• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Hughes gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Right, but if a big part of your coverage team comes from the LB and TE corps and you're lacking depth there, then it would reason that your coverage units would suffer.[/QUOTE

I refuse to accept that as an excuse. If you are worried about having enough athletes on your coverage teams, then you change the way you kick the ball or you change your coverages. Isn't that the purpose of having a full time coach in that area, to fix any of these issues that come up?

Ah, yes. The old "If you don't have bread, eat cake" nonsense. If you are short-handed, changing coverages or kicking schemes can't make up for that. That is just football ignorance or as I suspect agenda.

I do agree with you that there are a few on here who want to see Coach Riley fail.

Just as there were a few on here (actually more than a few near the end) who wanted to see the old staff fail. It's not an either/or scenario with me. I didn't like this hire, but that doesn't mean I want the old staff back. I don't think Coach Riley and the new staff will see great success, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to win a championship. I root for the N, not the Bob, Tom, Frank, Bill, Bo, or Mike.

Yes Skunk. Unlike some people on this board, I can actually criticize a coach when it's fair to do so without actually wanting to see that coach fail.

But you also fail to give this staff credit when it's due because it goes directly against your agenda of only pointing out the flaws.

Ah, yes. The old "If you don't have bread, eat cake" nonsense. If you are short-handed, changing coverages or kicking schemes can't make up for that. That is just football ignorance or as I suspect agenda.

Oh good, the wagons are circling.

You absolutely can come up with different wrinkles to make up for "short-handed" units. But keep the wagons circling.

But you also fail to give this staff credit when it's due because it goes directly against your agenda of only pointing out the flaws.

They are out in full force today.

Dude, they went 6-7 and had some really bad losses. I'm not sure what you want me to do. I've said over and over that the MSU and bowl wins were awesome, and the staff did a great job in both games. But that doesn't magically erase 7 losses. The only agenda I have is the same as yours, to watch NU become nationally relevant again.

I would say that the lack of LBs, the injuries to LB, and us redshirting two very good DB recruits that came in, special teams was going to be tough this year.

That being said, for 450k/season I would have liked to see some wrinkles to help in that area, which is why I thought we would bring him in. Texas Tech tries to do something new on special teams every week, that outside the box thinking landed their ST coach a co-OC job and recruiting coordinator gig at his alma-mater. We really just kept things basic and crossed our fingers that our "under-manned" squads would get the job done.

*** many on here keep harping on Coach Read's salary. If Coach Riley believes he deserves that salary and is doing what is expected of him coaching and recruiting, then that is good enough for me.

As to the Texas Tech comparison...Was TT short-handed or pretty much full strength on special teams. I know from having coached, that the more short-handed you are, the more basic you must become because you are throwing players into the breech that may not be ready for the responsibility. Better to be basic and not give up a return TD.

Oh good, the wagons are circling.

You absolutely can come up with different wrinkles to make up for "short-handed" units. But keep the wagons circling.

I've coached special teams before (admittedly in high school but the principles are the same) and I ask...please detail what "different wrinkles" specifically YOU could enlighten us with that could account for short-handed units.

*** many on here keep harping on Coach Read's salary. If Coach Riley believes he deserves that salary and is doing what is expected of him coaching and recruiting, then that is good enough for me.

As to the Texas Tech comparison...Was TT short-handed or pretty much full strength on special teams. I know from having coached, that the more short-handed you are, the more basic you must become because you are throwing players into the breech that may not be ready for the responsibility. Better to be basic and not give up a return TD.

My salary issue is a direct result of better special teams play across the nation and previously at Nebraska, by people making half as much with more responsibilities. He's making that much money and we were extremely basic in that phase of the game, and as threads have shown, frankly we were disappointing there.

Not sure on how short-handed they were, but I know whoever they had running down there they weren't as good as Janovich, Reed, Ferguson, Jones, etc., and that is actually why they used more wrinkles, because they didn't have the talent to compete straight up and tried to gain an advantage in that phase. The wrinkles on special teams aren't all that elaborate, and quite honestly is how I can tell who has better players and S&C program. No matter how injured we were, the Red Raiders didn't have better football players on special teams than us.

I don't want to see anyone associated with Nebraska fail, ever. Not sure if that fits in this thread but there is so much crap in here maybe no one will notice. Thanks again Coach Hughes for your time, good luck in the future.

I've coached special teams before (admittedly in high school but the principles are the same) and I ask...please detail what "different wrinkles" specifically YOU could enlighten us with that could account for short-handed units.

You could start by doing what teams did to NU in 2014. Just have Foltz roll out and kick it rugby style. That throws off a lot returners at this level. Or if you know the coverage unit is "short handed", tell Foltz to angle the kick to the sidleine or out of bounds.

But again, I apologize profusely. The special teams unit was excellent in all areas.

NET punting rankings
Texas Tech: 57
Nebraska: 45

Kickoff return defense rankings
Texas Tech: 117
Nebraska: 22

Punt return rankings
Texas Tech: 92
Nebraska: 42

Kickoff return rankings
Texas Tech: 80
Nebraska: 122

FG percentage ranking
Texas Tech: 17
Nebraska: 41

You could start by doing what teams did to NU in 2014. Just have Foltz roll out and kick it rugby style. That throws off a lot returners at this level. Or if you know the coverage unit is "short handed", tell Foltz to angle the kick to the sidleine or out of bounds.

But again, I apologize profusely. The special teams unit was excellent in all areas.

Do we even know if rugby punting is something Foltz is efficient at?

Our NET punting wasn't THAT bad that we needed to try having Foltz change his style to something be may not be comfortable with. It was actually better than it was in 2014, and I don't remember a single poster wanting Pelini to have Foltz rugby punt.

NET punting wasn't as bad as say...use of the quote function in this thread. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back