• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEBRASKA vs W. CAROLINA - Doug Kingsmore Stadium @ Clemson - 6-4-2016 - 11 am Cntrl

That was a really tough post-season to watch. Frankly, i'm glad it's over.

I can't tell if we under-achieved or are just not a good baseball team. As many have pointed out, our approaches were terrible against Western Carolina, and even though they were hitting against the Big12 pitcher of the year, the approaches were awful against him as well. Are our players just not good on the fly trying to know what they are going to do? Are they handcuffed by our staff. We really aren't bringing in any bats next year either besides Acker, so I wonder what we are going to do?

2016 totals:
BA - .281
Runs - 325
HRs - 43
ERA - 3.89

2015 totals:
BA - .276
Runs - 274
HRs - 22
ERA - 3.12

2014 totals:
BA - .293
Runs - 363
HRs - 19
ERA - 3.50

I bolded our regional years, but I don't know if you can make anything from these numbers or not. I just picked out some that had been talked about this year.

Interesting stats. I will say that I prefer the .293 batting average and 363 runs in 2014 over the .281 average, 325 runs, and 43 HRs in 2016 (which was over double the 2014 total).

Last edited:

What a disappointment. Some spot-on observations from everyone here. The inability to push any runs in the first inning yesterday sadly foretold the outcome. The five DPs, seven or eight pop/foul outs, two suspect sacs and obligatory Ks made for a painful watch.

And small consolation that 15 other teams were swept out this weekend and 47 others' seasons will end as well. None could go as ignominiously as we did yesterday, except maybe Vandy.

Interesting stats. I will say that I prefer the .293 batting average and 363 runs in 2014 over the .281 average, 325 runs, and 43 HRs in 2016 (which was over double the 2014 total).

Thought it was interesting that we had over double the HRs this year than our regional year, but had far runs scored. We have to get back to our 2014 offensive numbers, especially in the Big Ten.

That was a really tough post-season to watch. Frankly, i'm glad it's over.

I can't tell if we under-achieved or are just not a good baseball team. As many have pointed out, our approaches were terrible against Western Carolina, and even though they were hitting against the Big12 pitcher of the year, the approaches were awful against him as well. Are our players just not good on the fly trying to know what they are going to do? Are they handcuffed by our staff. We really aren't bringing in any bats next year either besides Acker, so I wonder what we are going to do?

2016 totals:
BA - .281
Runs - 325
HRs - 43
ERA - 3.89

2015 totals:
BA - .276
Runs - 274
HRs - 22
ERA - 3.12

2014 totals:
BA - .293
Runs - 363
HRs - 19
ERA - 3.50

I bolded our regional years, but I don't know if you can make anything from these numbers or not. I just picked out some that had been talked about this year.

What is so frustrating, is there are so many kids in Kansas right now that could improve the offense....

EDIT: To add, I think the stats just show us that we are an average baseball team that occasionally gets hot.

Last edited:
Thought it was interesting that we had over double the HRs this year than our regional year, but had far runs scored. We have to get back to our 2014 offensive numbers, especially in the Big Ten.

Very good points.

I'd be curious to see the offensive numbers for the first-half of the season versus the second-half. Seems there was a clear trend downwards -- not just in the final four games. The pitching, however, did just the opposite. I remember posting the team ERA mid-season, which was well over 4.00 ... maybe closer to 4.50. And yet, they finished 3.50 (I'll bet it was under 3.00 for the second-half of the season). The pitching significantly improved. The bats, however, did not. In fact, there was no sense of small ball. Manufacturing runs was a nightmarish proposition.

Nebraska finished 137th nationally in On Base Percentage. That's the most important offensive statistic, IMO. Get on base and good things will happen.

71st nationally in home runs.

109th in batting average.

112th in runs scored.

And again, 137th in OBP.

Team ERA ranked 71st. Fielding percentage was very good at 31st nationally. You really can't fault the arms nor the defense. It's the bats! Again, that really bums me out because Erstad was a fantastic hitter in his prime. How that didn't translate to his team is puzzling.

Last edited:
What is so frustrating, is there are so many kids in Kansas right now that could improve the offense....

EDIT: To add, I think the stats just show us that we are an average baseball team that occasionally gets hot.

I agree on all points, but I also think there are kids in Nebraska not getting a look that could too. I don't know the answer.

And small consolation that 15 other teams were swept out this weekend and 47 others' seasons will end as well. None could go as ignominiously as we did yesterday, except maybe Vandy.

Would rather give Vandy a pass; they lost a brother, and they just couldn't focus, I would guess.

Would rather give Vandy a pass; they lost a brother, and they just couldn't focus, I would guess.

No doubt about it. To lose a teammate to a drowning the very day prior to having to play a regional game -- brutal. There was apparently a discussion to have the game postponed -- but Vanderbilt opted to play ball. I can't imagine how difficult that would be.

Last edited:
Clemson crushed W. Car, then OSU Dumped Clemson to advance.

The big 10 has been eliminated.

Clemson crushed W. Car, then OSU Dumped Clemson to advance.

The big 10 has been eliminated.

Minnesota played the best baseball of the Big Ten representatives ... but having to get by Texas A&M in the regional final was too much of a chore to expect.

Ohio State lost to Wright State, thus failing to make it to the regional final game. That said, Louisville would have been in their path.

Nebraska actually had the easiest regional of the three -- and the biggest belly flop.

Once again, the Big Ten brand of baseball is not a very good brand.

I am looking forward to following the rest of the tournament, however.

Season Comes to an End at NCAA Tournament

AQIRMUBLTQBUFWR.20160604212417.JPG

Jake Meyers allowed one run over 5.0 innings
Photo Courtesy Nate Olsen/Nebraska Communications

Courtesy: NU Athletic Communications
06/04/2016

Clemson, S.C. – The 2016 Nebraska baseball season came to an end on Saturday afternoon at Doug Kingmore Stadium in Clemson, S.C., with a 4-1 loss to the Western Carolina Catamounts (31-30). The Huskers ended the season with a 37-22 record and made their second NCAA Regional appearance in the last three seasons. Nebraska had scoring opportunities all afternoon, but was unable to get the hit it needed, while also hitting into five double plays.
Saturday’s game was delayed twice due to weather. First with two outs in the bottom of the fifth there was a 61-minute delay due to lighting. Rain then entered the Clemson area in the top of the eighth and the game was delay for 64 minutes

Sophomore Jake Meyers worked 5.0 innings for the Huskers and didn’t come out for the sixth following the lengthy weather delay. In his ninth start of the season Meyers allowed a run on six hits and three walks, while striking out three.

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" viewBox="0 0 32 32" title="More" alt="More" class="at-icon at-icon-addthis" style="width: 16px; height: 16px;"><g></g></svg>
Rest of the article:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210996997

Last edited:

Minnesota played the best baseball of the Big Ten representatives ... but having to get by Texas A&M in the regional final was too much of a chore to expect.

Ohio State lost to Wright State, thus failing to make it to the regional final game. That said, Louisville would have been in their path.

Nebraska actually had the easiest regional of the three -- and the biggest belly flop.

Once again, the Big Ten brand of baseball is not a very good brand.

I am looking forward to following the rest of the tournament, however.

Not so much for me, HWM. I may watch a little later, down the line.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back