• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best pizza/other dough recipe?

NU_Alum

Husker Fan
5 Year Member
Made a pizza crust the other day using cake flour and it was pretty good. I want to make it better though so I'm looking for suggestions on what you do for typical dough recipes, pizza or otherwise.

I want to make a big batch and freeze them so I can whip it out when needed.

i like to add basil or oregano to my dough. Then left it flavorize for a few days in the fridge. Never thought of using cake flour.

Made a pizza crust the other day using cake flour and it was pretty good. I want to make it better though so I'm looking for suggestions on what you do for typical dough recipes, pizza or otherwise.

Sounds kind of kinky and naughty too......:rolfl:

Last edited:

Dude, while I enjoy whipping it out when needed as much as the other guy, I'm not going anywhere near the freezer. Can you post up your dough recipe? I've never really gotten serious about making pizza because we have several killer, local joints but I'd be willing to take a stab at it. Thanks.

I did Bobby Flay's last time. It was decent.

I've been looking at a few more trying to put a few together that look really good, nothing concrete yet.

I did see a guy that preheated his pizza stone (I don't have one yet) to 500 then put the pizza on it and turned the oven to broil only. He said the hot stone combined with the broil gave it that nice charred look on top without burning the crust.

I did Bobby Flay's last time. It was decent.

I've been looking at a few more trying to put a few together that look really good, nothing concrete yet.

I did see a guy that preheated his pizza stone (I don't have one yet) to 500 then put the pizza on it and turned the oven to broil only. He said the hot stone combined with the broil gave it that nice charred look on top without burning the crust.

Thanks. I'll take a look. Do you do the deep dish or the thin crust? I love perfectly done in a brick oven, thin crust pizza.

Last edited:

Thanks. I'll take a look. Do you do the deep dish or the thin crust? I love perfectly done in a brick oven, thin crust pizza.

Thin all the way. I want a little extra crisp when I bite but I don't want it dry. It's a fine line. This recipe is decent but I'm confident there are others out there better.

Thin all the way. I want a little extra crisp when I bite but I don't want it dry. It's a fine line. This recipe is decent but I'm confident there are others out there better.

Isn't that kinda blasphemous, given your place of residence? :Biggrin:

I've been experimenting with different recipes the past week, trying to find that perfect crunch on the bottom, a bit chewy, but holds up well with a lot or little toppings. I will let you all know the results, if interested.

I've been experimenting with different recipes the past week, trying to find that perfect crunch on the bottom, a bit chewy, but holds up well with a lot or little toppings. I will let you all know the results, if interested.

I'm interested!

After years of playing around with different combinations of dough and olive oil bastes, my wife makes an amazing grilled pizza. It literally stopped foot traffic when she made it at a tailgate and we ended up getting several email addresses from folks who wanted the recipes. Fair warning, I tried to make it the other week without her and while it was really good, it wasn't the same. It's probably one of those deals where she says she's following the recipe, but is actually making small adjustments out of habit.

Anyway, she uses this dough and this mix to brush on both sides before adding toppings.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you some of the particulars on the process.

After years of playing around with different combinations of dough and olive oil bastes, my wife makes an amazing grilled pizza. It literally stopped foot traffic when she made it at a tailgate and we ended up getting several email addresses from folks who wanted the recipes. Fair warning, I tried to make it the other week without her and while it was really good, it wasn't the same. It's probably one of those deals where she says she's following the recipe, but is actually making small adjustments out of habit.

Anyway, she uses this dough and this mix to brush on both sides before adding toppings.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you some of the particulars on the process.

Won't get a chance to make this week but should next week. That's a different process than I've ever done and I'm very intrigued. Any tips you have are much appreciated. Thanks!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back