• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Year 5 Of Erstad And

I have far more faith in Miles than Erstad. At least Miles is a coach. Erstad is a former major leaguer and Husker player. How you could hand him the reigns with a total of 1 yr volunteer experience is beyond me. Now entering year 5 he has one regional appearance with one win over Binghamton, and Nebraska, with some of the best baseball resources in the country, is left out of the preseason Big 10 coaches poll.

I was hoping he would come in and do really well but......:rolleyes:

I think he needs to recruit and keep an Ace pitcher like Komine or Joba Chamberlain, and difference makers like Gordan. Seems like he gets a potential difference maker and he jumps into the draft.

I have far more faith in Miles than Erstad. At least Miles is a coach. Erstad is a former major leaguer and Husker player. How you could hand him the reigns with a total of 1 yr volunteer experience is beyond me. Now entering year 5 he has one regional appearance with one win over Binghamton, and Nebraska, with some of the best baseball resources in the country, is left out of the preseason Big 10 coaches poll.

Yep.

I was hoping he would come in and do really well but......:rolleyes:

I think he needs to recruit and keep an Ace pitcher like Komine or Joba Chamberlain, and difference makers like Gordan. Seems like he gets a potential difference maker and he jumps into the draft.

In a roundabout way, you are saying what I have said about all of our athletic programs for years. We have to grow our own. Two of the names you mentioned were from Lincoln, and the third was a lightly recruited player from Hawaii.

Baseball is a very difficult collegiate sport to excel in when you are a northern school. Not impossible, but very difficult. Most of the top recruits from the warm weather states want to go to a warm weather school. If you look at the rosters of most of our past great teams in baseball and other sports, many of the big contributors were from Nebraska.

Yes, we need to recruit nationally, but we really need to develop some excellent high school athletes in Nebraska, and then recruit them to Lincoln.

Sadly, it's a challenge to get excited about NU baseball in the post-Van Horn world.

As I've said many times before, we'll never again reach the pinnacle we did with DVH. But we should definitely be the cream of the crappy Big Ten crop.

The Huskers need to make some noise in Season five of the DE era but I am not going to throw this season in the toilet before we have even played a game.

Last edited:

Sadly, it's a challenge to get excited about NU baseball in the post-Van Horn world.

As I've said many times before, we'll never again reach the pinnacle we did with DVH. But we should definitely be the cream of the crappy Big Ten crop.

And exactly why is it that DVH decided to leave?

And exactly why is it that DVH decided to leave?

Well, he said it was because his wife was from Arkansas and she wanted to get closer to home. I tend to think that being in a little better recruiting area probably was at least a tiny factor in the decision.

The athletic department is to blame on the downturn of Husker baseball. Childress was ready and willing to be a lifer at DONU as head coach. Instead, the AD choose Mike Anderson.

That was the proverbial fork in the road.

Yeah, because those predictions are a lock and those guys are never wrong.

Give it a rest, Cheese.

Ill give it a rest when we hire a real baseball coach.

No, the positions aren't a lock, but it is letting you know what the B1G thinks of Erstads Huskers, and that is, "not much"

Remember when we entered the B1G and thought baseball dominance was a given?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back