• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best wine to cook oxtail in?

husker6

Huskers Rising
10 Year Member
Any preferences?

Also it's been a while since I've made oxtail so I'm starting with the basics. Brown, braise long and slow with root veggies and broth.

Any tips you can share? (NO heat like pepper or red pepper, etc. The wife can't take it. Well from the food that is ;))

Thanks

Any preferences?

Also it's been a while since I've made oxtail so I'm starting with the basics. Brown, braise long and slow with root veggies and broth.

Any tips you can share? (NO heat like pepper or red pepper, etc. The wife can't take it. Well from the food that is ;))

Thanks

A decent Pinot Grigio just works well with meats. Barefoot is a decent one for a fair amount. Around $10 or $12 bucks. I just can't recall the name of the Pinot Grigio I actually have in mind, but it comes in a fairly tall, skinny, triangle shaped bottle. Give Pinot a try, I think you'll like it.

I've heard that Thunderbird in a nice 2015 vintage goes nicely with oxtail. ;)

How'd they turn out? I have never tried it but have always wanted to.

A decent Pinot Grigio just works well with meats. Barefoot is a decent one for a fair amount. Around $10 or $12 bucks. I just can't recall the name of the Pinot Grigio I actually have in mind, but it comes in a fairly tall, skinny, triangle shaped bottle. Give Pinot a try, I think you'll like it.

I think oxtail is one of those things that needs red wine. I'd go with a cab or zin.

I've heard that Thunderbird in a nice 2015 vintage goes nicely with oxtail. ;)

How'd they turn out? I have never tried it but have always wanted to.

I'll make sure to post it but I'm hoping for time to really do it right next weekend.

Thanks

I think oxtail is one of those things that needs red wine. I'd go with a cab or zin.

You know Joe, you could be right about that. In that case, I love this wine called Apothic Red.
0008500001774_A

This would make a great $10 dollar bottle of wine to cook with....
The wine is a blend of zinfandel, Syrah and Merlot.
It's quite the tasty, affordable wine imo and would most likely work quite well here.

Last edited:
I'll make sure to post it but I'm hoping for time to really do it right next weekend.

Thanks

Will you post up your recipe, please? I've never had them and would like to try making some this fall/winter once grilling/smoking season slows down.

Thanks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back