• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lodge Cast Iron

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
Found this today but the sale was yesterday; http://deals.kinja.com/lodges-essential-cast-iron-pan-is-back-on-sale-for-15-1779663153

I went to the Amazon link and found it listed for $28.69 today so I went to the bottom and clicked on the 22 new from $13.84 link and found a new one shipped directly by Amazon (Prime eligible) for $14.97, tax included.

I love cooking with cast iron. Next up is a big, Dutch Oven (yeah, I know, left myself wide open with that one ;)).

Caveat: these are on back order so I/you may be waiting a while but its a pretty killer deal so I don't mind.

Last edited:
Found this today but the sale was yesterday; http://deals.kinja.com/lodges-essential-cast-iron-pan-is-back-on-sale-for-15-1779663153

I went to the Amazon link and found it listed for $28.69 today so I went to the bottom and clicked on the 22 new from $13.84 link and found a new one shipped directly by Amazon (Prime eligible) for $14.97, tax included.

I love cooking with cast iron. Next up is a big, Dutch Oven (yeah, I know, left myself wide open with that one ;)).

Caveat: these are on back order so I/you may be waiting a while but its a pretty killer deal so I don't mind.

Used to carry a dutch oven with us on horseback elk and deer hunting trips in the Colorado mountains back in the day. Great way to cook blue grouse. Pop a couple of those babies and stick 'em in the dutch oven with some potatoes, carrots, onions and spices and slow cook away.

I have a lodge Dutch. Nice to have when you use it. Can sear a roast on the stove, add liquid, and then throw in the oven.

Used to carry a dutch oven with us on horseback elk and deer hunting trips in the Colorado mountains back in the day. Great way to cook blue grouse. Pop a couple of those babies and stick 'em in the dutch oven with some potatoes, carrots, onions and spices and slow cook away.

Man, I haven't had grouse since I left home. Sounds good.

All the of fire stations here in Phoenix use cast iron and gas ranges. I liked them so much I bought them for home. Nothing beats a 30 year old cast iron skillet. Naturally nonstick, easy to clean, even heating. Sorry to butt in... just a big fan of cast iron.

All the of fire stations here in Phoenix use cast iron and gas ranges. I liked them so much I bought them for home. Nothing beats a 30 year old cast iron skillet. Naturally nonstick, easy to clean, even heating. Sorry to butt in... just a big fan of cast iron.

Nah dude, you're good. This thread is all about cast iron love.:thumbsup:

Cast iron is the only thing we use for cooking in the house. My Mrs. finally came to see the light long ago. She's the best.

I need me some more cast iron cookware.

Cast iron is the only thing we use for cooking in the house. My Mrs. finally came to see the light long ago. She's the best.

I need me some more cast iron cookware.

We're close. I still use a few non-stick pans for quick eggs and stuff but, other than that, I'm all about the cast iron.

I love frying chicken in mine.

How do you all clean yours?

Just scrub it with a steel scrubber(stainless, not wool) while its still hot. I've never used soap. Sometimes I'll throw a hand full of kosher salt in there and scour it with a wet paper towel. That works really well on tough stuff.

Man, I haven't had grouse since I left home. Sounds good.

Blue's aren't nearly as good eating as Ruffed Grouse, but they're edible...especially after a few hours in a dutch oven with the right assortment of stuff around them. Used to be legal to hunt Sage grouse back then as well....and that's a different story. I'm assuming it was their diet, but I never could figure out how to make them tasty..at all.

How do you all clean yours?

Just scrub it with a steel scrubber(stainless, not wool) while its still hot. I've never used soap. Sometimes I'll throw a hand full of kosher salt in there and scour it with a wet paper towel. That works really well on tough stuff.

Fred's already covered it here but I will add but I will echo that you should never, ever use soap. If it's properly seasoned, cast iron should never require more than hot water and a stiff brush. The kosher salt idea is a solid one.

Blue's aren't nearly as good eating as Ruffed Grouse, but they're edible...especially after a few hours in a dutch oven with the right assortment of stuff around them. Used to be legal to hunt Sage grouse back then as well....and that's a different story. I'm assuming it was their diet, but I never could figure out how to make them tasty..at all.

I was a pheasant hunting fiend, back in the day and I truly miss it. There was nothing quite like walking a field in really, really cold conditions and having to damned near step on one to flush it. The resulting cacophony and explosion of feathers is like nothing else and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to blow that bird out of the sky for scaring the ******** out of me. ;)

I was a pheasant hunting fiend, back in the day and I truly miss it. There was nothing quite like walking a field in really, really cold conditions and having to damned near step on one to flush it. The resulting cacophony and explosion of feathers is like nothing else and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to blow that bird out of the sky for scaring the ******** out of me. ;)

Same here. I'd drive to Eastern Colorado, Western Kansas or Southwestern Nebraska and hunt between five and ten weekends every season. Since I moved to the dirty South I've been twice. Both long roadies back home. That late season hunting you're talking about is my favorite as well. Just me and my dog hunting edges and fence lines. I miss it something fierce.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back