• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Richie Incognito's long road from pariah to relevancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've seen him in the bars down here a couple times since he left the Dolphins. He was drinking, but calm as could be. So far so good. :)

I've seen him in the bars down here a couple times since he left the Dolphins. He was drinking, but calm as could be. So far so good. :)

The thing is if he was genuine you would probably not see him in the bars. As alcohol is the most likely reason that he would again do something stupid.

The thing is if he was genuine you would probably not see him in the bars. As alcohol is the most likely reason that he would again do something stupid.

What makes you say that? Alcohol wasn't involved in the Miami situation. I really didn't think the stuff there was 'THAT' bad, especially in the context of an NFL locker room. Did he cross the line? Sure. Did he ruin some guys life? Not hardly. He also didn't appear the only one giving that guy a hard time, he was just the scapegoat. Idk, I might be entirely wrong since I haven't read much about it in awhile but it sure didn't seem like he did anything significantly worse than what likely goes on in any other NFL locker room. He just got caught

What makes you say that? Alcohol wasn't involved in the Miami situation. I really didn't think the stuff there was 'THAT' bad, especially in the context of an NFL locker room. Did he cross the line? Sure. Did he ruin some guys life? Not hardly. He also didn't appear the only one giving that guy a hard time, he was just the scapegoat. Idk, I might be entirely wrong since I haven't read much about it in awhile but it sure didn't seem like he did anything significantly worse than what likely goes on in any other NFL locker room. He just got caught

From his Wiki page.
In February 2004, Incognito was involved in a fight at a party and was charged with three counts of assault. In June, he was found guilty on one of the misdemeanor assault charges and paid a $500 fine. Incognito was shifted to center during the 2004 preseason camp. He entered the season with high expectations, listed on a number of preseason lists as a top center and named to the watch list for the Rimington Trophy going to the best center in college football.[11] On September 1, however, he was suspended indefinitely for repeated violations of team rules. The final straw for new coach Bill Callahan came when Incognito was once again involved in a fight in the locker room. Within a few weeks, Incognito withdrew from all classes at Nebraska and left Lincoln.[10][12]
2007 season[edit]
Incognito played and started at right guard for four games after being inactive for the first four weeks of the season. In early November, Incognito suffered a knee injury that forced him to miss the remainder of season.[16] However, while rehabilitating, it was later revealed that he had been partying nightly.[17]
Read the whole thing here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Incognito

Alcohol was not listed in many. In most cases it is serious anger management (often a signal of substance abuse) However alcohol was involved a few times. I will say this though if someone is having anger management issues alcohol only makes it worse.

I mean, I see what you're saying but if 2007 was the most recently reported alcohol-related incident, I would imagine 9 years is enough time to adjust his lifestyle. Who knows.. I wish Richie the best and hope he really has overcome his demons. Always makes you wonder what could've been for some guys if they could learn to just channel things the right way. He's already had a pretty great career

I mean, I see what you're saying but if 2007 was the most recently reported alcohol-related incident, I would imagine 9 years is enough time to adjust his lifestyle. Who knows.. I wish Richie the best and hope he really has overcome his demons. Always makes you wonder what could've been for some guys if they could learn to just channel things the right way. He's already had a pretty great career

Yeah. I hope he goes out in style to end his career with out any more F-Ups along the way.

The article bothers me ... I think the article was titled to try and show a reformed/changed Incognito. The article conveniently ignores several other factors in my opinion.

It it goes without saying that RI learned something and emerged a more mature cautious individual. BUT ... IMO the article ignores context. Context in which the alleged slurs and taunts were used. An NFL locker room is totally different an a grade school classroom. The people most offended were the media and people unaffiliated with the situation.

I have heard that he is very much a top teammate, that being said, it is obvious that at least one guy on the Dolphins didn't like the way he supported his teammates. I agree with some here that the NFL is a different type of work environment and if you aren't able to handle the extreme pressure it probably isn't for you. Martin I believe has played his last down. Ritchie, I believe, is not only tough enough to handle the pressure of the NFL but also the ridicule of his past mistakes. To me, that is has to be very difficult. As he so notably acknowledged, his "Give a s***" level is pretty low!

I have heard that he is very much a top teammate, that being said, it is obvious that at least one guy on the Dolphins didn't like the way he supported his teammates. I agree with some here that the NFL is a different type of work environment and if you aren't able to handle the extreme pressure it probably isn't for you. Martin I believe has played his last down. Ritchie, I believe, is not only tough enough to handle the pressure of the NFL but also the ridicule of his past mistakes. To me, that is has to be very difficult. As he so notably acknowledged, his "Give a s***" level is pretty low!

I think his NE teammates who he cheapshotted in practice would disagree.

Alcohol was not listed in many. In most cases it is serious anger management (often a signal of substance abuse) However alcohol was involved a few times. I will say this though if someone is having anger management issues alcohol only makes it worse.

There is no evidence that substance abuse played any role at all in any incidents since 2007. Even then, we don't know how much of a contributing factor it was in any of the problems. It could have been a cause, or just another symptom of being young and stupid. I think that blaming his problems on alcohol seems like a bit of a stretch. Whether it is or not, I would hope that he has learned from his mistakes and continues to keep his nose clean. He had a great year last year, so perhaps he has turned the corner!

There is no evidence that substance abuse played any role at all in any incidents since 2007. Even then, we don't know how much of a contributing factor it was in any of the problems. It could have been a cause, or just another symptom of being young and stupid. I think that blaming his problems on alcohol seems like a bit of a stretch. Whether it is or not, I would hope that he has learned from his mistakes and continues to keep his nose clean. He had a great year last year, so perhaps he has turned the corner!

My point is that if you already have a problem with fighting and anger going out to a bar and drinking is probably a pretty stupid thing to do. Even if you stay relitively sober there might be other drunks in the bar who want to prove themselves and pick a fight. If you are drunk you are more likely to take the bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back