• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

La Caja CHina BBQ Grills

Best pig roster on the market. I've thought many times of getting one and doing away with my smoker. I have a friend that uses hid bobcat to roast a pig, Digs a hole and wraps pig and has a steel slab he puts over the pig...it's completely covered and cooks from above...Best I have ever had. This is same concept.

I would add wood chip box on bottom for smoke flavor as well

I can't afford a La Caja CHina BBQ Grill just yet.

Anyone tried one of these? It's a dual purpose devise:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Toilet Grill-Cooler.jpg
    Toilet Grill-Cooler.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 163

Best pig roster on the market. I've thought many times of getting one and doing away with my smoker. I have a friend that uses hid bobcat to roast a pig, Digs a hole and wraps pig and has a steel slab he puts over the pig...it's completely covered and cooks from above...Best I have ever had. This is same concept.

I would add wood chip box on bottom for smoke flavor as well

I got to know and befriend many Samoans during my Army days. They used to do this about every Saturday during the warmer months. Just dug a hole, wrapped the pig in banana leaves and buried it with hot rocks and coals for the day. It was incredible.

Helped a friend of mine use his to roast a whole hog. Very easy to use, just have to keep changing out the coals. Skin was amazing as was the rest of the hog. Took about 4 hours.

i have one and it works great. easy to use and can be used to cook about anything. i use an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker inside the unit for smoke. you can order one online or at Cabela's.

What was/is size of the La Caja grill you used for the Pigs? I'm thinking of buying the Roaster Model #3.

I don't smoke a lot of whole pigs, so this probably wouldn't be ideal for me. It would be a great thing for my neighbor to have though.

if you are going to do whole hogs you will need the #2 that takes up to 100 lb pig, but a 100 lb pig will only fit in that box if you cut off either the head or a good portion of the hind legs. The price point on whole hogs that i have purchased seems to drop in price above 70 lbs. so i usually go for a 70 to 100 lb hog. also keep in mind that a larger hog will take longer to cook than the instructions show. best bang for your buck in a whole hog cooker in my opinion. further food for thought if you have never cooked a whole hog. everyone that attends will never forget the experience if done right.

if you are going to do whole hogs you will need the #2 that takes up to 100 lb pig, but a 100 lb pig will only fit in that box if you cut off either the head or a good portion of the hind legs. The price point on whole hogs that i have purchased seems to drop in price above 70 lbs. so i usually go for a 70 to 100 lb hog. also keep in mind that a larger hog will take longer to cook than the instructions show. best bang for your buck in a whole hog cooker in my opinion. further food for thought if you have never cooked a whole hog. everyone that attends will never forget the experience if done right.

I agree on the experience thing, I have a rotisserie that can handle a 200+ pound (live weight) with head removed. Charcoal fire. Have done many weddings and other large events. Always very well received.

Just saw that Bobby Flay had what looked like a La Caja on his Grilling show on Cooking or Food Channel.

I saw another cooking show that had one of these but they put a side of bacon and a pork shoulder on the bottom and then above that they had a rack with a small hog on it. All the drippings soaked the meat below it. I think it may have been Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel. It looked very good.

it isn't an every weekend bbq but it is a great bbq tool for more than whole hogs. you could pay a lot more and not get more IMPO

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back