successors (Weiss & Gill each had 3-9 seasons as their jayhawk pinnacle). MM's out of coaching for reasons other than performance.

Purdue has quite a QB legacy, they need a HC/OC who will embrace that tradition once again & be an innovator (like Tiller was with the Spread). I like whoever suggested Bob Stitt, the guy is an offensive genius & could make PU unique. :Sign2cents:
One time I went to the field and could not shower for two weeks. I then had a very unique PU.

Am I crazy, or do we have some look-alike candidates?

Thread namesake:
Bo-Pelini-smiling.jpg

Cosmo Kramer:

seinfeld-kramer-02.jpg

Possibly this (no offense intended, I just thought it was uncanny); Lee Harvey Oswald:
JFKoswald5.jpg

It would seem that there are a lot of coaches who have off-field issues that still end up coaching. (Perino?) If MM were all that, he'd have found a home.

My favorite sentence in the article. I must have missed when that happened.

Are you suggesting that the his last class in Lincoln weren't any better than his first class in Lincoln?

Though he didn't set the world on fire, he and his staff got a lot of great athletes to Memorial. A great deal of them are who we are depending on current during this undefeated season.

Purdue Fan 1: "Did you hear? Bo's coming here to be the coach!"
Purdue Fan 2: "Jackson??":Banana:
Purdue Fan 1: "No, Pelini"
Purdue Fan 2: :Bananalazy:

Let's not kid ourselves. Purdue fans would love to have Pelini bring their program to the position they are only losing 4 games a year, even if they never beat Ohio St/Michigans of the world. Pelini is a good ball coach. It's his other issues that costed him the job in Lincoln.

Are you suggesting that the his last class in Lincoln weren't any better than his first class in Lincoln?

Though he didn't set the world on fire, he and his staff got a lot of great athletes to Memorial. A great deal of them are who we are depending on current during this undefeated season.
Bo got some great players he never had a great class.

It would seem that there are a lot of coaches who have off-field issues that still end up coaching. (Perino?) If MM were all that, he'd have found a home.
He's discriminated against naturally because he weighs 550 lbs. Not many want a guy that out of shape leading its athletic program. Just the truth.

Last edited:

Let's not kid ourselves. Purdue fans would love to have Pelini bring their program to the position they are only losing 4 games a year, even if they never beat Ohio St/Michigans of the world. Pelini is a good ball coach. It's his other issues that costed him the job in Lincoln.

I agree that most of Purdue would be thrilled to get Pelini.

'Good ball coach' is subjective.

Pelini didn't lose more than 4 a year, but often times those 4 losses included humiliating blow-out defeats on the biggest stages of the year while at the helm of a college blue blood program with all the resources available to him that should keep that from occurring.

The first three years losses weren't so bad, but the last four years the losses became increasingly more lopsided, while finally having all of his own recruits. In my mind, good head coaches don't lose in that manner that year after year.

I'd say Pelini has a good football mind and can be a very good position coach or coordinator, but as a head coach he only was able to beat the lesser teams yet failed to get over the hump on the big stage.
In my mind his lack of in-game adjustments and his in-game meltdowns took their toll on the players and recruiting. He oftentimes seem overwhelmed.

Not bashing him, just stating what I saw over seven year with him at the helm here. I just don't consider him a good head coach, even without the tantrums.

I agree he can be a good ball coach, just not a good top D1 head coach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back