• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Charcoal vs Gas

I do see the convenience factor, but if I don't have time to heat up my smoker or charcoal grill and do it right I'll eat something else. I haven't owned a gas grill in more than a decade, and have no plans to go back to the dark side.

I have a Char Griller double barrel with the side fire box and love it. I only use the gas side during the week when I don't have the proper amount of time to use the charcoal side.

Same grill here and same use, I love the side fire box nothing better on a football saturday then walking out the back door to the smell of apple wood and ribs. Well being in Lincoln on a Saturday is the only thing better!

I am sure we've talked about this before, but it's worth having a reminder from time to time. When I moved, I had to leave behind my trusty Weber charcoal grill. It was really, really old, but still performed like a champ. Unfortunately, we had to make room for more important things, such as the approximately 3,000 blankets my wife insists we need, or the 742,000 stuffed animals my children need. I suppose if I had more time I would have been able to find some room, but it is what it is. At least I got to keep my smokers.

As luck would have it, I found someone in the neighborhood that was looking to sell their Weber... identical to mine, just newer (no rotting wooden handles like mine had). I meant to send them a message to buy it, got distracted, and forgot about it. A few weeks later the post was bumped with a new price... $20. Seriously? Twenty bucks for a shiny, like-new Weber? Too good to be true, right?

It was for real. And it is beautiful. I made some burgers tonight over charcoal with a few chunks of hickory thrown in for good measure. Some melted pepperjack cheese and a soft bun toasted on the grill and I was in heaven.

Gas is sure nice for a quick cook, and I use that grill all the time. But there's really no beating charcoal if you have the time.
Get a loot lighter for ease. You can fire off the coals faster and with the touch of a button.

Propane for convenience, smoker for great food. I just don't enjoy the middle-ground hassle of charcoal.
I guess you have never had a kamodo with lump charcoal. After I got mine, I gave away my gas grill and haven't used gas in 3 years. There is just such a huge difference in quality and with the Looflighter, the time to get it ready has been cut way back.

Get a loot lighter for ease. You can fire off the coals faster and with the touch of a button.

I've thought about something like that, but I don't know that I care to drop $60-65 bucks on one. I usually just use a chimney starter, so no need for lighter fluid. My method is probably slower... but how much slower? Is the Looftlighter really worth it?

Propane for convenience, smoker for great food. I just don't enjoy the middle-ground hassle of charcoal.

Propane for convenience - yes
Smoker for great food - yes

But I'm not going to cook a steak or burgers on a smoker. I want those cooked hot and fast. My options for that are propane or charcoal. I typically use the propane, but there is a definite difference (for me anyway) using charcoal when I can.

Propane for convenience - yes
Smoker for great food - yes

But I'm not going to cook a steak or burgers on a smoker. I want those cooked hot and fast. My options for that are propane or charcoal. I typically use the propane, but there is a definite difference (for me anyway) using charcoal when I can.
Smoke the steak and burgers for an hour and finish in the oven! Yum!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back